Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT w/10x12 SEF vs CTX 3030 w/stock 11"

Wayfarer

I love my MXT, but wanted to see what all the hype was about so I bought a Minelab CTX 3030 last fall. With the early spring weather I've finally been able to get it out and have now hunted with it about a half-dozen times now as well as played around a lot with it in my backyard test garden.

The CTX is very nice. It balances perfectly, the ergonomics are the best of any detector I've ever used. It's smooth and I live the tones and audio qualities. No question I like it better than the V3i I finally gave up on. I hunt in old parks and schools mostly, and have been on a mission the last several years to get the last deep coins out of them that I can. The parks I hunt have been cleaned out for decades, by numerous hunters, clubs, even dealer detecting classes, but as we know, nothing's ever totally hunted out. In fact, these parks are the perfect test ground for deep coins since most of the surface (0" to 6") trash has been cleaned out. Even most of the pulltabs are gone now! Pretty much all I dig is deep non-ferrous targets.

I head right to the most hunted out part of the park, right by the big oak trees at the front by the sign. This is where I've hunted mostly with my new CTX. In about 20 hours of hunting, I've pulled 13 Wheaties, 12 of them dated before 1930, and they were all DEEP. Every one was carefully measured at between 7 and 8 inches. I really got the feeling I was reaching a whole new layer of old coins. Even an inch of extra depth can make a huge difference in hunted out areas. None of the targets were found near trash except one, that I thought for sure was deep iron but checked just be sure .. and it turned out to be a 1910 wheatie at 8 inches! (By the way, on the CTX, after experimenting with various settings, I hunt with an open screen, combined 5-tone audio, Auto +3 sensitivity, ferrous coin, fast ON, deep ON). I've been thinking I've finally found a detector that can beat my MXT.

So just to be sure I was going to start hunting exclusively with the CTX as my new deep coins in parks detector, I bought a new 10x12 SEF for my MXT, to give my MXT one last chance. First I tried my backyard test garden. Holy smokes! I was getting a solid hit on my 8 inch clad dime (buried 5 years now) and with a good VDI bouncing around between 72-80. With the D2 or 950 concentric I could just barely get a repeatable audio hit but no accurate VDI reading. My 6x10 would give the barest of audio blips about every 10th swing. But the 10x12 SEF was hitting it solid every swing with a good solid VDI coin indication on 3 out of 4 swings, BY FAR the best performance I've ever gotten out of any detector.

So out comes the CTX 3030 with the stock 11" DD coil. No matter how much I tweaked, I could only get a fairly decent audio signal, not as clean as the MXT but diggable, most of the time but with only occasional accurate ID. I would say that this translates into the MXT with the 10x12 SEF getting about an inch more depth than the CTX on deep coins.

Next up was my 7" dime next to a pulltab. Both are down 7" and the pulltab is 2 inches to the right of the dime. No detector I've ever had can separate out the dime from the pulltab. The two targets that close give a strong audio response but ID bounces all over the place. Even my V3i would just bounce all over without any indication of two separate targets - 3 freq pinpoint didn't do much good at this depth. The best detector in this test has been my MXT with the 6x10 elliptical. If I approach from the left (the side with the dime) and wiggle it back and forth right at the edge of detection on that side, I can usually get a repeatable coin VDI, but I have to get the swing JUST right, just the right coil control. No way in the real world without knowing the target in advance would I ever dig the signal though. My CTX will NOT give a repeatable coin ID no matter what settings I try or how I swing the coil. All I get is a fairly strong non-ferrous audio signal with jumpy ID. And forget the "Dual Trace" screen. Judging by the Minelab hype, you'd think you'd get two distinct patterns on the screen, one for the dime and one for the pulltab, but no, all you get is scattering and bouncing tones with no discernible pattern. Enter the MXT with 10x12. It was able to get a solid hit on the dime easily using my back and forth wiggle on the left side. Solid VDI numbers! The 10x12 SEF was both deeper than any of my other coils AND separated better than any of my non-sniper coils.

