Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My 18th Silver coin and My 1st Barber dime - 1914 D

McClod

I've been detecting now for 14 months, I haven't posted many find photos during that time. I've only managed to find a total of 18 silver coins, 5 silver rings and 1 - 10k gold ring. Weekend before last I went hunting at an older local park/school from the early 1900's, with a group of about 6 other local friends that I hunt with on occasion.

They're from the metaldetectingoregon.com group, which is an excellent local detecting site that has been a huge help in my learning curve. My 3rd dig, 4 inches down out pops a shiney BB, man I thought I'd been suckered again for a moment, then thought NO WAY could that BB be giving me a 12:43, and 13:45/46! So I scanned again and target was still in the hole, much to my relief! Another inch down and out pops the 1914 Barber dime, I was so surprised to see that coin that I pulled out my phone and texted it to my buddy that had just left, who texted back NO WAY!

That silver dime was my 1st and last for the days hunt as I had arrived later than the other guys had, I don't want to tell they're stories for them so suffice it to say that several of them had a very good silver coin count, including ones personal best day of 8 silver coins, including an 1897 barber dime! We all had a great time hunting this "hunted out" park, which is apparently not so hunted out after all, but it has been hunted many many times over the years and just goes to show no place is ever really hunted out!

Silver coins aren't so easy to come by in our area (Portland OR) as we do not have any real coin history here until the mid 1800's, and then it was scarce. Of course those with more experience than I have, find more than I do so hopefully in time my find will Improve.

I didn't start detecting until I retired (unfortunately for me!) but after I started I hunted most every day from 2 to 6 hours, and it took me 8 solid months of detecting before I found my 1st silver coin! The 1st 6 months with an AT Pro, and with my CTX 3030 after. I was on a mission, my hunting has slowed some now but not too much.

Almost all of my bucket list coins are still on my "to find" list, and many of them I'll probably only find if I take a trip to the East coast, but I sure was happy to find my 1st Barber silver coin!

Next month my wife and I will be traveling to the Frederick Maryland area to visit her family, and I plan on taking my detector with me, I can't wait for an opportunity to hunt back there!!!
So, if anyone from that area reads this, I would appreciate very much any tips and info on locations that I could hunt in without worry of getting arrested and having my detector confiscated! I love it back there, so much history there I can feel it all around me when I'm there. I'll only be there for a week this time so I need to get busy researching where I can hunt. Thanks for reading this and happy hunting!

McC Nice going on the Barber, congratulations. As you remind us all, knowing your machine and rechecking the hole definitely produces sometimes. Now you need a barber quarter or half. In NY state here I met a fellow digger, from California who said he had to head east for silver, all they had out there was gold. Good Hunts, CO

Congratulations on the Silver. Very Nice Find.

So do you think the CTX 3030 was worth it? I think you'll find a much better chance of pulling up the older stuff in MD. Ask you wife's family if the know anyone with an old property that might give you permission to detect. You might find yourself a real happy camper if you do. Many of my best finds have been on private property where I've obtained permission including a 1788 2 real, 1804 large cent and 1837 No Stars Seated Dime that I found this year and that only scratches the surface. Congrats on your first Barber dime!

mcb316, I'm still waiting for my first 1800's coin!!

Doninbrewster,

I'll definately ask about properties, can't wait to hunt Maryland, and yes, I absolutely believe the CTX was worth the money, I nevery found silver until I got it. An etrac may have done the same but I wanted waterproof.

A big congrats on finding your first Barber Dime !

Don't knock the west as far as old coins go. The oldest coins I have found (so far) are from Oregon. I've found a couple of Barber dimes, several indian head pennies, and even a 2 cent piece, all not too far from Portland. Granted, not as old as what would be found on the East coast, but nothing to sneeze at either. If you put in the time doing research to try to find the places people gathered in the old days, places that aren't so 'obvious' today, and get permission if on private property, i am betting you will start finding more and more of those 'older' goodies. You've definitely got a good machine to help you find them!