Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

More Depth From ProPointer

Adrian SS

If you want to get a bit more depth out of the Pro Pointer heres a cheap and easy way to do it.
Turn the pointer on where you want to use it and leave it on.
Get a piece of foil (small, work it out for yourself) and tape it to the pointer barrel or handle in a position that does not quite cause the probe to sound off, keep rings and other metal away while doing this and viola ! it will now detect at nearly twice the normal distance. If you turn the unit off and then on again, it will De Tune to the foil and depth will be lost, so leave it turned on until you are finish detecting and remember to take the foil off before you turn the probe on again
Well I did say it was cheap and easy
Adrian SS

i have to try that that one i like the pointer how it is , i usally dig to the right depth indacated , but ill give it a shot
thaks for the tip

TOM

No worries Tom.
It is probably something you will only try once because the Pro P seems to be set up spot on as it is; Unlike certain 6000 dollar machines that seem to need lots of add ons to get them to work correctly.:beers:
Cheers,
Adrian

Interesting tip Adrian! Thanks for posting it.
When I made a recent detector puchace a few weeks back, the chap in the shop showed me another method of increasing it's depth. He turned 2 of them on a small distance apart a got a similar result to what you got. I supose that if you experiment with turning it on inside the field of an active coil of your detector, it may create a similar result. I haven't thought to try it yet, but I'll give it a bit of a go later and see what happens. It may need to be on the same frequency as the probe though to work, which from memory is 12kHz.
Mick Evans.

I tried that but i used a dime and i held it by the on off button just back of whear it will start to beep and i got 2.25" on a dime amazing trick whithout i get about 1.25" on a dime

Thanks for posting your results Mick and Gunner.
See! I knew I knew I was good for something and not just an ugly face.
Adrian SS

So far the only negative aspect that I have noticed in playing with the Pro Ps sensitivity in this way is that it can become unstable more easily in mineralized ground.
Adrian SS

Adrian SS said:
So far the only negative aspect that I have noticed in playing with the Pro Ps sensitivity in this way is that it can become unstable more easily in mineralized ground.
Adrian SS

That makes sense since what you are doing is increasing the sensitivity.

Thanks for sharing this tip!

Thanks for the tip :beers:

This evening, what I did at times was held a dime against it with the thumb - close to the button, right next to where the LED is located. There were times that without the dime held against it I wouldn't get a signal on the target still in the hole. Then did the dime thing and there were times I did get it to work if the target was within the extra range. This way I can turn it right back off after I'm done. I toss the ProPointer in the pouch which has digging tools, trash, and hopefully good stuff, so I need to turn it off.
And this evening hunt, the LED light did help which is a nice touch Garrett did to the ProPointer. I hunted just to darkness.
Cool tip - haven't heard of this one before - and what makes someone come up with such an idea for a pinpointer is a strange one.

I was trying to find out if the Pro-Pointer operated with a continuous auto tune and when I realised it didn't then I figured it must set itslf to a level well below threshold and I wondered if by bringing it to just on threshold sound would it give a corresponding increase in sensitivity and it did, but in doing that some depth and stability is lost in mineralised ground.
Adrian SS

Thanks for that little tip. tried it out today but used a coin and just held it in place with my thumb as i pinpointed. If the pinpointer didn,t pick it up first go would do the coin on the side trick and 90 % of the time got a signal.

Thanks for the tip Adrian. I spend quite a bit of time this afternoon experimenting with various sizes and kinds of metal, from pull tabs to thin wires. My Propointer seems to gain a good inch in depth.
I did find that a stiff metal wire can be slid inside of a plastic tube, such as a coffee stir stick and slid back and for for best tuning. I am working on an arrangement that I can just tape to the Propointer and be left in place but slid out when needed. Will post some pictures when I get that far.

Thanks,

Jerry

Thanks for all the feed-back chaps.
Every one seems to be having a bit of fun with this and coming up with some inventive ideas.
:beers:
Adrian

I have just noticed on another forum where another chap has posted a topic about this same little Pro Pointer tip that is back dated to 23 Oct 2008. So I guess I was not the first to come up with this idea re increasing the detection depth of the Pro Pointer.
Just thought I would mention it so that people would not think I was stealing someone elses thunder.
Oh Boo Hoo.
Adrian SS