Fairly convinced now the 10x12 SEF would really bring the MXT back to the cutting edge, I headed out to my favorite hunted out park. I headed right to the same area where I had been using my CTX. In two hours I pulled two Wheaties, both 8", and an 1891 V-nickel at 9"! This particular 20'x20' spot might be the most hunted out 400 sq. ft. of park in Idaho, and smack dab in the center I find an 1891 V-nickel! Granted it wasn't the best signal. VDI'd as iron with an occasional bounce up into ferrous, but the audio was decent and repeatable. This was at preset sensitivity, disc at 3, and in alternate relic mode. Alternate relic mode is great for deep coins, by the way. The iron tone is silenced which lets the non-ferrous high tones sneak through a little better. The Wheaties had good solid repeatable tones and decent, but not perfect, VDI's - but still obvious diggable signals. I spent another couple hours in the same park digging deep trash just for the practice and to learn the new 10x12 coil. This coil is DEEP.

I know I had been over all of those targets with the CTX and did not get diggable signals. There was not any trash nearby, just isolated, but DEEP, coin signals, which is supposed to be what the CTX excels at.

Conclusion: After my highly unscientific and subjective test, I would say that the MXT with the 10x12 SEF coil is deeper in my soil (low iron mineralization) than the CTX 3030 with the stock 11" coil. Not by much, maybe by a half of an inch, but enough that it makes a difference. They say coils are what separates detector performance these days, and now I believe it. The 10x12 SEF made the MXT come alive and outperform the CTX at least on isolated deep coins. With all the great things I've been hearing about how well the 10x12 separates, I expect the performance advantage to be even bigger in the trash.

I was going to use the CTX for deep coins in parks and the MXT for when it's gets trashy, but now I'm not so sure. I may just end up using the MXT for everything and just switch out coils.

-- moved topic --

Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to test side by side on real targets. I would have to say you may gain a little on the CTX as you get more use on but will say the MXT is still up there with the best of them. If you go to the coast you will really like the CTX. You got a couple of great machines.
Shortcut

The mxt,mxtpro,m6 and mx5 all turn into much better detectors with a sef coil... I used the 8x6 and 10x12 and that turned them into super detectors..

Used MXT for years I found opposite with MXT with 10x12 SEF vs Minelab Sovereign with 10x12 SEF the Sovereign has found more silver than MXT

Sovereign also discrimates better than MXT if you learn the sounds of Sovereign

Well I don't have a dog in this hunt. But what would happen with a bigger coil on the CTX ? Two friends where I stay on the Gulf in the winter. One with the CTX, been hunting since mid 80's. Second year for his friend swinging a MXT Pro. When they're together, the newbe , with the Mxt gets beat every time, soundly. He admittedly gets to hunting too fast when around Mr. Ctx
By himself, he does a lot better. (All hunting being done on sanded in beaches) And with stock coils. I truly believe the results would be the same If they switched machines.
One observation, the veteran because of health reasons, and experience, hunts a lot slower, and methodically. I've been hunting since 2000, and admittedly , with just a couple of suggestions he has unlocked a couple of doors for me.

Thanks again for taking the time to report your comparison between these two machines which you own and which you use. Keep up the good work it does not matter what you write their will be people to argue your findings. It is like you slapped them in the face or something if your results do not match what they expect. Comparison tests are certainly not fair or equal, I have both machines and others I can say on certain days at certain sites I agree with your results. And I have seen other days when it's the other way around. As far as coil size the elliptical type coils are usually figured on the width of the coil which would actually be smaller then the stock 11" on the CTX. I love my CTX and it works great for me but it has been beat by detectors which are much less expensive depending on the day and apparently circumstances. Keep your results coming.
Shortcut

No it isn't a fair comparison. Not even close. I've owned both and even without having owned both I can say this comparison smells.

How long have you been using your MXT? And by your own admission you've used the CTX 6 times? My point is, I used the Whites DFX for 8 years so needless to say I was very proficient with it. I could get depth the new or even average DFX user could never expect. Not thinking I used to post how my DFX got just as deep as my E-Trac I had just purchased. OK, now we all know that is a ridiculous statement, but I felt it was true only because I had the experience to get the very best depth out of the DFX and no experience to get the depth out of the E-Trac. Having used the E-Trac for 6 years now I realize just how stupid my comparison was.

Don't get me wrong, the MXT is a fine detector, but it isn't even in the same league as the CTX and that is why you're getting hammered about your comparison. How about you put that CTX in the hands of someone experienced and you take the MXT and let us all see a video comparison? Not going to happen I'm sure.

