Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My 2021 detector lineup-play it safe

IowaRelic

Sold and traded through everything lately and I’m finally setup for next season. Though I can hunt all year in my location.
For the woods and deep relic spots I’ve held on to the T2 LTD. I purchased the new NEL Superfly 11x12” DD coil. Excited to try this combo.
For old sites and iron patches I purchased an older model G2 with the stock 11” coil. I then purchased a Nel Sharp 5” DD for iron work.
For parks and yards, I got a new Omega 8500 with 10/20 build date. It came with 11” dd and 4” concentric. I added a fisher 7” concentric to try too.
overall, I’m playing it safe. The 8500 being the only unknown. The 8500 seems to show advantage in depth, separation, and emi handling over the 8000 version 4 that I had. More testing to come. Not sure when I will hunt with the 8500 at this point.

Sold and traded through everything lately and I’m finally setup for next season. Though I can hunt all year in my location.
For the woods and deep relic spots I’ve held on to the T2 LTD. I purchased the new NEL Superfly 11x12” DD coil. Excited to try this combo.
For old sites and iron patches I purchased an older model G2 with the stock 11” coil. I then purchased a Nel Sharp 5” DD for iron work.
For parks and yards, I got a new Omega 8500 with 10/20 build date. It came with 11” dd and 4” concentric. I added a fisher 7” concentric to try too.
overall, I’m playing it safe. The 8500 being the only unknown. The 8500 seems to show advantage in depth, separation, and emi handling over the 8000 version 4 that I had. More testing to come. Not sure when I will hunt with the 8500 at this point.
I’m anxious to hear how that super fly coil does on the T2. Hurry up and test it out would ya 😁🍻

I’m anxious to hear how that super fly coil does on the T2. Hurry up and test it out would ya 😁🍻
I just ordered it less than an hour ago 😆. I’m excited to try it. It’s feather light and on the T2 should be quite deep. I will for sure be doing videos in the test garden with the T2 and the 8500

I just ordered it less than an hour ago 😆. I’m excited to try it. It’s feather light and on the T2 should be quite deep. I will for sure be doing videos in the test garden with the T2 and the 8500
Sounds good to me buddy. Looking forward to it. Just started looking in to that coil yesterday and you’ve got one coming. Thanks my man.

The "Super Fly" is supposed to weigh 14.8 oz. (without coil cover).-----But----why all the detector changing?----Bored?:)

The "Super Fly" is supposed to weigh 14.8 oz. (without coil cover).-----But----why all the detector changing?----Bored?:)
Yeah, pretty much. Just seeing what I like and what I don’t. The t2 and g2 are a staple. Won’t part with em.

Clearly you’re a fan of Teknetics.
caught me! I’ve used Tesoro, FT, Minelab, and Nokta. The FT stuff is always ergonomic, good performance, good coil options. Mostly American. They seem to have the most models that I like. I really enjoy the Nokta Makro stuff also.

I'd like to get a review of the Superfly when you get some hours on it. It seems to be rare. I can't find it in Canada. Awesome looks and super light for that size. I have the Detech Ultimate now but it's badly beat up and I don't know how long it will survive. It's hard to decide between coils when there is so much choice (Mars, MGC, NEL/CORS, Karma).

A writeup on the Omega 8500 would be nice too ! I sometimes miss the 3 and 4 tones of my F5 and Omega 8000 compared to my F19/G2+.

Like you, whatever I get next, I will not part with my F19 and G2+

I'd like to get a review of the Superfly when you get some hours on it. It seems to be rare. I can't find it in Canada. Awesome looks and super light for that size. I have the Detech Ultimate now but it's badly beat up and I don't know how long it will survive. It's hard to decide between coils when there is so much choice (Mars, MGC, NEL/CORS, Karma).

A writeup on the Omega 8500 would be nice too ! I sometimes miss the 3 and 4 tones of my F5 and Omega 8000 compared to my F19/G2+.

