Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mint no longer accepting “found” coins?

Ronstar

Just went in to turn in $60 worth of 25/10/5 coins at our bank. Advised US Mint no longer will accept coins that are oxidized, burnt, damaged, etc to the point of “not normally recognizable” or that banking facilities should not accept coins that could not be turned around and put back out to customers or businesses. Given website for USMint.gov which I cant find anything there that advises such.
I trust our bank and know they have to abide by the policies they get but when did this start. I have cleaned the coins to the point no dirt etc is present, only badly oxidized. Has there been a change in Mint policy? What about monies damaged by fires etc etc...?
Can somebody ref me to a site with definitive answers cuz above site is worthless for asking questions.

There is absolutely nothing on the website addressing this other than under Consumer Alerts there is an advisement regarding bent or other such damage in which the coins could not be counted by machine. I have sent an email to the Mint for further clarification and will post a response once received.
Ron

Update: Mint responded. They have nothing to do with banking policy so sounds like bank just trying to get out of accepting them. They have tho, temporarily stopped taking applications to accept mutilated monies. In a further inquiry, discolored coins is not considered mutilated. So, I will do a final update on this once I find out the banks reasoning. Thanks for your patience......

Contrary to popular belief Banks are Not required to accept any currency or coins. The mint for a long time would not take corroded zinc pennies. You have to ship damaged coins to them. If its zinc pennies it is not worth the hassle. Some Federal Reserve Banks May take damaged money. But not our local banks.

You lose ~6% value, but I take mine to the Coin Counter machines located at grocers or WallyMart outlets. Note - it won't accept 'toasted' zinc pennies either, but they often reject silver. Got two GW quarters a week or so ago. Their loss = my gain.

Update: Every retail store and bank out here are screaming for folks to turn in their piggy banks. Seems like the Mint had to slow down or stop production due to the current pandemic. The stores are pleading with customers to use cards or checks due to lack of change available . Since our local credit union is offering a lucky member a chance to win $50 for turning in rolled coins I emptied the whiskey bottle of all the coins I’ve been saving for two years. A bit under $100, score!! Asked now about the discolored coins I have the assistant manager looked and said they were mutilated and that the Mint has temporarily suspended its turn in program.
I politely pointed out they were not mutilated, just discolored. She started to stand her ground and I presented her a copy of the Mints page of defining what mutilated coins are. Nothing about discolored. I was told if the Mint doesn't accept them then the credit union and members suffer a loss. I explained they were soaked in hot water and every coin was scrubbed with an old tooth brush, clean but a might ugly in its current color.I then advised her that per the Mint the Mint does not tell banking facilities what to take or not take. Thats the job of the states Banking Regulatory Commission.
Spoke with them, passed the buck again. Said each individual bank should have a written policy on what they accept. This agency did not so she took the coins in good faith that they work in vending machines etc and that they are easily recognizable.
I think probably more banks etc are going to reject simple exchange if not cleaned up to a minimum of shiny looking again. It may behoove those of you who have discolored coins that now is the time to convince your bank to take them before some new regulation gets thrown at us and they are hurting for coins.

My old clad cleaning solution.....gave it out years ago.....try this .. cover your coins in white vinegar and add a table spoon of salt to a cup of vinegar....if you have a tumbler ..use aquarium gravel and tumble for a half hour....if not a jar with a screw on lid.....shake it for a few minutes and let it set for a while and do the same over and over for about a half hour or more.... rinse with water and wipe with a soft cloth or towel....rinse the coins thoroughly before you towel dry.

You now can't tell the difference between the coins in your pocket and the clad you just cleaned.... your bank will take your coins now.........your welcome !

I like the info but here is further........ now you will have to declare the coins were chemically cleaned and provide the chemicals used. Yes, those are organic in nature, but someone with sensitive skin will get a burn and a lawsuit will follow...... remember the hot coffee lawsuit? I swear no one has common sense anymore.

Wait, confused a bit...... cover in white vinegar then add salt to a separate cup of vinegar? Or do that first and simply cover the coins???

Wow. Not sure where some of you reside...but it sounds like the Gestapo has intervened. :oops:

Wait, confused a bit...... cover in white vinegar then add salt to a separate cup of vinegar? Or do that first and simply cover the coins???
throw the coins in a jar with a lid.... now just enough white vinegar to cover them.....add 1 tablespoon of salt into the same jar.... shake....or use the tumbler.....be sure to rinse with water and wipe with a soft cloth when done.

I like the info but here is further........ now you will have to declare the coins were chemically cleaned and provide the chemicals used. Yes, those are organic in nature, but someone with sensitive skin will get a burn and a lawsuit will follow...... remember the hot coffee lawsuit? I swear no one has common sense anymore.
ok....maybe you shouldn't try it ???????

I’m going to try it. Dad used to always say, “its best to live fast, die young, and be a good looking corpse.”

[/QUOTE]
I’m going to try it. Dad used to always say, “its best to live fast, die young, and be a good looking corpse.”

Yeah...you won't regret it and your coins will come out amazingly clean.

Salt and Vinegar mix will really make copper coins look funky. Try it on a penny or dime first. before you do a batch. I use a tumbler, aquarium gravel and a few drops of dish soap.

Salt and Vinegar mix will really make copper coins look funky. Try it on a penny or dime first. before you do a batch. I use a tumbler, aquarium gravel and a few drops of dish soap.
does not work on a copper penny....don't add a penny in the mix....it will discolor every coin in there !...Only clad coins ! Excellent on clad...copper is a no no ! Dish soap and aquarium gravel doesn't cut it.

My old clad cleaning solution.....gave it out years ago.....try this .. cover your coins in white vinegar and add a table spoon of salt to a cup of vinegar....if you have a tumbler ..use aquarium gravel and tumble for a half hour....if not a jar with a screw on lid.....shake it for a few minutes and let it set for a while and do the same over and over for about a half hour or more.... rinse with water and wipe with a soft cloth or towel....rinse the coins thoroughly before you towel dry.

You now can't tell the difference between the coins in your pocket and the clad you just cleaned.... your bank will take your coins now.........your welcome !

But not pennies as vinegar & salt corrodes copper! You might try baking soda & water on them --Not sure as I haven't dug up or cleaned coins for years! But salt & vinegar sure does clean Clad Nickels, Quarters & Dimes but some do need some scrubbing additionally when I cleaned them by hand; especially the edges--never had a rock tumbler! Many of mine have corroded green again as I still have most of my clads & definitely the silver I soaked in baking soda removed the black without scrubbing or rubbing--looks like I will need to clean many of my clad again to get rid of them! Ma is a put offer because of poor health & now cannot drive! Terrible to have to depend on others! :cry2: Ma Betty

works 4 me !

0710200938.jpg