Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

More Finds

Cody

The detectors I use and have used over the years would detect deeper in all metal than in discrimination. There were others that had the all metal sensitivity reduced so it was the same as the discrimination but I think that gave way to better judgment of giving users greater depth in all metal.

My detectors appear to default to a low tone if a target is past the critical detection depth of discrimination. This makes sense to me or the user is going to dig a lot of very deep holes only to find junk if it defaulted to a high tone. What do we do about those targets that we can detect in all metal but not in discrimination? I noticed on the T-2 forum a heated debate about bottle caps that is not in my opinion a design problem but giving the user what they want issue. Unfortuantely killing bottle caps is going to mean less sensitivity to some desirable targets. We can kill bottle caps and screw caps with the Explore but with the understanding that a good target that his in that area is going to be rejected. It is the same with a pulltab and ring as we know.

Let me make a few suggestions with the idea of finding the deeper good targets. The selection of coils is very important. A coil has a physical and electrical footprint. The electromagnetic footprint is the target volume and includes all conductive materials. There is a major demand placed on the electronics to distinguish and present to the user in an effective manner the individual targets in a way that we can isolate to good ones. The more individual targets there are in the target volume the more difficult this is. If we use discrimination then an algorithm determines if an individual target in the target volume is presented as a good target.

I have extensively tested coils and targets at different angles to the coil and in different configurations and numbers. I have used free air and targets in the soil matrix. It is critical, in my opinion, that we understand depth of detection. An off hand example of what I am talking about is it is not how hard the ball is hit that makes it a homerun but that it is over the fence within the playing field. The coil can detect so many targets and or the settings can be so high that we get no depth on targets that are well within range of the detector. No matter how we sweep the coil and how long we have used a detector we get no depth on the target simply because the target will not be presented to the user as good. A stock coil is a general purpose coil and most are too large for trashy sites which are why most manufactures offer, as an accessory, a smaller coil. We may get mired down in the raw detection range of a smaller and larger coil but in trashy soil the smaller coil will greatly outperform the larger coil. I personally do not detect trashy soil with a stock coil but use the smaller ones. So, coil selection is very important in my opinion.

The second problem is discrimination in that we discriminate too much and there is a difference between detection depth in all metal and discrimination as I mentioned above. It is the difference in detection depth that can be effectively addressed as follows. An ultra deep low sounding target should always be investigated in my opinion. Coins are symmetrical while most trash is not. Symmetrical targets will most often give a sound that is the same if we sweep the coil from several directions. Trash targets will change sounds or breakup. This is what I use to determine if I am going to dig an ultra deep low sounding target. If the low tone indicates a symmetrical target then I dig it up. This actually is fairly easy to determine in that a nice consistent low tone when the direction of sweep is changed is what I am calling a symmetrical sound. I dig those targets.

There are other targets that have mixed sounds. What they are telling us is the target is co-located or is generating different time constants that are being reported to the user. As an example some targets are on the fringe of detection so are reported as a low sound and a high sound. The processor cannot seem to decide which way to report the target. Coins at angles will gives these sounds and often are being influenced by other targets within the target volume. I always isolate and dig these sounds.

What I don

This I have found to be true on my own..I agree, I wish I knew this at the beginning, but this is where one breaks from the norm and experiments, and learns from trying new things...I find the conductivity location of the curser is more accurate then the ferrous curser location, so as far as I am concerned, I leave the smart screen wide open with no discrim. and dig the extreem deep iron targets, and if they are lower than iron but way left and midway or lower on depth guage I dig also. once you get to digging, sound and curser get better...cha ching, I have learned alot at the beaches, I cannot believe a target way left in ferrousville same conductivity height as a nickle can be dug up and nickle comes out...yes they are deep.......thats why.....

I did not know the conductive sounds were more accurate than the ferrous. It does not change the location of the target on the screen so assumed they were the same.

I hear iron, I see curser touching left side of screen, some the height of pennys, and some same height as nickles but way left, once dug penny and nickles come out of hole, so it seems the conductivity was correct but the ferrous was off.

I see what you mean and that is a very good point. I think it is the iron minerals that cause the target to appear to have more ferrous content as the targets skew to the left towards more ferrous. I do a lot of hunting where there is more iron than non-ferrous trash so ferrous works better in heavy iron for me. In a park with a lot of non-ferrous trash I use to simply switch to conductive or ferrous depending on how much deep iron I found. I have slowly gone to using ferrous all the time since I am use to the low grunt sounds for iron.

I go to menu then audio then sounds and choose ferrous....and always use ferrous sounds. But when you get a target on the smart screen, you see 2 different things. where the curser is located is telling you 2 things...the farther up it is located is conductivity, and the farther right it is...it has less iron,(non ferrous)so if a nickle on a table shows you conductivity height of just above the bottom screen, and it also shows you the same location when it is very deep(with lots of minerals and iron inbetween then I would say that part is accurate. But because the table Nickle shows you a location of past middle of screen just above the on/off of pinpoint button, but when it is deep, it is right against the far left wall meaning ferrous target, then I say conductvity of smart screen is more accurate than the ferrous location. I didn't mean when using conductvity sounds that it was more accurate. I just meant the location of target on the smart screen is more accurate. Just because a target is far left doesn't mean it is iron or near iron, If it reads deep. so I am sure are wires go mixed up......lol.....I hope new explorer users read this cause this is very important...these are the targets people are just walking over and passing off as junk.

Hi Cody!.......Stick with your own thoughts on this point.

The conductive tones are NOT more accurate than the ferrous....

Any such assumption by others, is incorrect.
That posting is based on not understanding the basics.

A conductive target in lowly mineralised ground will still read 'positively', the degree of which is related to its depth.

The same target in the presence of ferrous or very bad ground, will naturally be 'degraded' if both are in the coil's field of capture.

Never forget, that iron can be hundreds of time more 'reactive' than a coin.

Any coin recovered where the display showed 'negatively', is simply recovered from a situation involving another ferrous medium ......MattR.UK

...............MattR.UK

I fudge at times and let the science of electronics fall by the way side. I get worn down debating what we think we observe and scientific fact and go with the flow.

Thanks for the observations. I was wondering if you would join in on this one and am always glad when you do.

MattR, I have wondered for a long time why we would not do away with null discrimination and instead go to "dip" discrimination. Just enough drop in the tone and loudness of the threshold to indicate a rejected target instead going all the way into null. It would seem nice to me to have the audio decrease AND go low on iron. The idea being to hear all targets. Also, it would be nice to have an EQ so we could drop the low tones way into the background and enhance the ones we are interested in. They have these EQs for electric guitars that plug into the output jack that work nicely.

:shrug: Huh...I could of sworn thats what I said...The ferrous made me dig it but it was not very conductive (high)on smart screen...:goodnight: