Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT VDI chart

WyDiablo

I'm looking for a chart of the VDI numbers for the MXT. Does anyone have a chart/link for this?

Thanks
WyDiablo

I think there is a chart right on the MXT, but don't put too much faith in a VDI chart unless the targets are pretty close to the surface. Deeper targets, targets near trash, multiple targets and the list goes on......... can be off by 30 VDI numbers or more.

This is correct, dug a nail yesterday masking a silver quarter, VDI was 45. It was in a well hunted area and I was digging all in hopes of finding the mask treasures like this. VDI is great reference but digging is for sure.

WyDiablo...

Here is a VDI chart I found while lookin' around on the Internet. Like Larry said, don't put too much faith in the VDI chart. It should only be used as a reference. After being a member of this forum, I have realized that the only way to make sure you aren't passing over gold is to DIG EVERYTING!!!!

[attachment 196655 VDI20Table1.jpg]

[size=large]i recommend getting jeff foster's book, the mxt edge. it has referance vdi numbers in it among other great info.he also stresses like larry and leebowhunter68, the vdi numbers as indicators of the target not confirmation of what it is.

HH[/size]

Consistency of sound is better than going off the vdi in my opinion. vdi is great as a guideline only, a visual of your target is the best discrimination. I recently located a target and got a consistent +94 and half a bar, it sounded like a good target and when I dug it up, it was a 1989 quarter. After digging it up I waved the coin over my coil and it was a solid +83 and a full bar, rechecked the hole and nothing more. The ground was very mineralized at 79 so I think that had something to do with the vdi being off.

John said:
Consistency of sound is better than going off the vdi in my opinion. vdi is great as a guideline only, a visual of your target is the best discrimination. I recently located a target and got a consistent +94 and half a bar, it sounded like a good target and when I dug it up, it was a 1989 quarter. After digging it up I waved the coin over my coil and it was a solid +83 and a full bar, rechecked the hole and nothing more. The ground was very mineralized at 79 so I think that had something to do with the vdi being off.
I've had very similar situations myself many times . . .although not usually as high as 94.

Thanks for the reply guys. I"m not new to medal detecting, as a matter of fact I"m kinda old at the hobby. I just remembered seeing a VDI chart somewhere on the web but could not find it. I started in the hobby back in 1975 and I have been going at it pretty strong since. Thanks again

WyDiablo

There is also a guy who did a bunch of youtube videos on vdi readings on the mxt with all the standard american coinage including silver.

Here is a link to the chart I use. I copied it and adjusted it it to a readable size and printed it on a 3x5 card. I am thinking of laminating one and hanging it from my detector.
http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/the_mxt_faq2.htm
Lee