Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

moonstone

old lineman

Bought a pound of moonstone rough four years ago decided the other day to try to cut it. The left is a piece test cut and the right is rough

Hey lineman,
Looks like you did a dandy job of cutting the stone. I know absolutely nothing about the process, so, I have to ask, "What did you use to cut the stone and did you tumble it after cutting?" However, you did it, it looks great!

First I cut the rough with a diamond trim saw to rough shape it, then I use a 100 grit diamond wheel to do the rough grind, then I go to 220 grit silicon. After that I go to 320 grit silicon, then to 600 grit silicon and finally I polish it on a leather 6" disc charged with ccp polish. Sometimes with agate and jasper for the final polish I put it in a vibrating tumbler with other agate. That's basically the process.

I do a lot of Gem Mining in NC and have had many of my rough stones cut and faceted,
with great results! I have many rough Moon Stones, Amithyst, Sapphire, Citrine, Topas,
Termaline, as well as many stones yet to identify!

[size=large]Photo shows some of the Gem Stones Ifound in the rough and then had cut![/size]

Also, I use a tumbler, but having a problem completing the final polishing! I start out with
60 grit, 200 grit, 600 grit then Prepolish, but when I do final polish, I do not achieve desired
results! There is always a hazzy film on stones, after they dry. What type "Brand Name"
powder would you or anyone recommend?

Thank you,

Densuke

Nice stones. I use a vibrating tumbler. I start out with 220 grit, then 500 grit, then cpp polish with ceramic media. With the ceramic media in the polish step, I can put an excellent polish on obsidian, which is sometimes difficult. Johnson brothers sells cpp.