Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mushrooms and Fungis

Smigo

Hi guys. I recently got a book I was after for yrs. Its edible things in our Bush, country, you can find.
In it I was surprised to see a mushroom fungis that I always, because I didn't know, thought was toxic. Apparently its not and is called Slippery Jack. It's not native here but was introduced by accident with pine trees. It now grows in pine tree areas here. I saw some several weeks ago before I got my book and thought "no way". But now I read they taste nice even though they look horrible. Just it says peel off the slimy skin and cook.
Has anyone there had them? My book says they are also in the USA.
Here it is.
IMG_20221209_175437_678~2.jpg

I think I have seen them in my area as well ,, I'd love to be able to positively identify fungi . It just seems the pics in the books vary a little from whats in the field ,, and then I'm reluctant to try them . I'd hate to cook some up and get a bad belly ache and wake up dead .

What's the name of that book ?
Do you recommend it. ?

I think I have seen them in my area as well ,, I'd love to be able to positively identify fungi . It just seems the pics in the books vary a little from whats in the field ,, and then I'm reluctant to try them . I'd hate to cook some up and get a bad belly ache and wake up dead .

What's the name of that book ?
Do you recommend it. ?
Hi yeah I know what you mean about seeing a picture and then actually trying them. Iv tried some of our native berries, im a bit nervous about some of the fungis though.
Id heard of this book ages ago and that it was good.
IMG_20221210_092630_992~2.jpg

Aww ,, I didn't realize you are in Australia ,, it may not be completely acurate for us in the US . Some of it could be tho .
I'm going to start a little research and find a good reference book for my area ,,, if things get as bad as some are predicting,, we may be out in the woods hunting for food .
Thanks for giving me the kick in the pants to get going on this .

Aww ,, I didn't realize you are in Australia ,, it may not be completely acurate for us in the US . Some of it could be tho .
I'm going to start a little research and find a good reference book for my area ,,, if things get as bad as some are predicting,, we may be out in the woods hunting for food .
Yep I had the same idea, needing to one day if it goes pear shaped forage for food 👍

Hi guys. I recently got a book I was after for yrs. Its edible things in our Bush, country, you can find.
In it I was surprised to see a mushroom fungis that I always, because I didn't know, thought was toxic. Apparently its not and is called Slippery Jack. It's not native here but was introduced by accident with pine trees. It now grows in pine tree areas here. I saw some several weeks ago before I got my book and thought "no way". But now I read they taste nice even though they look horrible. Just it says peel off the slimy skin and cook.
Has anyone there had them? My book says they are also in the USA.
Here it is.View attachment 33427
I hope your faith in the book is warranted. Ewell Gibbons was an expert advocate of nutritious plants out in the wild, and it has long been stated he ate a bad mushroom, and died.

I hope your faith in the book is warranted. Ewell Gibbons was an expert advocate of nutritious plants out in the wild, and it has long been stated he ate a bad mushroom, and died.
Hi. I looked it up and he died from something else not eating a bad mushroom. He had some syndrome and died from an aneurism.
I do appreciate warnings to be careful though 👍

Let us know what you find.