Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT Pro secret mode/tones

Aarong81

I read about a secret mode on the MXT Pro that allows you to use Relic Mode but with multi-tones found only in C/J mode. I'm interested in trying this out since Relic Mode is more stable than C/J and I really like the multi-tones from C/J but I cannot find the source that explained how to access this secret mode. From what I remember reading, Whites hadn't published anything about it and you access it by setting the MXT Pro in a certain mode, turn off the machine, switch modes while its off then turn it back on, resulting in having tones not normally available in Relic Mode. But instead of guessing and messing with it forever I'd like to find that source again. Plus, I'm sure a lot of people reading this may never have heard of it before and this could be informative.

It could be that this secret mode actually results in the detector being in PROSPECTING mode with multi-tone....I really cannot remember for sure. If so, that would also be great since it would also be more stable than C/J. Either way, hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Hi Aaron,

Don't know if this is what you are looking for but this works on my MXT Pro.

Startup the MXT Pro with the MODE switch in Coin & Jewelry. It will start up in Tone ID On.
Flip the MODE switch to Relic and you will have Tone ID working in relic mode.

If you touch the Tone Pad you will lose the Tone ID and will have to start all over.

Thank you Steve and Hunt4Fun! That was the very info I was searching for. I was pretty sure it was specific to the MXT Pro, AND it works in Relic or Prospecting mode alike! :clapping: Here is a quote from that page linked in Steve's post......

"The multi-tone feature was not intended for the Relic or Prospecting Modes. However, through a bug that is not documented in the owners manual you can activate the multi-tone mode by getting your MXT all set up in Coin & Jewelry Mode and then selecting multi-tone by pressing the "Musical Note" button. Now flip the toggle switch to either Relic Mode or Prospecting Mode and the multi-tone function will remain engaged. However, if you touch any of the control pads at any time now the multi-tone function will shut off. White's decided this "bug" might actually be useful so has left it as is for you to experiment with."

Since touching any of the control pad buttons resets the tones, I assume you have to Ground Balance before switching to Relic or Prospecting modes and NOT update the GB with the 'grab ground' button. You can still update the GB by simply flipping the trac switch from LOCK to GROUND then back to LOCK again. This is the way MXT users update GB but this MULTI-TONE feature is specific to the PRO model and we are probably already use to touching the grab button so keep that in mind.

This feature is useful because C/J mode only has a preset fast SAT speed which is why it is much noisier than Relic in 2-tone or Prospecting modes. I think Relic MULTI-TONE is going to be amazing because you can use a lot more gain and still have a very stable threshold. I can't wait till the snow melts so I can get back out to try this. I am curious what the preset SAT speed will be with multi-tone activated in Relic. :confused: Relic Mode has both Fast and Slow SAT Speeds depending on the Tone-ID you choose so its not a given. Although, Prospecting Mode ONLY has one preset SAT Speed......SLOW. As long as it has multi-tone, This may be the preferred mode to use.

When you flip from C & J to Relic it is in slow SAT with Tone ID so, like you said, Gain can be turned up. The Relic mode with Tone ID takes a while to get accustomed to but it does work great.

Hey,thank you for the information. I will print that out on my computer and put it with my book. Again thank you. It take's alot to know this detector , and no one told me a year ago that this was a lot of work. But, good work it's fun. I found a penny yesterday 1972 ,and I was pumped.