Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

multifrequency vs single frequency for coins/silver only

Alex detector

i was out detecting yesterday and i decided to try the 5 hz single frequency just to understand more about the equinox. i have only been detecting for silver and clad coins. i got a solid signal for what turned out to be a quarter. i though i would compare the signal to the multi frequency signal to see which was stronger. this was a genuine comparison of what was actually buried in the ground. when i changed the detector from 5 hz single to the multi frequency setting -- i got no signal at all. then i rechecked the 5 hz single signal which was robust and consistent -- rechecked the multi freq signal and again no signal. i made a few more comparisons between 5 hz single and the multi freq setting and the quarter was detected with the multi freq setting but the 5 hz freq setting sounded louder and more robust. the question is when detecting for coins or silver only - is 5 hz single freq better than the multi freq setting.

any comments welcome

p.s. i use the 600 ( and regret not getting the 800!)

If you didn’t get multi to hit the coin the first two times at all, something else must have changed for the coin to be detected the third time, albeit not as strongly. What changed?

As long as the 600 is running stable and not chattering when running Multi mode, the Multi freq and single 5khz should be close with the Nox. You will easily lose the signal in multi though, if you still have noise and chatter when you stop and hold the coil motionless over the ground. You must be stable in both modes.

Single frequency.of 5khz SHOULD hit silver coins better, especially in more depth. The lower the frequency, the longer the wave length. Lower frequencies usually invite EMI issues, just like AM radio, does when competing with FM. Range is way better in miles, for AM, against FM, AM just isn't stable sometimes.

So, yes, 5khz is supposed to get better tones on high conductors, like clad and silver quarters. The Equinox somehow "breaks the rules" and competes great in multi, when stable.

to the best of my knowlege i only changed the frequency -- i approached the target from the same angle - then when i heard no signal i tried as approching from various angles - nothing --- switched back to 5hz and right away - bam nice clear signal. it is like steve said -- diff frequency settings allows for you to pickup some missed targets. since i only search for clad and silver - i think there is no benefit with multi frequency -- but i do want to prospect in gold country eventually. i have stayed with 5hz and i am finding a little more than the multi setting -- the target is louder and easier for me to hear.

thanks 5400 xl-1 for your comment -- it confirms my experience with the 5hz. i also read about how the 5 hz is best for coin and silver but with all the multi freq hype i thought that would be best -- not true!! im glad i experimented with single frequencies -- i got the idea from a book i read about the eqinox. i never expected how hood 5hz could sound -- its the loudest signal of all the freq settings and the most consistent.

This has been an interesting thread to follow! And, very educational! My inquiry has been: Single freq./Khz that with some metal detectors are notorious for finding coins are designed for (1) one freq./khz, and they do quite well! Are they operating in a freq./khz with a patent? I have thought about this for awhile, and that precise freq./khz is not to be copied as the multi oscillating tools were previously?

Thanks!

I use 5Khz too sometimes works well. Looking for thicker higher conductive coins, it helps cut down signals from small foil too. .. 5Khz is a well known deep seeker of silver.. ... 10 Khz and 15 Khz are another 2 favourites of mine..

I have found just the opposite. One of these instances happened last Fall. I checked a deep signal (VID 21-23) and was running PARK1 / multi. I switched over to 5khz and scanned the target again. The audio was inconsistent / broken and VID was bouncing all over. Switched back over to PARK1 / multi and it purred like a kitten. Dug the coin and it was a 1920's wheat cent.

I forgot to mention that the lower the frequency, the better the ground penetration.

This is where theory and real world dont always match. Mineralization can greatly inhibit single low freq, and EMI can greatly interfere with single low freq. Unless you are hunting a site of pure, dry silica sand and miles from civilization, then you are likely to be dealing with one or both problems.

to the best of my knowlege i only changed the frequency -- i approached the target from the same angle - then when i heard no signal i tried as approching from various angles - nothing --- switched back to 5hz and right away - bam nice clear signal. it is like steve said -- diff frequency settings allows for you to pickup some missed targets. since i only search for clad and silver - i think there is no benefit with multi frequency -- but i do want to prospect in gold country eventually. i have stayed with 5hz and i am finding a little more than the multi setting -- the target is louder and easier for me to hear.

Um.
There is one thing that changes when one goes from single freq to multi and vice versa.
What exactly?
Little thing called iron bias, especially depending on how one has it set in multi freq.

Um.
There is one thing that changes when one goes from single freq to multi and vice versa.
What exactly?
Little thing called iron bias, especially depending on how one has it set in multi freq.

Correct, there is no iron-bias nor inherent ground ignoring ability in the single freqs. Manual says that you must perform a ground balance any time you are in a single freq. But even after you do, you still lose all IB.

Jason and Squirrel1 are correct. I don't know if there is absolutely no Iron bias happening when switching to a single frequency or if it goes to the zero setting. I'm also not sure if zero means no Iron Bias whatsoever. There might still be something happening...........? Also, even though it looks like ground balance stays on the same number, when say switching from Park 1 multi to 5kHz it does not mean that the ground balance number for multi is the optimal ground balance number for 5 kHz. Same goes for auto noise cancelling which one should definitely do when switching from multi to a single frequency especially if dealing with an EMI situation. Personally, I have really mineralized dirt where I detect so going into single frequency is only a good idea if I'm dealing with an electric fence or extreme EMI from power lines when I'm using my Nox 600. Otherwise, depth gets cut in half basically in any of the three single frequencies on the Nox 600 as opposed to multi. On the Nox 800 using 20 or 40 kHz single frequency is sometimes a toss-up if EMI is really bad depth-wise.

Jeff

This has been one of the best and most rewarding posts I have recently read because, in effect, it has added a new functionality to the Equinox 600/800 especially for those of us who hunt for deeper clad and silver coins. Prior to learning about the benefits of utilizing single frequencies, I only switched to single frequencies when checking for trash signals.

Last edited:
In the last 3-4 years, I have been really concentrating on my bench rest shooting and have honestly let detecting go by the wayside. However, I have been looking at the 800 and it appears I will have a ton of catching up to do.

Thanks guys for all the great information. The 800 has been a great surprise to me. I still own the CTX 3030 and the Etrac I just can't sell them at this point. Irealy think each machine has it place. They just complete my tool box for VLF's.