Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT or DFX

I have been using whites detectors for over 10 years and currently own an MXT PRO with several coils. I am wanting a backup detector and am either going with another MXT or a DFX as both use the same coils. I have never owned a DFX but am intrigued by the dual freq. (I owned an early v3i but flamed out on the learning curve). I have read many great things about the DFX. Is it a good prospecting machine as well as a C&J unit?

I was hoping that people who have used both might be able to give me some ideas as to what to expect if I go with the DFX. I know that the learning curve will be there and I am very happy with the MXT, but the dual freq. options and enhanced discrimination settings make me wonder if should buy the DFX just to be able to approach any hunting area with two different technologies.
Thanks in advance, any information is welcome
KW

I’ve had all the machines you mentioned. I would recommend a VX3 over a DFX. The VX3 is a simplified V3i and is far more advanced and capable than a DFX, in fact the VX3 is even easier to use than the DFX. And all the MXT coils are usable on the VX3 as long as they are V-rated. Skip the DFX and go with the VX3 and much newer technology.

If you didn't like the learning curve on the V3i, you sure won't like learning the DFX either. IMHO

Hi mntnflyr4fun,

I primarily swing an MXT Pro. Have owned a DFX and still own a V3i but never became comfortable using either one of them. Every time I finished a hunt using the DFX or V3i I had the nagging feeling that I may have had something set incorrectly. I found stuff with both detectors but was never comfortable using either one. I have followed up DFX & V3i hunts with my MXT Pro and found lots of good finds. Am not saying the MXT Pro is a better detector. Am saying that I am not comfortable with a DFX nor a V3i because they are simply too complicated for me and my poor hearing picks up MXT Pro signals better especially in Relic Mode.

If I was looking to buy a Whites detector as a backup it would be another MXT Pro, or an M6 that could share coils. OR, since you mentioned prospecting, I would consider a GMT. The GMT will not share coils but it contains the same technology as the MXT Pro but with a higher frequency that is better for finding small nuggets.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for all the feedback. I share some of the same concerns regarding the learning curve etc. as I see potential for some of the same problems I had with the V3i showing up with the DFX. I started this whole process thinking I was going for another MXT or PRO, and got kinda sidetracked thinking about the DFX, which is why I asked for some different perspectives and I appreciate what I have heard.
I personally think the MXT is probably one of the finest machines every made by any company for its performance, versatility and simplicity and guess I just needed some validation. Thanks

First of all,, I do not do well with the menu systems we now have in this digital world. I grew up and worked with primarily analog devices having adjustment knobs and switches. The MXT Pro just feels right with the knobs and switches. The MXT line of detectors are high gain and very loud machines. What really made it work for me was when I got a pair of Killer B headphones with a limiter circuit. Now I can crank up the Gain without blowing my ears off on a shallow target signal.

From your handle I suspect you are a pilot. The cockpits in the old planes I have been in were full of knobs and switches. Maybe you are just one of us analog guys too.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Well, I bailed on the DFX adventure, just don't have the time to learn a more complex machine. One of the reasons I went back to the MXT to begin with was that my other more complex machines required a learning curve every time I got them out as I haven't had much time the last few years to get out detecting. Hence my E-trac and XP deus went down the road. Not sure what I was thinking when I got started with this idea, but I decided to go with more coils to get added versatility from my MXTPRO and when I get to the point that I am able to get out at least once a week again, then I will stick my head up and look for something with more capabilities.

I never feel under gunned with my PRO anyway, and the ability to turn it on and go means a lot and the flexibility of use just so much more so....

Thanks to everyone who chimed in, I think the DFX would be an awesome machine, just realized I don't have the time to do it justice.

Go with the 8x6 sef coil it will never come of my MXT except realy tight situations when I switch to 4x6 coil.,,,,,CEDAR

mntnflyr4fun said:
Well, I bailed on the DFX adventure, just don't have the time to learn a more complex machine. One of the reasons I went back to the MXT to begin with was that my other more complex machines required a learning curve every time I got them out as I haven't had much time the last few years to get out detecting. Hence my E-trac and XP deus went down the road. Not sure what I was thinking when I got started with this idea, but I decided to go with more coils to get added versatility from my MXTPRO and when I get to the point that I am able to get out at least once a week again, then I will stick my head up and look for something with more capabilities.

I never feel under gunned with my PRO anyway, and the ability to turn it on and go means a lot and the flexibility of use just so much more so....

Thanks to everyone who chimed in, I think the DFX would be an awesome machine, just realized I don't have the time to do it justice.

Good choice. I love my MXT and it is my go to detector for almost everything. The only time I break out my V3i is when I want to do some experimenting, and it's a lot of fun for that purpose. But when I just want to find stuff without any added difficulty or complexity, I always chose the MXT. With a nice assortment of coils to suit various different hunting conditions, the MXT is the way to go.

Since I hunt salt water beaches mostly I would opt for the dual frequency DFX as it is a lot more stable in that enviorment.

If I were a field and park hunter I would be looking at the MX Sport and MX Pro detectors.
Very powerful, easy to use, and good price point.

However, for around $700 you can buy a new Equinox 600 that blows the doors off just about every other detector.

I had the DFX years ago and did well with it but there is a lot of tweaking involved so good choice to bail on it. My favorite Whites is an IDX Pro. I have seen my buddy find more coins with that machine than any other and it finds old coppers better than most machines. I was going to try and find an IDX pro and was looking for one under $300 but then heard about the veteran discount and went with the Equinox. I still want an IDX Pro but heard the M6 was similar so might save up for one down the road since I love Whites detectors.

Willee said:
Since I hunt salt water beaches mostly I would opt for the dual frequency DFX as it is a lot more stable in that enviorment.

If I were a field and park hunter I would be looking at the MX Sport and MX Pro detectors.
Very powerful, easy to use, and good price point.

However, for around $700 you can buy a new Equinox 600 that blows the doors off just about every other detector.

Blows the doors off just about every other detector.........unlikely.I live in britain where we search for small hammered and roman coins......the equinox is coming up short here......there are plenty for sale second hand.
I'd put an mxt up against an equinox in real world hunting situations and that goes for many detectors against many other machines too_Once you get to a certain level,in the right hands,the top detectors all compete equally against each other.......no one detector is much better than any other.
We've seen it with the explorer,goldmax power,deus etc,etc..........in real world conditions over a detecting season,your finds pouch will be just as full if you use a machine like the mxt compared to a machine like an equinox.

Great detectors both of them. Factory setting the MXT is deeper but learn the DFX and you've got a monster.

I've been using the DFX since 2003. Had a few MXT's and they were great but always seemed to go back to the DFX for the versatility.

I still have 2 DFX's to supplement my NOX 800. You can buy a good used DFX for $200-$300. Still the best target ID system on the market in my opinion.

I have an XLT,DFX, and twoMXT's. Either the DFX or the XLT will do well in all kinds of situations. I have found the MXT with the small Ecipse coil to be my choice in iron infested areas. On the MXT you dont have to look at the screen, just listen to the sound of the target. One of my MXT has a weak readout on the screen, but so what If the mixed mode gives me a other than iron sound I dig it, and large iron too if I feel lucky. The XLT and DFX you need to watch the screen too much