Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Miner's Camp and Adobe Ruins Hunts, Gold Keeps Flowing!:detecting:

William-NM

I did some hunting around a steep slope with some old adobe & timber cabin ruins just below town. This hill is above where the old train station stood. Here's the view from one of them, and my daily axe head, found under the walking path.
hillside-adobe-ruin_zps9969ada5.jpg
axe-head_zps82e84ccc.jpg

In addition to some copper and brass recyling, it yielded a few nice finds, including a sterling ring with gold band that was flat as a pancake and charred black from a fire. I had no idea that I had found gold until I got home and started cleaning it up. I popped the stone out and tried to straighten the bezel out. Still a work in progress.
silver-gold-ring_zps0882d50b.jpg
ring-back_zps73dd5c22.jpg

I also found half of a token for 5 cents off on "...Keeneys "Refresh-Min...", a young cowgirl's horse pendant, a 1964 Mexican nickel, a lead seal, a couple each of marbles and clock keys, and a brass sign or fob for 'Old American Brand', and a 1940 dog tag.
token-keys_zps869f78b7.jpg
token-reverse_zps45293e8e.jpg
horse-pendant_zpsf7692b85.jpg

Just a few bottles, my favorites are the Vess "Billion Bubble Beverages" bottle and a Hind's Honey and Almond Cream bottle. I also got a Tootsie Toy wrecker that isn't going to be on the road anytime soon.
bottles_zpsf75808e4.jpg
tootsie-toy-wrecker_zps101744a4.jpg

The axe head and a horseshoe, and a view of the hill above the ruins - a regular hippie/homeless heaven!
adobe-ruin-axe_zpsafe7605d.jpg
hillside-village_zpsebe3a710.jpg

Oh, and here are the rest of the finds:
stuff_zpsc64c9e71.jpg

I decided to hunt an old mining camp that I had come across while hiking - just a one or two man camp, I think - I found three test digs and a deep shaft in the immediate area. I love just being up here - I always feel connected to the land and usually see arrowheads and pottery shards. The silence is deafening.
mining-camp-test-dig_zps6209c82e.jpg
mine-shaft_zpsf42ce97f.jpg

mining-camp_zpsd37fd2c5.jpg
mining-camp-view_zps57ad50ac.jpg

Not much to indicate that there had been a camp except some iron remains (leg of lightweight woodstove, flue pipe scattered around the site...) and a little level area with rock piles around it. I had hunted the camp when I first got my AT Pro about 1 1/2 years ago, but didn't find much. I decided to take another crack at it, hoping for a coin or mining relic. I must have improved a bit, as I found a few keepers, my favorite being a blasting cap tin embossed "California Cap Company" in rusted but good shape and with the original padding intact. These are going on ebay for $20 - $50, though I'll keep it for now. I also found a nice pulley and iron animal (or maybe dinner!) bell, and an army shirt button, Little Super Mac button, and pocket knife.
mining-camp-bell-pulley-blasting-cap-tin_zps9f00b029.jpg
blasting-cap-tin-interior_zps16aa641b.jpg
mining-camp-button-knife_zps538778a3.jpg

A few other iron items - a chisel and giant nail being used as a chisel, a piece of saddle hardware, and a mystery item. The part with the comb teeth reads "Durham Demonstrator" ???
mining-camp-iron-2_zps3cf9bdbb.jpg

The camp only seemed to have two current residents - baby lizards, one of which had just caught a cricket for lunch as I watched.
two-baby-lizards_zpsd4c7aaf1.jpg

This represents an improvement over the last time that I was up here when a Tarantula kept circling me, despite my clear directions that Mexico is to the Southwest! I had also encountered a large diamondback on several occasions while hiking this particular hillside.

I did a quick scan of the tailings pile - just found some rusty iron and a couple of rocks that will get cracked open, as they sounded off.
mine-tailings_zps55ef89de.jpg

And here's a pin that I found last year - one of my first ghost town jewelry finds. I like the squash pattern, and it was found, appropriately, in the garden of a ruined adobe home. I'm working on it, still need to set the stone and repair or replace the bezel.
ghost-town-squash-pin_zps0ff05e73.jpg

Thanks for looking and best of luck in the hunt to all!!
Remember: Jobs are for people without hobbies :rofl:

It IS a wonderful life. I give thanks every day!

Man, we never know what kind of post comes out of you! Great one again!:please:
Mud

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Can wait to start putting my Golden through its paces also.

An interesting and great bunch of finds. I love the ring and the squash jewelry. You sure are giving me the fever to get out and go I really enjoyed this post and thanks for sharing. good luck and hh.

Thanks for sharing more of your great hunts with us. Enjoyed the site pics -- something I intend to start doing on hunts. I like seeing the places others get to hunt in, as well as pics of the finds

n/t

Neither I nor the words already have google translator.
His themes are excellent and expected.:clapping:

You are also creating a school, each no more literature and images in many post, try to imitate him, without success, you are very very good.
numberone1.jpg

thanks for sharing

Great post and pics......You definitely make the best of what you like to do!...Hunting grounds that most of us dream of....GL...

Nice hunt and finds !

Awwww, (blush) - thanks for all the kind words :blush:

n/t

Hey William:
I went to google earth and zoomed in on
Vanadium, and also Hanover. Some very
interesting looking remains there. Have you
detected these areas yet? I sent you a couple
PM's.

Google Earth is the best thing since sliced bread!

Robert2300

Hi Robert,
I've done some detecting in Hanover, and there are a couple more sites that I'd like to hunt if I can get permission. Vanadium, believe it or not, seems to be mostly inhabited, though I was intrigued by one old place, just not sure who owns it. It's definitely time to get back into the research and start developing some new spots!