Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Multiple crosshairs on disply?

robby4570

Used my E-Trac today with the Sharpshooter coil today (I love that little coil) and just happened to notice that at some points I was seeing more than one crosshair on the pattern display (I was in a pretty open screen) and the numbers were jumping. Turns out there were two targets very close together, a penny and a screw. I have 12 hours on this detector and this was the first time with the Sharpshooter. Never noticed this multiple crosshair thing with the pro coil on. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, just didn't notice it. I hunt by sound first and look at the machine after I hear a target...

OK, thought the question was implied... my bad. Has anyone else noticed this with either coil ever?

Seem to remember that happening with wildly jumping IDs when i first start using my eTRAC. Now a days i usually use the large ID number screen option and concentrate on tones and ID numbers not cross hairs.
I think whats happening, electronics is faster than the eye making it appear to be an illusion of two simultaneous cross hairs. Adding to that, there might be a momentary lag or persistance of the first cross hair ID before it disappears.

Nothing to worry about if everything else seems to be working... especially if it only occurs with wildly jumping IDs.
You might also play around with the display timeout option in the Preference Menu.

Concerned about the coil? I'm sure you've done this already, first thing i do when i plug in a brand new coil is some quick air tests to check it out.
I've got a SharpShooter and have no complaints, it works great.

ironsight said:
Seem to remember that happening with wildly jumping IDs when i first start using my eTRAC. Now a days i usually use the large ID number screen option and concentrate on tones and ID numbers not cross hairs.
I think whats happening, electronics is faster than the eye making it appear to be an illusion of two simultaneous cross hairs. Adding to that, there might be a momentary lag or persistance of the first cross hair ID before it disappears.

Nothing to worry about if everything else seems to be working... especially if it only occurs with wildly jumping IDs.
You might also play around with the display timeout option in the Preference Menu.

Concerned about the coil? I'm sure you've done this already, first thing i do when i plug in a brand new coil is some quick air tests to check it out.
I've got a SharpShooter and have no complaints, it works great.

Thanks Ironsight, I do in fact use the big numbers display and small Pattern Screen (Digital Vs Pattern) but I just wondered if it was possible for more than one target to be displayed on the Pattern screen at once. There was indeed two targets and the Fe-Co #'s and crosshairs were correct for each target.

I did do a quick air test and I'm not concerned, I love that Sharpshooter coil so far. Just curious, since I am new to the E-Trac.

ironsight said:
Do the two crosshairs remain until the next sweep? Or does one or both disappear instantly?

Don't remember, I work the next 4 days but I'll try to re-create the conditions again before work one day...

sprchng said:
How much Bailey's do you put in your coffee?

What the heck's THAT got to do with anything??

I have the same thing happen on my machine. Had it for a couple years now.
It mainly happens when using the big numbers and the small screen, and
doesn't seem to do it all the time.

teedub said:
I have the same thing happen on my machine. Had it for a couple years now.
It mainly happens when using the big numbers and the small screen, and
doesn't seem to do it all the time.

It has happened a few time on me now, seems only to happen when there is a couple really different (a 12/33 and a 19/25 target for instance) targets very close to each other. Each time this has happened, I have dug and always find a (in this case a Zincoln and a cruddy aluminum screw at about 4 inches) good and a junk target.

Multiple crosshairs for multiple targets in the same area would be a great eTRAC-II feature if Minelab could develop it further as an option.

That evaporating eTRAC-II pipe dream!!

It's happened to me as well, but only with big numbers in the little screen. I think it's just latency when the processor has to use the small screen.