Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mining for lead

Geologyhound

These are finds from two days of hunting at the same site. I had never found a Civil War bullet and always wanted to. I thought perhaps I might someday find one or two, but I never imagined I would find this many. With all the iron grunts, I was using the Tekkna program with the 11x13 on my Deus 2. These all were a little twitchy on the VDI #, but were between 78-82. One which was mashed read 84. They all gave a nice tone. If I got a faint or iffy signal, I checked it with my custom fast program. If that gave me a better tone and/or a more consistent reading in the right range, I dug.

There appear to be at least four or five styles, perhaps more. The main group all are about the same length with a domed top and a flat spot on the tip. All of the flanges are roughly equal in size. There is also a group of three on the right which are shorter and have much smaller flanges. There is a group of four two-ringers on the left - all of which are shorter than the main group and have a shorter tip. Two of these have a wider bottom flange and two have a shorter bottom flange. In the bottom row, one bullet has a wider bottom flange and a more conical top than the main group. Most of the rest in the bottom row appear to be slightly shorter and have a bigger flat spot on the tip. Perhaps this is from hitting something, but they are not mushroomed out. I don’t know how much of this variation might be due to different bullet molds. From what I have heard, if they don’t have a dimple in the bottom, the bullets are “newer“. The two in the lower right corner don’t have a dimple. There is also a completely mushroomed bullet on the lower left. But, it appears to have a copper sheath base with a central post, and as such is probably much newer. Any help on identifying the rifle types would be greatly appreciated!

I found plenty of clad and five silvers. One of the Mercury dimes is 1916. I was afraid to look for the mint mark. Unfortunately it is Philadelphia. There are six wheats, three of which are from the 19 teens. I haven’t tried cleaning the full date area yet on those until they can dry out a bit more.

The Iodex mentholated ointment sample tin is theoretically from the 1920s. One of the blank discs is actually an old wheat penny which appears to have been mashed on a railroad. The other one is copper or brass, 25 mm, and looks like it had a raised rim. However, I can’t make out any detail on either side other than what appears to be spokes around the rim like an IHP (which would be 19 mm).

I do not know what the other grey disc is next to the Iodex tin. It is heavy, thicker than a coin, has no details on either side, is completely non-magnetic, looks more silver than lead, but not enough silver to be silver.

Thanks for any help, and thanks for looking!

Attachments

• D99A51BB-BEC7-4772-A555-6E93D5D875E4.jpeg
    D99A51BB-BEC7-4772-A555-6E93D5D875E4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 75
  • 2888BBCA-1CB8-4F1E-A282-6AAEA06CA223.jpeg
    2888BBCA-1CB8-4F1E-A282-6AAEA06CA223.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 75
  • 537EE2F9-B31C-4E16-93FC-88E62E602368.jpeg
    537EE2F9-B31C-4E16-93FC-88E62E602368.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
Wow thats a lot of lead never found a 3 ring being here in Ct nice finds though I did find
a absolutely mint I confederate button.
Mark

Wow, you did a lot of digging!!!
Nice group of silver coins.. too bad about the missing D on the Mercury dime, but still a great find… I found one a few years ago and it too was missing the D.
As to the bullets, to me they look post civil war, but I am no expert.
Is there history on any civil war activity in the area where you found them?
I can see where some have been shot by the rifling marks on them.
Be curious to see what others have to say about them.

Nice group of silver coins.. too bad about the missing D on the Mercury dime, but still a great find… I found one a few years ago and it too was missing the D.
Maybe a reenactment site the lead lack of patina is problematic, I am no expert either. heck of a hunt!

Bullet in the middle picture on the bottom left looks like a cleaner. All the bullets have a patina, just not a white one. I don't have civil war sites here but I have found a military 50-70 cartridge, that was adopted by the US government from 1866 to 1873 until replaced by the 45-70, that had no white patina on the bullet. It was a dark brown like some the the ones pictured above.

This is very close to a known large Union camp. Other members of my club were noting these are not powdery white like finds in some other states. It might have something to do with our local Ohio soil, which is generally rather mild. Based on the location, these would not have originated from a battle. It is in line of sight from the camp. More likely (and guessing from club member’s reported distribution) these bullets are from target practice, possibly shooting at game or for the fun of it, or sentries discharging weapons at the end of their shift.

Maybe a reenactment site the lead lack of patina is problematic, I am no expert either. heck of a hunt!
Thanks! Not having found one before I don’t have any experience with the patina. Based on property ownership, I don’t think any re-enactments could have been held here for at least the last 100 years. I might have to swing by a local gun shop and see what they have to say.

Bullet in the middle picture on the bottom left looks like a cleaner. All the bullets have a patina, just not a white one. I don't have civil war sites here but I have found a military 50-70 cartridge, that was adopted by the US government from 1866 to 1873 until replaced by the 45-70, that had no white patina on the bullet. It was a dark brown like some the the ones pictured above.
Are you referring to the mushroomed one with the copper jacket or the more conical all-lead one next to that one?

This is very close to a known large Union camp. Other members of my club were noting these are not powdery white like finds in some other states. It might have something to do with our local Ohio soil, which is generally rather mild. Based on the location, these would not have originated from a battle. It is in line of sight from the camp. More likely (and guessing from club member’s reported distribution) these bullets are from target practice, possibly shooting at game or for the fun of it, or sentries discharging weapons at the end of their shift.
I see… it is an unusually good amount of bullets to find.
That was the only thing that threw me off… the lack of chalky patina.
As I stated earlier, some show evidence of being fired… rifling marks although the bullets still retain their shape.
Very nice finds!!!👍👍

Are you referring to the mushroomed one with the copper jacket or the more conical all-lead one next to that one?
Bottom left corner one.

As for patina:

I see… it is an unusually good amount of bullets to find.
That was the only thing that threw me off… the lack of chalky patina.
As I stated earlier, some show evidence of being fired… rifling marks although the bullets still retain their shape.
Very nice finds!!!👍👍
Thank you! I am definitely looking forward to the next time our club is granted permission to be there.

Bottom left corner one.

As for patina:
Thank you very much!