Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

more silver with the equinox

dfmike

Another weekend hunt and the Equinox found me a few more interesting coins. I stayed in park 1 mode with everything open except for iron but cranked the sensitivity just a tad to 23. I noticed a definite boost between 21 and 22 and 23 seems to take it to another level. Depth is definitely increased but there is a price to pay as some false high tones seem to invite themselves to the party so to speak. In an area of intense ferrous and non ferrous debris, it takes a lot of concentration to make sense of all the noise. Still, it seemed like I was digging targets that were probably just a tad unreachable by other detectors or located with nails or bottle caps partly masking them. I understand why Minelab suggests using 20 as a good sensitivity level for beginners or high trash areas. Past that level, things can become very "lively".

This time, I found very few regular size pennies which I did not bother to photograph. My first find was a british penny from 1944. This is a big brass coin that's just about double the size of a large cent. Then came the 1920 large cent. It took a while before I got the two silver quarters and one silver dime which were all in the same area. The next day one of my first find was a 1919 mercury (possibly my favorite coin design ever). That in itself made my day as they are not very common in Canada. Then came the King George V silver dime. It's in a terrible state with part of the coin chewed up and it is paper thin. I tried to see a date but I can only get the last number which is a 2. All in all, I had a very enjoyable weekend with the Nox. It finds silver coins like nothing else I've used.

Attachments

• finds-nov001.jpg
    finds-nov001.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 113
I’m glad you discovered this tidbit of information!! 23 and up it turns into boost mode 😂 That’s why at a minimum I use 23. 23 is like a booster mode. Even in heavy iron I keep it at 23. Iron will expose itself with “bleeding out”. Do I get fooled? Sure I do but nowhere to the level when I first starting using the machine. I also love the Mercury dime design myself. Great finds!!

…just a tad to 23. I noticed a definite boost between 21 and 22 and 23 seems to take it to another level.

Some good hunting Mike, sounds like that nox and you are getting along just fine, never heard of a British Penny before, man that thing is gigantic.

I’m glad you discovered this tidbit of information!! 23 and up it turns into boost mode 😂 That’s why at a minimum I use 23. 23 is like a booster mode. Even in heavy iron I keep it at 23. Iron will expose itself with “bleeding out”. Do I get fooled? Sure I do but nowhere to the level when I first starting using the machine. I also love the Mercury dime design myself. Great finds!!

…just a tad to 23. I noticed a definite boost between 21 and 22 and 23 seems to take it to another level.
Where is that mentioned though (boost mode) ? That's exactly what I thought when I started using it at 23 just for fun. Up to that point I had started at 20 on the recommendation of Minelab for beginners and then I slowly got up to 22. At 23, I felt like the ground was alive. It just seemed like the small coil was seeing lots more of everything with the slight annoyance of false high signals once in awhile. I have to slow down to make sense of the noises but it seems like I'm hitting more deep coins and a few more rusty nails.

Very beautiful coins congrats. I hope you get some more time in before it gets to cold.
Take care
Bob
Snow in the forecast for next weekend. If we get more than 2 inches that will end it for me if it stays on the ground but it's all good. I've already had a successful end of season and I'll patiently wait for 2022.

Some good hunting Mike, sounds like that nox and you are getting along just fine, never heard of a British Penny before, man that thing is gigantic.
Thanks. That coin is heavy as well. It's a heavy chunk of brass. Not very cost effective to make a huge coin of such low value !

Where is that mentioned though (boost mode) ? That's exactly what I thought when I started using it at 23 just for fun. Up to that point I had started at 20 on the recommendation of Minelab for beginners and then I slowly got up to 22. At 23, I felt like the ground was alive. It just seemed like the small coil was seeing lots more of everything with the slight annoyance of false high signals once in awhile. I have to slow down to make sense of the noises but it seems like I'm hitting more deep coins and a few more rusty nails.
Technically there is no “boost mode” However when you get to 23 in sensitivity, strange ( good things) start to happen even in iron. Even though it’s high(er) sensitivity, I see a boost in depth and in “ability” of this equinox to “see” into areas that lower sensitivity (even at 21 -22 )just doesn’t “see” call me crazy 😜 if anyone wants but I have witnessed many great targets “coming to life” that just aren’t “visible” at lower sensitivity settings. Yes, some iron may fool you a bit, but the trade off is most definitely worth it.
Keep running 23 or even higher and get use to these higher settings. You will gain a great understanding how ferrous reacts compared to a non-ferrous. It’s much more pronounced. One has to keep at it. Here’s a tip that I have used many times myself ( and still do on very iffy targets) find a target or what you think is a target in iron. Now close your eyes to take away the visual component of detecting. Now focus 100% on the audio. Sweep slowly and listen extremely carefully to what the equinox audio is telling you. If it “bleeds out” or that target doesn’t hold together and sort of “melts away” it’s iron.
Once you learn what the audio is telling you and have that mind connection with what you have learned, you can keep your eyes open. Even though your eyes are open, your mind will totally disengage from your eyesight as if they aren’t even open. How is that for a psychological connection? 😂 funny but true. It’s like sleeping with your eyes wide open.
I believe I will stop here and let you digest this bit of information. Keep at it as you are doing extremely well with the Equinox 👍