Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Missouri Battlefield Gives Up Mixed Bag Of Finds

jimmyk

HI, all:

Had the opportuintiy to hunt a Missouri battlefield using my trusty F75 SE and my new Blisstool. Found an assortment of interesting finds. Not all Civil War. Was hunting a previously located picket post in the woods and found the item at the top. Part of a scaboard. Probably for a knife instead of a sword. The pile of coins were a coin spill in the same location. Seven memorial cents came out of a spot twelve inches in diameter. Beneath the top piece is the back off a cuff button and a smashed flat coat button. The back has the shank and you can barely make out the eagle on the front. Found a nice assortment of bullets, including the two ring .69 cal. Rifled Musketoon bullet top left. The coin at the bottom half of the picture is a 1885 shield nickle. A key date coin that my book says is worth $426 in good condition. Wish nickles would come out of the ground like silver does. The date and the rest of the detail is very hard to make out, but I'm almost 100% sure of the date. And finally, the item in the center. I was working part of the field where it is speculated that cannons were set up early in the battle. When I dug this item I thought it might be part of a friction primer, but after rubbing on it, I could see some writing. I put it in my pouch and went on. Later, after cleaning it you can read the words "DANGEROUS EXPLOSIVE BLASTING CAP" clearly printed on it. You just never know what you will find when out detecting. Even in a battlefield.

Thanks for looking and keep on diggin'

jimmyk in Missouri

Great finds Jimmy! I really like the 2 ring Musketoon bullet! Also a key dated nickel, very successful day indeed!!!

That Musketoon bullet is a really nice find. I have only found one of those and it takes front and center of my display. :thumbup: Congratulations on the key date Shield too...:clapping:

Nice! I have never found a musketoon bullet (or a key date old nickel for that matter!) I wonder what the blasting cap was for, stump removal?

Thanks, guys. I love the Musketoons as well. Have found eight or nine of them over the years at this site. The nickle is a "V", just to clarify.

jimmyk in Missouri