Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXsport vs. MXT pro

dirt lizard

Will the MX sport over take the MXT pro in the near future? A lot of folks seem to be jumping the fence over this machine.

Hi Frank, What is better about the MXsports other than waterproof? Dose it go deeper or more settings? I though it was the same as MXT just waterproof?

I sold my MXT Pro in order to buy a MXSport. Luckily, I was able to buy back my MXT for the same price that I sold it for, and I sold the Sport. To me the balance on the Sport was not very good, and I could not use it for very long before my back was killing me. Also, on the tot lots even with the little 7" coil, I could not get within about 3 feet of the metal posts. This was with the sensitivity turned all the way down to 1. Actually, for general metal detecting, I prefer the MX5 over both the MXT and the MXSport. I am keeping the MXT because it has a good prospecting program, in case I ever want to try prospecting.

Give the sport a couple yrs and it will die off like all the others. I'm keeping my MXT pro no matter what comes up. I've had a bunch of different detectors over the yrs and they all did the same thing same depth nothing past 10 inches. Depending on what coil you used you might get a couple more. It's no big show to me.

I bought a sport and the package, plus every coil. I already sold it. Had it about 6-8 months. It's way to heavy, poor balance, won't lock onto anything in iron. Loves iron, no solid I.D. on anything. Had great audio, nice threshold, nice programs even. Except relic mode was terrible. I never sold my mxt pro, just in case. So glad I kept it. Very simple and reliable. With the right coil it keeps up with anything out there. I love whites. But they're behind. Machines are just to heavy. Mx sport is way to sensitive and unstable. Everyone knows it, nobody will say it. It's a bust for me. My mxt pro is still cleaning out civil war camps. It ain't going anywhere except into the corn field come Sunday. There's no way the sport replaces the mxt. Just my opinion.

As an after thought. All the big time relic hunters on YouTube, well, none of them swing a sport. Why?

The field testers at Whites relic hunt with them and make videos to bring up sales. If they don't like them they have a give away on that machine.

MXT PRO 100% over the MX Sport. I hated the feel of the Sport. I sold it fast and found another MXT Pro. I will never sell it again . Best all round machine Whites ever made!!!

AGREED. Mxt pro no question. The sport isn't the answer in my opinion.

I was leaning towards the Pro until I saw this video. One thing I like about the Sport is that you can have rejected targets sound at a lower % of volume than good targets. This lets you know something is down there and doesn't blank out the audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodnVkv4Gh0

I think one thing that happens is people get used to a detector after spending years with it. So then something new comes out, they try that, and get scared.

"This is different!"

"Everything has changed!"

"What's going on!"

They immediately freak out and go back to using what they are comfortable with. And that's fine! But keep in mind that even that old tried and true relic you are hunting with had a learning curve back in the day. I have seen this with the MX Sport. But I have also seen guys put down the MXT for the MX Sport and ever look back.

If you like the MXT there is nothing wrong with using it. But don't give up on something that goes deeper without giving it a fair shake.

We could have dumbed down the MX Sport and limited the amount of gain to the coil, but why? Would you drive a Mustang with a speed governor on it? People who spend the time to learn the MX Sport are rewarded with more finds.

This guy switched to an MXS from an MXT and has gone back over old sites. Guess which machine he has made some of his best finds with?

https://www.instagram.com/djdigs/

My dislike of the Sport was because of the balance more than anything else. It seemed very nose heavy to me, which was hard on my back. I could not use it for very long at a time before my back was killing me. The MXT has a lot better balance, in my opinion which makes it seem lighter. Although I still have my MXT Pro, I prefer the MX5 over both the MXT and the Sport. I think it is Whites most underrated detector, and their Best Buy for the money.

I have a MXT Pro with the SEF 6x8" coil and the DX-1 Pin pointer Probe <---- awesome combo
Have not tried the MX Sport

Hi guys;
I am new to the MX Sport. I had to return the first one I bought as even in an air test it would not recognize the item (IE Quarter, Nickle, Dime).
I was really heart broken as I liked the videos I had seen on Youtube for it speed iron discrimination.
Well.. It was purchased in March I returned it shortly thereafter, I got a replacement. (Nope, not a repair a direct replacement from the dealer)
I did the air test and it worked fine so I was happy and could not wait to get it out in the field. (Month later..Yes I work a lot) I finally got a chance to try it out.
Man was I bummed.. I use a Minelab CTX 3030 with a large coil and just went over the area with no issues found a silver dime. So I said well let's see what
this Whites can do. (Yes I know, no comparison on the machines CTX over MXS as well you get what you pay for) I wanted the Whites as my back up machine.
So sorry to say but the new one MXS would not lock onto a single item...I was so upset. I checked all the settings and It would false chirp and bleep like crazy.
There were others with Whites machines that were ok. (No MXS's) So I just sent that one back as well. I was told my original unit had the control housing replaced
and that the dealer tested it out and it failed again. He replaced the coil and it started working, he is awaiting a new coil and will send me that unit back.
I want to believe in this machine, I really do. I will give it one more try 3rd times the charm right? Or is that a third strike??

So if any of you Whites MX Sport guys out there who have the machine tweeked to your liking and its working great please share your settings with me. I will gladly
try setting mine up the same way just in case I am doing something wrong.

Jessie Thompson
mrmetaldetector@aol.com
http://www.noreasters.net
facebook: noreastersdetecting
Stamford, CT

Third strike, third time is a charm, I don't know. What I do know is this. I am honest when I post, regardless of brand loyalty. I consider myself a whites first guy. Love my mxt pro, but the mxs, for my type of hunting is just not up to the job. I had the same issues, wouldn't lock on to anything, and way to heavy. Now there is a lot of stuff I like about it also. But for me, what I found, is in clean ground that thing is really deep, and sensitive, but if there was any trash around it was just all over the place. In the civil war camps I hunt, in hot ground, it was a dud. Relic mode for me was worthless. I sold it. I hope whites comes out with a follow up that works right. Cause I will buy one. These were just my experiences, maybe it works for others.

Thanks. for the info. I agree in iron infested or trashy it would not lock onto anything. I wonder if others have found a way around this? If so whom and how.
Jess

Just bought one from Richard at Backwoods Detectors. I also got the 7" and 13" Deteck coils they fit perfectly on the lower rod with the washers but the stock 10" coil was very tight and so I went with the 7" coil to try it in a local park and I know it's a bit trashy and my soil here reads 85-87 in ground balancing on all my different machines so I let it stay at factory 90 for ground balance on all these machines.

This detector is a high gain machine so you don't need to run the sensitivity very high so I turned it down from 7 to 5 and sweep slowly ( you can just wiggle this and it will hit good if you have to) through the trash and I have no problem knowing a good coin target hit from a trash hit. OH I am set at the high trash program also. I left that setting off that allows the non wanted signals to be a different volume sorry don't remember what it's called at the moment and I lowered my threshold to 0 so as to make the machine a silent search one like the older Whites. Works great raise the gain if you get to a clean area for more depth. If your in VA and the soil is bad there it may not work like most other machines won't either.

Great tips thanks
Jess