By the way, I thought my DFX was the better detector over the MXT. The MXT was a tad deeper but the target ID wasn't near as accurate. I got rid of the MXT after a couple seasons because I used my DFX instead. I have been thinking about getting a MXT Pro as a backup though.

Using the CTX 6 times would not qualify you as a CTX 3030 expert to do a comparison IMHO. After you get a couple hundred hours on the CTX, do another comparison and I think we might take your opinion more seriously.

Larry (IL) said:
Using the CTX 6 times would not qualify you as a CTX 3030 expert to do a comparison IMHO. After you get a couple hundred hours on the CTX, do another comparison and I think we might take your opinion more seriously.

Rough crowd, but if you put up a comparison with a lot of specifics, especially about a current popular (and expensive) model, you'd better be ready to take some heat. :stretcher: I don't hold myself out as a CTX "expert" :rolleyes: but I do call my myself an experienced detectorist though, and have owned and used a lot of machines over the decades. (I probably should have called this more "initial impressions of the CTX":surrender:). You can read some of my other comparisons here on this forum and elsewhere on machines I've owned and used extensively (V3i, VX3, XL Pro, XLT, IDX Pro, Gold Bug Pro, Sovereign GT).

Detectors are more similar than different, IMHO. For example, an expert driver can get into a car model he's never driven and still drive it pretty well and get a good feel for it without yet having learned its nuances that only comes with experience with that model. VLF is matured technology. There's only so much you can do now, in the bells and whistles department primarily. Basic understanding of how VLF works and how it responds to different targets, closely spaced trash, deep targets, etc., is the most important skill to have with any detector. The differences I find between detector models is just minor stuff around the edges really. Audio response (e.g. the MXT's crackly hot audio) , discrimination anomalies (GB Pro excessive depth loss in disc), recovery speed (XL Pro being "glacial" in GEB/Disc), and so on. But they all work on the same basic VLF technology with the same basic limitations.

I feel I can pretty much pick up any VLF detector and figure out how to make it work reasonably well within a few hours. Naturally, it will take many more hours, tens if not hundreds of hours to really learn the machine and squeeze out the very best performance. Coil control is probably the hardest thing to learn on a detector, as every model requires a slightly different technique to get the most out of it, and that only comes with experience. That's just my take.

The CTX is really very simple with only a handful of adjustments that affect performance. Disc pattern, separation mode, and a handful of other settings, so it's relatively easy to experiment and try almost every possible combination of settings. The best way to learn any detector and what I've done with the CTX, is find what I'm 99% sure is a deep coin and then spend some time tweaking and experimenting and see what gives the best response. After 15-20 of these types of targets and spending 10-15 minutes analyzing each one, I settled on my settings (no disc/open screen, combined 5-tone audio, Auto +3 sensitivity, ferrous coin, fast ON, deep ON) but am still experimenting, especially with high/low trash. Ground coin definitely does not work well in my soil. Soil matters, of course, and my soil is overall low mineralization but high iron.

I really like the CTX and am looking forward to a full detecting season learning its nuances and how to get the most from it. I was just surprised how well my MXT did and that I did not get the "wow" performance factor out of the box with my CTX that many people talk about.

I'm thrilled to have a couple heavy hitters on this forum take notice of my post and contribute. Now please teach me and others how to get the best out of my CTX. Reading my post is there anything that leaps out that I am doing wrong with the CTX? In particular, what coil movement techniques can I use to get better trash separation especially at depth? That's the biggest problem I am having so far with the CTX (dime vs pulltab test in my original post, see above).

Well I'm not a "heavy hitter" on here but allow me to insert my 2 cents.

To use your analogy, I could be a world class race car driver and if I was handed a 4x4 to compare to a mustang in the 1/4 mile my driving experience won't count for much in the end. The MXT and the CTX aren't even in the same class. Frankly, having used them both several seasons, I can't imagine the MXT being even close to the same depth possibility of the CTX.

A comparison test of machines is an "only" at that moment results..

Experience with the machines, ground conditions ( Locations) can and will have very different results..

Ones likes, and dislikes, of a certain detector can make a difference........ Understanding all the settings can and will make a difference.

Ones results does not make their findings right or wrong. It's just their experience of that test...

An example of detector usage. I can not get good results with a V3i. Larry IL can amaze you with his results......... That isn't a slam on my part either.It is a fact..
It's also a fact Larry IL will dazzle you using the same detector.. Why..he understands it.. I do not..

