Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

More moldy oldies again - FWIW :unsure:

ironsight

Well i returned to the area of the park where i found those other toasted coins the other day this time with my Tornado coil.
The good news, its an oldie hot spot.... the bad news, the soil there has not been exactly kind to most copper based coins. Though one of the Indians is in half-way decent shape.
Most of the coins i found in this area were way way off to the side of the hole probably on edge. The others were just plain deep. Could be thats why they're still there over a Century later in this hyper-pounded park.

The shield nickel is barely recognizable as such with no readable date at least with my eyes. The other side is just about blank.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/10_26_15_zps0ndja2u2.jpg

Well earned. I've found 2 shield nickels in the 6 years I've been detecting and both of 'em are worn so smooth it was even hard to make out what they were, let alone get a date off 'em. Thanks for the pictures.

NebTrac

Great finds IS !
I would be curious what the date is on your shield. get yourself some nickel date restorer on amazon.
I have used it a few times to get the date on worn nickels.

Nic-A-Date Nickel Date Restorer

- Dave

Floodplain, there are some identifyable remnants of a date enough to make out 18__?
When i put it under a microscope, all i see are craters of the moon. :heh:
I'll look into that nickel date restorer.

I have used it on completely smooth dateless coins. because the metal/stamp Is harder on the year it causes it to show up.

ironsight said:
Floodplain, there are some identifyable remnants of a date enough to make out 18__?
When i put it under a microscope, all i see are craters of the moon. :heh:
I'll look into that nickel date restorer.

Very nice! I love finding Indians & old nickels. It's been a while since I've found a shield. Way to go! :thumbup: