Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT & 18" Excelerator coil..

srf2112

..does anyone here have any experience w/this combo ? I recently recieved an Excelerator II Pro in a trade but I'm afraid it is bad. I tried it out for the first time but I couldn't get any solid signals so I tried to test a quarter sitting on a piece of clean ground and could barely get it to give a decent signal and inaccurate ID at 6". I tried different modes, sensitivities etc. Ground in the low 60's. The audio was stable and there was no serious EMI in the area so I can't think of any outside factors influencing the coils performance. I do know that they respond best to medium and large deep targets but even so I can't believe that my test results are even close to normal. I also realize that manufacturers claims have to be taken w/a grain of salt but it's nowhere near what they say it's capable of either. Any shared experiences would be greatly appreciated...

I am not familiar with that coil Scott, it must be an older model. Usually the big coils are for relic hunting and don't do well with coin sized targets.

I have air tested that coil on the MXT and a quarter could be detected at about 3 feet. Your could is bad.

An 18" coil picking up a 1" diameter coin at 3' in air?

I was thinking of getting one of these coils but have usually found that there's a point of diminishing returns with the larger coils - will now be buying one to try your claim out.

RedRockNv said:
I have air tested that coil on the MXT and a quarter could be detected at about 3 feet. Your could is bad.
Hi RedRockNv. Thanks for sharing that. Did you use the coil at all in the field also ? I tried searching a clean area for some in-ground targets to check out signals, depth readings etc but couldn't find any. No separate, defined signals at all but the ones I did get were very soft and wavering, a lot like falsing and hot rock signals. That's when I tried to scan the quarter on-ground and couldn't get a solid signal and ID until I was closer than 6". No signal at all past about 8". I then tried a large target on-ground and the results were still not much better. The person I traded it for is trustworthy and picked this coil up second hand/new in box. I'm certain he probably didn't realize the coil was bad, if it is, so that's why I want to be certain this coil is not performing correctly before we reconsider the deal. As Expllnut said, these coils will give diminishing returns as the targets get smaller but I feel it's performance is indicative of a defective coil, especially with your air test results. Thanks again...

Did the coil come from an MXT user? It might be a good coil, but built for a different frequency detector, like an XLT, etc.

OakVillage said:
Did the coil come from an MXT user? It might be a good coil, but built for a different frequency detector, like an XLT, etc.
He had it for a DFX...compatible with the MXT. We have since agreed to trade back. I have no coils since I was ripped off. I'll have to eat the two-way shipping costs but at least I'll have a coil to swing somewhere. Lesson learned...