Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Morning, all. I made a hard decision today….

Steve 1280x user

I have this friend. He HAD a drug addiction, I thought was behind him. Last week, he told me that he was facing charges of cocaine possession and breaking and entering to support his addiction. Two years ago, he assured me he’d quit for good. His attitude on returning is nonchalant, at best……………
Up until today, he assumed things are ‘normal’ between us. But, they’re NOT. He’s facing sentencing in May, and his attitude is ‘HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!’…..I have been wrestling with this issue for a couple days, and asking loved ones for advice; and I’ve come to the conclusion that to protect my own Christ led life, I canNOT be friends with him as before. I must protect my life, my wife, and my Church. As a former alcohol abuser (i quit in the early 90’s), I vowed to remain separate from the addiction lifestyle for the remainder of my life. I told him I cannot support him, but that I WILL keep praying for him.
I’ve ALWAYS HATED delivering these kinds of messages, but for me, my separation from my past is as serious as it gets. Peace and love to everyone, amen.:confused::unsure:(n)

I
I have this friend. He HAD a drug addiction, I thought was behind him. Last week, he told me that he was facing charges of cocaine possession and breaking and entering to support his addiction. Two years ago, he assured me he’d quit for good. His attitude on returning is nonchalant, at best……………
Up until today, he assumed things are ‘normal’ between us. But, they’re NOT. He’s facing sentencing in May, and his attitude is ‘HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!’…..I have been wrestling with this issue for a couple days, and asking loved ones for advice; and I’ve come to the conclusion that to protect my own Christ led life, I canNOT be friends with him as before. I must protect my life, my wife, and my Church. As a former alcohol abuser (i quit in the early 90’s), I vowed to remain separate from the addiction lifestyle for the remainder of my life. I told him I cannot support him, but that I WILL keep praying for him.
I’ve ALWAYS HATED delivering these kinds of messages, but for me, my separation from my past is as serious as it gets. Peace and love to everyone, amen.:confused::unsure:(n)
You've made the right decision in my honest opinion. Any addiction is bad but your friends Hard Drug addiction is
something you don't need to put up with. Wish you the best...
silverseeker 2

The other problem comes when they begin to abuse your friendship through thefts and lies. Separate but never lose sight.

UPDATE: My friend acknowledged my message; he told me ‘I NEED TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE, THSNK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT’. I’m sending him some guitar strings ( He’s a guitar player too), and we’re keeping in contact. He’s saying he’s doing what’s right, I hope he stays with it.

You have made the right decision! You don’t need the extra stress/ worry about this person’s poor choices. Prayers for them is really all you can do. The drug abuser has to make changes!

My wife refers to this as tough love. The fact that you want to discuss this is indicative of your love and concern for your friend. I do not believe any here including myself have any magical words to help you or your friend. I certainly wish I could as much as everybody else. I am responding as others are to commend you for your concern for your wife and your friend. I find it hard to fully agree with my wife when she advocates tough love. Who knows? No matter what your decision is it is one that you wanted to share. As the old saying goes misery loves company. Your friend is a living soul.

Semper fidelis
Leatherneck

Last edited:
You did the right thing I have an older brother in the same situation it’s been so hard on my parents.
Mark