Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT pro for relic hunting or V3i

Hi there guys. I have a question pertaining to which detector would be suited the closest for my relic hunts. Im looking into either a MXT pro or the V3i. I don't hunt much for coins. Will most certainly use it strictly in woods and fields environment. I hunt for lead and brass relics and native float copper. Soils are quite sandy with above mineralization. Some of my targets can be 12 plus inches. Not much garbage in ground, occasional iron and or shot shells. Will the V3i be over kill for just mainly relic hunting? Does the MXT pro have the punch power to get down deep like the V3i would get? What large coil would you recommend. Thanks guys for any suggestions, Steve

Never used the V3i but I use the MXT for relic hunting here in Va and we have some 'hot soil' as well. The 'super 12' that came on my machine was very unstable in this ground, purchased the 10'dd coil and that smoothed it right out. On average where I'm hunting cw bullets are about 6'-11' on average and have no trouble picking them up. Just recently purchased the 10x12sef coil for it, but only have about 6hrs with it on my machine, need more time with it to see if I like it or not. ~ Good luck / Happy hunting.

The MXT Pro is a great machine for hunting relics and coins. I have found a bunch of awesome CW treasures with mine in LA (neutral) soil. I use the 6x9dd coil in the woods and fields. IF you have hot soil, a great machine is the White's TDI. Check em out and good luck.

Honestly?.... You can't go wrong with either one.

I have both and personally I like the V the best but I am a tinkerer so I like the adjustability.

The MXT will do a great job as well.... you will never feel outgunned.

Good and simple, the MXT will suit you. Not saying the V3 cann't do it, but you'll need a lot of more time to set this machine up for the environment I think.

TDI would be best, used TDI only 700 to 800 dollars, use DD coil 14" Coiltek or Minelab to discrimate the iron

as well as bullets, cartridge cases, complete cartridges, buttons [size=small](military or ornate civilian types)[/size], clothing fasteners, all manner of buckles and other clothing fasteners, and whatever else might be of interest in all the older sites I prefer to hunt.

I have a few detectors in my personal arsenal, and I acquire and use most of what comes out to evaluate it, in-the-field, and learn what other makes and models can and can't do. In the end, I often grab my MX5 w/6½" Concentric coil for a lot of quick work, but if limited to only one detector for serious hunting, regardless of it being Coin Hunting or Relic Hunting ... or coin hunting in relic-type conditions ... my #1 all purpose detector is the MXT All-Pro.

The MXT Pro or MXT All-Pro [size=small](the same detector without any circuitry changes made)[/size] is all I need [size=small](or anyone in my opinion)[/size] when outfitted with two or three search coils.

My favorite coils that are always along with me are the 6½" diameter Concentric [size=small](5.3 Eclipse)[/size], the new 9" Concentric 'spider' coil which I usually have mounted on my MXT All-Pro, and also in my back-pack detector bag [size=small](that I use to keep all my spare coils on their own lower rods)[/size] is the 12" Concentric. When I have a large, trash-free site to hunt and/or especially if searching for moderate to larger-size targets, the 12" coil can really get the job done. The other two, however, the 6½" & 9", are the primary use coils for almost all of the detecting I do.

Get an MXT Pro or MXT All-Pro, the 6½" and 9", and maybe the 12" if you feel it might work for your applications, and get into some serious Relic Hunting.

Monte

I have a Garrett pin pointer that I been using for the pass three years , and it is a dam good pointer. My pointer was drop in the creek , Garrett ,for free fix it which was great. I look at treasure net form , as well as here all the time. And people are aways talking about which one is best but, I always thought the purpose of the pin pointer was just for sniffing though the dirt in your hand or the pile of dirt that you had removed from the hole or feeling around in the hole. But, what we are seeing is people wanting more in a pin pointer then just doing the basic thing then what I just said. But, I guess if you want more spend more. what are your feeling about this ?

Mouseman, I wouldn't part with my DX-1 pinpointer from SunRay! WOULD NOT!!! I also have a SunRay probe for my E-trac and I know I will love it just the same. It's like you have a 1" detector coil in your hand. AWESOME!!!!! With the DX-1, you never have to worry about leaving your pinpointer somewhere or it falling out of your pouch. That's a BIG plus for me since I know people that have left there expensive handheld pinpointer on the ground and walked away and never to be found again. Right Rob???? :sad: That's a very expensive lesson to be learned.

Monte, I always enjoy your posts. Thank you!

Nancy-IL said:
Mouseman, I wouldn't part with my DX-1 pinpointer from SunRay! WOULD NOT!!! I also have a SunRay probe for my E-trac and I know I will love it just the same. It's like you have a 1" detector coil in your hand. AWESOME!!!!! With the DX-1, you never have to worry about leaving your pinpointer somewhere or it falling out of your pouch.................
Plus, some larger coils, DDs, ect will false but the DX1 will NOT false due to it being around 1". Sometimes a trashy, iron target produces a high tone with it and when you get close to the target you can check to see if the high tone is still there or if your coil was falsing afterall. Most times the coil is falsing and the DX1 will indicate the true iron or trash signal that the target should have produced. It's also nice to be able to discriminate WHILE pinpointing a target in a hole that has many metalic signals such as nails and rust. Any other pinpointer will have you seperate every single piece of metal while looking for the original target. You don't have to "pinpoint" with the DX1, you simply switch from the main coil to the DX1 coil. I stay in the same mode and wiggle the DX1 so it acts just like the coil. Of course, the MXT or whatever detector you have the DX1 attached to will show everything on screen while you are probing and pinpointing in the hole. Sometimes you have, say, a nickel signal and a bottlecap signal very close and when pinpointing with the DX1 you know which you are finding with the pinpointer. That's helpful when digging a target takes 10+ minutes due to hard ground, rocks, roots, ect.

Great reply Aarong81. Thank you!!! Hope you're doing good. HH, Nancy

I thought the dx-1 was just another pin pointer that had a cable hook to it for batterier feed. I didn't know you could get a screen reading from it, and separation to. When I wrote this comment I wasn't trying to compare pin pointers. I was just thinking of all the pointers that did the same as mine but, people wanting more dept and distance I didn't know what for. I didn't know the dx-1 did this I'm glad nancy lL had a reaction to my comment , and thank you Aaong 81 for setting things right , and like so many others I have an mxt pro.

:thumbup: Mouseman. Yes, the DX-1 is like a tiny coil and results will be displayed on your screen. Love it!! Pretty cool, isn't it?! HH, Nancy

Yes , and in the future I'll have one. I have 5 coils for my mxt pro and now I have something else to buy. This hobbie never stops.

:thumbup: And it's a hobby that pays for itself. Now that's cool. You won't be sorry getting the DX-1. Yes, something to look forward to. HH, Nancy

Monte, have you tried the MXT (All) Pro on the ocean salt beach as well and if so how is it? I know it has a salt setting. debating on the MX5 or MXT all pro or hold on longer for Safari or VX3