Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab update

Johnny5

I downloaded the new update. I tried it out in Field @ with 4Hertz and bottle caps ring up as 40 when I switch to Multi they show up as 20. I'm not sure why the numbers change. Has this happened to anyone?

4khz makes many targets sound wonderful including Bottle caps. Lol You are not alone. I experienced the same thing.

I downloaded the new update. I tried it out in Field @ with 4Hertz and bottle caps ring up as 40 when I switch to Multi they show up as 20. I'm not sure why the numbers change. Has this happened to anyone?

Target IDs are not normalized using the Equinox lower single frequency modes so in 4kHz everything will read extremely high. The lower frequency modes are really for target evaluation=ferrous/non ferrous tones on really deep targets that are hopefully silver. As far as using 4 and 5 kHz for an actual search mode............. I would have to memorize a whole new set of target IDs and forget about tone bins completely. Using 15 or 20 kHz (if you have the 800) in high EMI situations works pretty well and the target IDs are close to the same as in Multi.

When in 4 kHz, and switching to multi how does anyone know what the freq./kHz is?

Could it not be simply unmasking any of the multi kHz?

In multi one just has to guess what the freq./kHz is? ? ?

Is the 3.0 update worth using here in the USA or was the 2.0 better? I just got my nox 800 and not sure which to use.

Is the 3.0 update worth using here in the USA or was the 2.0 better? I just got my nox 800 and not sure which to use.
I went to the new version 3 for a few weeks. I like the iron bias F2 so using any mode other than multi you don't have any iron bias. Rules out 4kHz for me. Readings in 4kHz seemed off and not very stable. Depth readings with version were a mile off compared with version 2. I was finding dimes with a 4 or 5 “shovel” depth indication on the surface between blades of grass. Version 3 really didn't light my fire so I went back to version 2. Version 2 seemed to have more consistent VDI readings. But, that's just my opinion. Others may get more out of version 3.

Could it be that from the inception no one had used a multifunction; therefore, everyone began to complain about the machine was 'chatty'! Naturally, if one had never used a multifunction metal detector, it would be 'chatty' to them. It would be beeping on everything under the coil! Then, to attempt to please the customer the company began to implement an update to appease them. Now, they have added an additional freq./kHz. The only possible advantage would be to cherry pick with the 4 kHz which is designed for complimenting large silver jewelry and coins? To determine if there is any difference simply go from 4 kHz, to 5 kHz. In multifrequency you are undoubtedly going to hear 'chatter'! Why wouldn't you?
As I have always said, my White's Spectra V3i is possibly as good of a metal detector to compliment the Minelab Equinox 800. The V3i shows the freq./kHz independently/simultaneously in both the search mode, and in the pinpoint. With my Equinox 800 in multifunction all one can do is simply 'guess' at it.
With that being said, I will keep the latest update and use it. What benefit would I have removing it? It would probably take a year to use it, and weigh any feedback from others to make an informed decision.

Could it be that from the inception no one had used a multifunction; therefore, everyone began to complain about the machine was 'chatty'! Naturally, if one had never used a multifunction metal detector, it would be 'chatty' to them. It would be beeping on everything under the coil! Then, to attempt to please the customer the company began to implement an update to appease them. Now, they have added an additional freq./kHz. The only possible advantage would be to cherry pick with the 4 kHz which is designed for complimenting large silver jewelry and coins? To determine if there is any difference simply go from 4 kHz, to 5 kHz. In multifrequency you are undoubtedly going to hear 'chatter'! Why wouldn't you?
As I have always said, my White's Spectra V3i is possibly as good of a metal detector to compliment the Minelab Equinox 800. The V3i shows the freq./kHz independently/simultaneously in both the search mode, and in the pinpoint. With my Equinox 800 in multifunction all one can do is simply 'guess' at it.
With that being said, I will keep the latest update and use it. What benefit would I have removing it? It would probably take a year to use it, and weigh any feedback from others to make an informed decision.
Humm.... Read your post 3 times. Kinda makes go sense

Humm.... Read your post 3 times. Kinda makes go sense
In response to "Read your post 3 times. Kinda makes go (sic) sense."
With the Equinox 800 to assist all members with the evaluation of the multfunction.
To determine what the freq./kHz is. When reading the VDI numbers (Visual Discrimination Indication numbers) are they normalized? Specifically, to the traditional VDI numbers 'really' tell the operator anything with any certainty? A US nickel detected with a 6kHz detector will have the same VDI as with a 15kHz detector.
My research has indicated most state the VDI numbers are anything but consistent with the 4 freq./kHz and in multfrequency.
Whatever the target below the coil the VDI should be revealed as the same VDI regardless of the freq./kHz? After all, the metal does not change?