Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Musket Shots?

Hi all, hope everyone had a good weekend of digging;)

It's been raining cats and dogs out here in "sunny" California lately but that didn'tstop me from getting out. I returned to a mid 1800's era home/museum to continue an ongoing dig and a couple what I believe to be musket shots were extracted by a friend. I've dug a lot a things but never shots so I wanted to run it by some of you to verify.

Also pulled up an old Chinese coin which I believe to be a Kwang Tung Province 1 cash coin minted around 1889. It's pretty chewed up but under the right light you can catch a little pattern and design off of it which I used to ID. However the coon doesn't appear to be made of Brass so it could possibly be Copper? Which in that case might make it a slightly later 1800's era version of the same coin. Either way it's going back to the museum soon:)

Thanks everyone!

Regarding the Musket Balls, from my experience, all of the CW or older lead balls and bullets were white in color due to lead oxidation.

Thanks, yup that's why I wasn't certain. These were found in Northern California which is why I was a little confused. The original owners of the home were avid hunters and traveled the world hunting all kinds of animals so I'm thinking someone was doing target practice out in the yard somewhere back when they had miles of open land around them.

Thank you. Yup I was able to clean it up a little more and came to the same conclusion regarding it. It's cake from an home built around 1846 and come to find out thee was an old Chinese market 30 feet from where it was found not to mention the home owners had several Chinese workers helping on the property. It's all slowly coming together. Thanks for helping me confirm the Info!

Thanks Glenn - I'll have to look into them more then. Probably not musket rounds but they are rounds of some sort so I'll keep searching. Thank again!