Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT+D2 = 1864 2-Cent piece

Aarong81

I don't get to brag very often, you wouldn't know it from this weeks finds but..., I just found my 3rd oldest coin and 2nd oldest coin made in the Americas. The age is not what is most impressive to me but this coin was only minted from 1864 to 1873. I cannot tell which variation this one is(large Motto or small Motto), the lettering on the ribbon is worn off. But I most likely will never find another 2 cent piece again so I wanted to share! If further cleaning helps bring out more detail I may update with more pics later.
The flat button is nice too, it doesn't have any markings but the style places it in the mid 1800's as well. For size reference, the flat button is the exact diameter of a modern penny.

Oh Aaron, What a find indeed. Congratulations on the two. By looking at the two cent piece, you should be able to tell if it's the small or large version. It's got a lot of detailing left. Beautiful! I'll get my book out and see what I come up with later on. She sure is a beauty! THANKS for sharing and HH, Nancy

Nice oldie find:thumbup:

Thanks everyone! Nancy, if you find out anything let me know. From what I read, the only difference is in the lettering on the ribbon which seems to be worn off. And the difference is pretty small, you would almost have to hold both varieties to notice the difference. :) It doesn't make much difference to me really. Just to see and hold a 2 cent piece blew me away! My dad has detected for a couple decades starting in the late 1970's and he found a lot of really cool stuff when most areas were still virgin ground but he said he had never found one of these. I really like finding stuff that he has never found, this late in the detecting game that is quite a surprise. The 2 older coins than this one that I have found are "1828 Large Cent" & "Chinese cash coin struck by Boo-Ciowan (Board of Revenue), Peking, in the name of emperor Jen Tsung, 1796 - 1820."

Its been soaking in oil and I brushed it up some more. I no longer have to cast the light at a low angle to make out much on it. Heres a couple pics of it now.

Thank you, Whitetail! I'm happy the date is easy to see otherwise I would be full of curiosity. First year of issue and CW period! :)

I know Aaron...don't those old coins just get you excited! I love finding the real old stuff. I have coins still soaking in oil from last summer that I've never taken out and brushed yet. I guess I'm afraid of ruining them. Last year I was hunting this old site and got a real nice signal 9" down. I dug out a deep plug and the pinpointer said it was still in the hole.(Don't those always get you going?). I carefully removed some more dirt and placed in in the other pile of dirt. The pinpointer said it wasn't in the hole anymore. I located it and saw a large round coin. I got excited and waited til I got home to see the date..but I just knew it was old. When I got home it said 1861....and had 4 pence on it. Seems like an old british coin.
I always think of the person who lost it...what they were doing....etc.

Your coin is awesome and glad you got a date...I think of all the aspects of a coin...I just love seeing the date to know how old any particular coin really is.

Its weird to think that everybody at the time has died since those old coins were minted. I bet nobody in the 1860's thought about old relics like we do today. I guess they probably had a lot more life & death situations to deal with for them to be bothered with antiques. They likely had no idea anyone would be curious about their lives 150 years later. The mere pennies they dropped mean something to us now. Its sad that a worn out penny lasts longer in the ground than a persons life. I think the exciting thing about these old coins is that the last person to touch it could have been over 100 years ago. I wish they had put them in a mason jar with a note to whomever finds it in the future. That would be a trip!

Aarong81...
Have you buried you Mason jar yet???

That's part of the hunt...
Finding something and trying to figure out what it is, what it was usued for, who had it and how old is it...

Aint this hobby fun....

HH