Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Modulation

Thound

I've had the VX3 going on a year now and have played around some with this setting but can't find a real need for it.Yes I know that deeper objects are fainter and shallow objects are louder if they are the same size but this is the opposite of what I want to do. It just seems that if Whites felt it important enough to add to the stripped down VX3 that it has some merit. I just really can't see it I guess. Has anyone ever found a really good use for this adjustment? Thanks and HH.

I haven't. I have talked with whites about making a depth discrimination setting to where you could eliminate the surface targets up to 4 inches.
If not that then at least make modulation backwards from what it is now. Make the deep targets come in louder and the shallow targets come in faint.
I'm hard of hearing as it is and I definately don't want the good deep targets to come in more quiet!

Some hunters are just interested in the deeper targets and ignore the surface targets. Modulation saves you a lot of time looking at the screen for depth on each target. Just hunt and listen for the deep targets and with Tone ID on, you can even ID the the deep target by audio as well......:thumbup:

Setting the Modulation setting to ON, and adjusting the range setting properly can have a pronounced effect on quieting the high pitched chirps from deep iron (nail tips) without effecting the full audio response of a coin target. While both a nail tip, and a high conductive target can produce a response in the same range the nail tip will generally be perceived as a deeper target than the coin, thus eliciting a modulated (quieter) response. The depth estimation ability of the V3/V3i is based on coin size targets. A nail tip will typically appear as a deeper target than a coin at the same depth because of this. The key to getting this to work is getting the Range setting adjusted for your ground conditions. I have moderate soil in my area. a setting of (4 on V3) or (2 On V3i) works well to achieve this effect.

Jack

Thats a very good tip there CyberSage.Iv;e always thought about modulation in terms of depth but not for sizeing but this gives me food for thought. Thanks and HH

The problem with modulation is the very deepest targets don't need to be made quieter. They are hard enough to hear.

You re right about that Rob. That's what is backwards about this adjustment. I liked Magics idea about reversing it. HH

Like Larry said, if you hunting in an area that is littered with pull tabs down 4 or 5 inches, you can turn on modulation and listen for the more faint signals and ignore the tab signals. I guess it has its place but like others, I am hard of hearing so I'm not sure I am getting the intended benefit from modulation. To each his own I guess.

That's how it works but are we using it?

[attachment 233855 cop.jpg]

Not me, I have Modulation OFF, I'll dig the clad..........:biggrin:

I tried using varying degrees of modulation but kept worrying about missing a faint hit. I also mentioned reversing the modulation on White's forum. I wonder how hard that would be and if current models could be changed. I currently turn mine off...

I believe Garrett at one time had a detector that had the ability to discriminate by depth. I think the V3i could even go beyond this ability. It seems like setting up a list of conditional response rules would be a doable thing. Not only by depth, but frequency dominance rules in mixed mode as well.

Surface blanking features, like you describe, were popular back in the early 1980s. However, with 80's technology a second target (below the shallow target being blanked out) would also be blanked out. As a result this feature was abandon. Today's technology would do a better job at chopping off target signals based on signal strength, however, would be susceptible to the same thing in that a second target, below a shallow target, would simply add to the first targets signal strength, and thus also be rejected. So in effect, the places you need surface blanking the most, high trash, would be the worst place to use surface blanking, making selling such a feature awkward at best. I can see how in low trash surface banking could help, however, the perception of most is that its purpose (only benefit) would be to use it in high trash, where anything under the surface targets will be obscured.

Rejecting targets based on the dominate frequency would be fairly easy software to write for something like the V3i. Although White's receives continued pressure to "keep it as simple as possible" rejection based on dominate frequency is an idea that may have some traction.

sHoward

is the hunt mode I'm in already. When I pinpoint over a target and it is not the dominate frequency that I expected for that VDI, I reject it and move on. :biggrin:

Good info Rob, and I agree Larry, the 3 frequency pinpoint features of the V3/V3i are unmatched at this point.

Larry I have got to tell ya .Here in maine those 83/84's that aren't green are large cents !!!!! I do think of you and Rob every time Large cent or bottle cap Bill

I will have to check that out Bill, but we are not blessed with a lot of LC's here in the Midwest. I have found two in the last 30 years.

And I have only one. I remember walking up to Larry and asking," What's this?"

Howdy--

I thought that I would have to chime in on this one. A recent inquiry by Supafly spurred me to perform a few air tests of my own. I must admit that some of the results on gold coins surprised me. So I conducted a few more tests and I thought that I would share them.

Using the V3i, in the Coin Mode, with the D2 Coil and the settings of: RX 1, AM 55 and Disc 55, I had these results:

$1 Gold (Types 1,2 & 3) VDI......14-16......Dominant Frequency.....22.5 KHz
$2.5 Gold (Lib & Ind) VDI......33-35......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$3 Gold VDI......35-37......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$5 Gold (Lib & Ind) VDI......49-50......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$10 Gold (Lib & Ind) VDI......54-58......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$20 Gold (Lib & St. G) VDI......74-75......Dominant Frequency......2.5 KHz
$50 Gold Buffalo .9999 VDI......87-89.....Dominant Frequency.......2.5 KHz

All coins are either PCGS or NGC slabbed. I don't know what , if any, influence the incapsulation had on any of these readings.

Hopefully this information will put a Gold Coin in your pouch!

Happy Hunting
Blind Squirrel