Like you, whatever I get next, I will not part with my F19 and G2+
The superfly was a no brainer for me. It’s very light. It should have excellent shielding. Being an 11” round it should punch pretty good compared to the T2 stock coil. The Mars is interesting but I know NEL coils are great. The MGC is a good bargain but the weight looks to be considerably higher on each coil than competitors. I have a detech 13” for the t2, it’s got a ton of hours by looks of it, from a previous owner. I don’t care for it. It’s too erratic and doesn’t ground balance well at all. It is deep and feels good to swing though.

The 8500 may take some time for me to write about. I don’t have many sites where it’s a first choice. I know that I will totally avoid the iron with it though. In some quick tests I did on the deck, the 8500 with a 4” concentric will not pick out a dime very well from between the screws in any setting but the g2 can do it with the stock coil.
I will say that the “clipped” audio of the omega doesn’t really bother me so far. It has trouble getting any of the test coins in my garden with the 11” DD though. 9” wheat penny is iffy. 8” silver dime is better. 10” silver quarter is silent. I think, a lot like the 8000, it’s good to about 8” on coins. Even using D5 audio. So, my hope is to use it for curb strips, parks and schools. It has a lot better stability at high gain than the 8000. I have a 7” concentric coming for it. My only hope is that it’s a stud in aluminum trash. That’s all I want from it.

I put my 8500 through a week or so of 4-5 hour hunting days just recently park hunting and you pretty well nailed its over all capabilities, IowaRelic. Although I can live with the clipped tones, I don't like them compared to the 8000 audio. I dug 2 targets, a wheat cent and a silver dime in the 8" or so depth range in Deep 0 and D5 tone. Switching over to D4 (proportional audio) tones, they were a faint tic at best. I have to work it very carefully in a trashy park environment. Its deeper then my 8000, but a lot more noisy. HH Jim tn

I put my 8500 through a week or so of 4-5 hour hunting days just recently park hunting and you pretty well nailed its over all capabilities, IowaRelic. Although I can live with the clipped tones, I don't like them compared to the 8000 audio. I dug 2 targets, a wheat cent and a silver dime in the 8" or so depth range in Deep 0 and D5 tone. Switching over to D4 (proportional audio) tones, they were a faint tic at best. I have to work it very carefully in a trashy park environment. Its deeper then my 8000, but a lot more noisy. HH Jim tn
Jim, are you using headphones when digging those deeper coins? I would think I’d prefer to hunt in deep 1, 4 tone and switch to d5 to check a target possibly. Then deep 0 for thick aluminum. The audio seems about the same as an Apex as far as clipping is what I’m thinking. I’m more concerned about it’s outright performance in the field at this point. I have a church permission I’m going to use it for in the coming weeks. I’ve only messed with it in the yard, and there’s no targets in my yard really lol

Last edited:
Yes, I always use headphones. I pretty much hunt heavy trash and deep 0 separates better and also seems to be deeper then 1.

I hadn't used the 8500 for a while, so it was kind of a relearning thing for me, but as I recall, I came to the above conclusions previously??? Good luck! HH Jim tn

Have you had any luck with the new Superfly?

Have you had any luck with the new Superfly?
Yes I’ve recovered some civil war bullets and some nice little relics from an old park. Only been out a couple times. My impressions are that it’s similar to the stock coil in a lot of ways. It is a touch deeper. It’s a great and stable coil.

Yes I’ve recovered some civil war bullets and some nice little relics from an old park. Only been out a couple times. My impressions are that it’s similar to the stock coil in a lot of ways. It is a touch deeper. It’s a great and stable coil.
Thats great you found some relics with it already. How do you like the separation. How does it perform in a little bit trashy area in other words.

It can work into a little trash but it can be a little tedious. My first outing a old heavy use park was about like I expected. Some places were just too many targets for it. But mostly I was able to just listen through the blasters for deeper stuff.