Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MMK Noob - What am I doing wrong?

Fearless Freep

I took out my brand new MMK (finally) into the yard to try it out and learn the basics. I have a White's MXT and so I know what to expect however, leaving the MMK in all default settings except changing it to Mode 3 and adjusting the Gain to 89 (for iron infested land where I'm going Sunday), I get nothing. I turn it on, push the GB to ground balance but it does nothing but hum while the GB button is pushed or when I release the button, it hums for about 5 seconds and then the hum stops. The screen shows 2 horizontal bars but passing the coil over a gold ring or a Canadian quarter produces no sounds. What setting am I missing? I feel so stupid.

If you leave GB to default settings (don't try to GB, just turn on the machine and go), does it still produce no sound and no ID on the mentioned targets ? If the GB is like the Nokta CoRe, it should hum while you pump the coil over the ground and when the GB is set, it will make a much higher pitched "ping" sound meaning GB is now set. If it continues humming and makes no other sound, GB can't be set for some reason.

Anything mentioned in the manual that could help you out ? I assume you read it but many people don't...

When I turn it on without GB, there areno tones when passing over my test metal. When I push GB, it hums as long as I push the button (30 seconds or more) and when I release it, the machine goes quiet...nothing happening when testing on metal. I've read the manual over and over.

He failed to mention as he did on another forum, this all started after doing the update.

Suggested he may have used the Kruzer update and not the MMK update. Suggested uninstalling the updater and start from scratch using the MMK update
http://www.makrodetector.com/update-kruzer-metal-detector.html The MK and MMK have different update "bin" files

Some folks, the update worked after the second attempt using the correct updater.

Sven said:
He failed to mention as he did on another forum, this all started after doing the update.

Suggested he may have used the Kruzer update and not the MMK update. Suggested uninstalling the updater and start from scratch using the MMK update
http://www.makrodetector.com/update-kruzer-metal-detector.html The MK and MMK have different update "bin" files

Some folks, the update worked after the second attempt using the correct updater.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about some of this, I apologize. Actually, even before doing the update I was unable to get anything other than a background hum out of the machine. GB or no GB, if I just turned the machine on and waved it over some different metals, it remained absolutely quiet except for the slight hum that disappeared after a while. I know with my MXT, I can just turn it on and it begins to chatter at any close metal, this MMK does not. I watched a lot of MMK videos today in case I was missing something but it does not appear to be the case. Yes, I post on another site as well only because I'm desperate to resolve this issue and both sites have awesome MMK users who I'm sure can assist me. If posting on two sites is bad, please let me know. Hope someone can help. Have a great weekend.

KindManTall said:
Sorta sounds like the coil is not connected right .. recheck it

That was my next thought---------------

I just posted on the other forum:
Do you have another coil to try?
I can duplicate your findings with the coil unplugged but, I don't get a hum.

KindMan Tall and Sven, I just unplugged the coil and plugged it back in. Turned on the detector and immediately tried to detect on a door knob...nothing but a hum. Tried GBing it and after a 30 second pump, no tone to say it was GB'd. Tried again to sweep past some metal and nothing. Sounds like a coil eh?

You need to contact Dilek at Makro and if possible take a video to show her.
[email subject=dilek@noktadetectors.com]dilek@noktadetectors.com[/email]

UPDATE...the detector is on it's way to their repair depot. Glad to know it wasn't something I was doing wrong. Now I need to locate a cup of patience for the return and launch of my new MMK in the difficult areas I detect in. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and support. You all rock.

Well I can finally bring closure to my MMK dilemma! It wasn’t operator error…the detector main board and screen were replaced and I successfully used it this past weekend in the woods! Works as advertised and what a difference in weight over my White’s MXT. No tired arm after a few hours of swinging! The toughest part is to learn what the detector is telling me as it differs from my MXT in many ways. The battery life is impressive given it’s charged by usb and after a 5 hour hunt, there was more than half of the battery icon still showing. Gonna love this detector for sure.
A very special thank you to Steve of Forest City Metal Detectors for assisting me in troubleshooting and eventually arranging to have the unit repaired. He even gave me an accessory for my troubles…one which I was looking at buying!
And Sven, your guidance and patience with my emails and posts is also appreciated as you are the MMK Guru for learning how to use it.
All that’s left for me to do now is find some awesome relics to post! And to be wary of the East Coast Coyote pups we could hear yipping nearby…bet momma was keeping an eye on us.

Isn't a happy ending just great? I'm really looking forward to mine (on order).