Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

more questions

I'm always interested in learning. got a few questions, I hunt mostly wide open spaces parks playgrounds salt water beaches etc .have 9.5 coil and the 12 (300) coil .I'm concerned abt separation with 12 and missing signals. D o you have any tips that you can share ? I usually hunt in all metal then switch to discrimination to see if its worth digging. My thinking being, I have the opportunity to evaluate all signals. Am I wasting my time ?

For tot lots a smaller coil might be in order such as 5.3, 8X6 SEF. You will find ear rings that are very small there. Wide open spaces would call for a large coil such as the two you have. Some ppl only use the 9.5 and do super. This forum is a gold mine of info then just use the machine.

William, If you are using the MXT, no need to switch back and forth. The MXT will let you look at the vdi #s and they will tell you what to dig, unless it is really deep. Switching to All Metal is this what you call relic mode? To me it is a little deeper, but can,t tell me much more than Coin can. As far as Coils Red Rock told you right, the 6x8 or 5.3 is best in trash. I like the 6x8 most, it is a dd coil and you can really move it slow around a target. Good Luck Flintstone

If it were me and I only had those two coils you mentioned, I would go with the 9.5 since it is a smaller coil. Not as clunky and will discriminate your targets a bit better. There's all kinds of small items in playgrounds. I personally use the old all mighty BigFoot. But since those aren't made anymore and are sky high in price IF you can find one, the smaller of the two coils would be my personal choice. JMHO. HH, Nancy

As Flintstone said, switching modes back an forth is not needed. You can turn your disc way down so you can see and hear everything if you'd like and remain in the disc mode of choice. You can then use your judgement based on VDI. If you never dig anything below, say, +0 then there is not much reason to stop and waste time at all the sub 0 targets (cataloging targets for homestead locating is a VERY good exception). I set my disc just a bit lower than the diggable range I want to dig so I still see about a 10 range of VDI lower than I want to dig. So If I dig +15 and up, I set it about +5 just for the sake of not losing depth and to avoid jumpy signals from discing when they drop below the disc set point. I miss some good stuff by not digging lower VDI's but the % of success has not made a die-hard, dig it all, detectorist out of me.