Elton, boy do I agree with you. For starters, soil conditions and EMI are two big location-dependent variables. Most of these so-called comparisons floating around are near useless because either 1) soil conditions are not noted or even understood, or 2) the operator doesn't know how to properly run his machine. It's pretty obvious when that happens, but there's still frequently good information in such comparisons, you just need to take them with a big grain of salt. The best comparisons are ones that try to be as scientific as possible and at least try to control for as many variables as possible. And location is always a huge variable.

Southwind, you're being modest! Your posts are some of the most informative and helpful I've read, especially on the CTX and the DFX. Thanks!

I went out again in my backyard to try again. Maybe I didn't get the coil right over the center of the target? Maybe I hadn't reset the sensitivity after my last experiment? But no, the results were the same: the MXT hit solid and gave good VDI. The CTX hit "OK" but not as good as the MXT. Again, I tried every possible swing speed and coming at the targets from multiple angles, etc., but the MXT had the edge, no question. This is also with the stock settings on the MXT. Just turn on, set gain to preset, ground balance, and go. On the CTX, the stock "Coin" program doesn't do as well as my open screen A+3 program, so with the CTX in the stock program there was an even bigger performance difference. Not that the CTX performance is bad, we are talking about 8" dimes, just that the MXT is getting them better. None of the CTX settings make much of a difference except for sensitivity. In my soil, the CTX runs at 23-26 when it's on +3, so that should be good enough to beat out an MXT, right?

Maybe I have an exceptionally hot and well-tuned MXT? Although I tend to believe quality control is pretty good on both White's and Minelab and "good" and "bad" detectors are a figment of the imagination...operator error or inexperience almost always ends up being the root cause.

My next experiment will be to take both detectors to the park and test them on the same buried targets. Go through with one detector, mark the targets, take notes on response, ID, etc., and then come through on the same targets with the other detector. That'll have to wait until this weekend when I can use my second detector carrier, aka my 11 year old daughter.

First of all get "out" of Auto + 3 and into manual on the ctx! I think you will see a huge difference in depth!

Fletch, I have to disagree with getting out of auto+3 and going to manual. My experience with the CTX has shown that I get a more stable machine with depth being about the same in auto+3. Honestly, being in manual vs auto is dependant on your soil and the amount of mineralization. As you are sweeping, the CTX 3030 automatically measures the ground, and uses this information to set the Sensitivity to the maximum stable setting. So, in soil with positive mineralization its best to run auto+3. Now if your soil is negative or conductive such as on a white sand beach, a manual sensitivity is best because the FBS can not detect the ground changing and will be inconsistent with sensitivity settings. This will cause the machine to be either chattery or a loss of depth.

Your results do not surprise me at all. i got the same hecklers when I posted my MXT with the 10x12 SEF would hit a 10 inch dime and a 12 inch quarter. They can say what they want but in my near perfect soil with no adjacent trash in the test garden it will give good audio and diggable ID every time on those coins that have been buried 3 years. In fact the M6 will hit the dime but struggles a little bit on the quarter with the ID.

i got the same hecklers when I posted my MXT with the 10x12 SEF would hit a 10 inch dime and a 12 inch quarter.

Under the right conditions I could do the same with my DFX and the 12" Hot Head, but to insinuate my DFX is comparable to the CTX and I would expect to be heckled.

This is the one reason why i try and not get into conversation about how deep a detector or new coil will go,i use use different coils small and larger than stock coils to do specific detecting jobs,but to save any problems just prefer to leave out any specific claims or depth increases etc.

Just my personal opinion of course.

This is written for the Etrac but it should apply to CTX as well I've owned both and found what he is explaining to be true. Google search "manual sensitivty Etrac" and the article by Gordan Heritage will pop up. I am unable to post a link.

Well nobody has stated the most obvious advantage the CTX 3030 has over the MXT Pro, and that is the ability to take a garden hose and squirt water on your machine. Probably don't wanna do that to the MXT's. Other then that the MXT's are a far more versatile machine able to hunt in a far wider range of conditions. The CTX might do better on a deeper coin, provided the deeper coin isn't being effected/masked by other nearby targets. Not to mention its a (butt) heavy machine that does not balance well. So yes I guess you could say that it is in a class of its own. Very expensive machine for its somewhat limited capabilities.