Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

multifrequency vs single frequency for coins/silver only

I forgot to mention that the lower the frequency, the better the ground penetration.

Been diggin lots of wheaties as of late. I believe because of corrosion, the signal bounces a lot. Recently found a crusty silver quarter.
Thought it was a zinc because of the the low numbers. Was quite shocked and happy to see the silver.
Im going to give the 5 khz a try to see if I can scrounge up some more silver.

HH
Donna(NJ)
P1130419.JPG
P1130419.JPG
P1130419.JPG

Corrosion absolutely plays a major role in the target VDI. You have to remember that the metal target is an antenna. The search coil pumps energy into the ground to energize any conductors present, then stops and listens for one of those "antennas" to radiate that energy back out. Corrosion blocks and alters that energy charging / broadcast cycle so you arent going to get the same return as from a fresh, shiny coin.

Been diggin lots of wheaties as of late. I believe because of corrosion, the signal bounces a lot. Recently found a crusty silver quarter.
Thought it was a zinc because of the the low numbers. Was quite shocked and happy to see the silver.
Im going to give the 5 khz a try to see if I can scrounge up some more silver.

HH
Donna(NJ)View attachment 164View attachment 164View attachment 164

Very nice. I would love to experiment with different frequencies at an old site.

I've tried it here where I live in Ct multi is king for me I've tried every possible way I can detect with the Nox to..
Mark

There are numerous factors in determining if and how deep any detector can "see" a target....type of soil, mineraization and moisture level, orientation of the target in the soil, amount of corrosion and EMI just to name a few. Settings that work miracles in one area may not be effective in another due to these other variables. Settings I use here on Florida beaches won't work all that well on Hawaii beaches.
While it's true that lower freqs are better for higher conductors, the fact that in this case, 5 kHz "saw" the target when multi didn't doesn't necessarily mean 5 is always better than multi in all or other cases. This is why I always "dial in" my EQX 800 to suit the particular environment as best I can. The environment/situation plays a major role in detector performance.
Just the view from my foxhole...

Not sure if its the case with the Equinox, but I have a v3i which can switch between muliple frequency and single frequency. And single frequency is know to be deeper. The only real two things that can change the ability of the detector to go deeper is the size of the coil(field) and the power of the transmitted signal. More of the power of the detector can be harnessed to push a single frequency rather than trying to push multiple frequencies through the same ground.