Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT stock 9" coil or 5.3 eclipse go deeper?

I would like to get some thoughts from people who may have used both of these coils or somebody who knows the electronics well. I am searching an old park that gets quite a bit of detecting traffic. Ive heard the 5.3 goes deep but does it go deeper than the stock 9" coil over the same ground? The soil under the grass is quite black and rich, full of earthworms. Ive heard from other detectorists that there finding 1920 and 30's era coins (dimes) 6-7" deep. Some parts of the park are very trashy and I would only use the 5.3". When Im away from all the junk im just not sure which coil will actually go deeper into the soil and give me more accuracy on these silver coins. Im not looking to buy a new coil just trying to choose from the two I have. Thoughts??

Hi Jim. The stock 9" goes the deepest out of the two. The 5.3 is great for hunting amongst the thick junk as you can isolate your targets much easier.
So no, the 5.3 does not go as deep as the 9. For a little coil it does have great depth and sensitivity though.

B.T. is right on the money, but I might suggest keeping the 5.3 on since the park has seen a lot of detecting. I have gone over ground with a smaller coil after I have used a larger one and I'm amazed at what I have found that was masked from detection by the stock coil. It might be worth a try anyway and the targets are not always deep either.

Would you guys care to venture a guess as to what kind of depth i could get with either one? The ground is a very rich black topsoil with lots of earthworms.

I have to agree with the previous answers. There are several variables when trying to answer this one. The depth will vary whether the coin is face on, vertical, or at an angle. Smaller coins/targets = less depth. You'll be able to hear an audio response a good bit deeper on a target than the display can identify. All that said, I'll venture a guess and give the 5.3 6-8" on a dime, possibly a bit more and the 9.5 8-10" on a dime, possibly a bit more, depending on the gain setting, the soil and other possible variables. The most important thing for you to keep in mind is that the deepest targets will not show accurately or at all on your display. You will have to listen for faint signals that may not be anything more than slight rises in the loudness of the threshold hum. I strongly suggest that anyone using a target ID machine spend a good bit of effort in learning the little nuances in the audio of different targets. Sometimes this will make the difference between digging an apparent junk target that turns out to be a goodie versus assuming it's just another nail/pulltab etc. and passing it up. Hope this is helpful.
HH
BB

Thanks BB. Thats some good info!!