Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

moving from tot lots to grass

thsfineday

With all the tot lots hunted out now in my area we have been doing a lot of grass hunting. I have to wonder why I haven't done this sooner. Maybe its the simple fact that the digging is easier in the bark chips or that there are more finds in the chips or maybe I never gave the grass a chance but I have to say I think I am stuck in the grass for now on. In the past couple weeks I have found more older coins and more rings than I have all year. My recent finds so far in one field are 3 rings and about 100 coins and we haven't even started to make a dent in it. My biggest surprise was, hold on , you wont believe me, but a 1835 large cent about 1 inch down. I couldn't believe it either. When i found that I was on the phone calling a few buddies to join me. We have been there everyday since. will post a picture but the details are hard to show since it is dirty and I am afraid to clean it to much. I have used a little water on it and that helped but that's it.

sorry this was found with my ace 250 which i bought about a few months ago. Like many of us, i carry a few different digging tools and it depends on what kind of conditions i am digging in to which tool i will be using that day.

Are you using the ProPointer also? I just got mine about two weeks ago and I must say it makes a huge difference.:yikes: You'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

Careful cleaning that large cent, it may end up worse than when you found it. Soaking those old coppers in olive oil seems to be the general concensus but I haven't found one to try it myself. Don't forget to post those pics.

Congrats,
Steve

A lot of people take the easier route and mostly hunt tot lots. Nothing wrong with that. There are also a lot of good surprises buried in the grass too. One must be careful not to cut large plugs, and also fill in the holes. Careless grass hunting is the #1 reason parks become off limits for metal detecting.

One of the best things about hunting in the grass is that you usually find older coins in the grass.

I've found the tot lots need time to build back up in the bounty. Same with the grass area. I mentally keep records of where I've been the most and go to the other areas and give the worked ones about 2-3 weeks, sometimes a month. Of course this means a log of more than 4-5 places.

What is with all the bad puns here lately? Very funny, wise guy!

Chris