Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My best of 2017 - a positive spin for our MD'ing passion

Ytcoinshooter

I haven't posted much this year, especially as detecting finds go. Looking forward to a great 2018. I did accomplish one thing I felt was important in regards to keeping positive light on metal detecting. I was contacted by another club member about putting together something for the local CBS affiliate WFSB that airs a daily program highlighting local interests on a variety of subjects. We recorded for about two hours on 6/29 and it was edited into about 7 minutes for the segment. Our local zany weatherman is one of the shows hosts and the guy who interviewed myself and three other club members that included my stepson. We pulled off a nice, positive and realistic treasure hunting piece that aired 7/23.
http://www.wfsb.com/clip/13532101/scot-searches-for-buried-treasure

Happy Hunting,
Bruce

Great video Bruce! You mentioned all the right stuff i.e. hinged plugs, leaving the site as though no one was there, taking trash with you etc etc;. You left the viewer's and the newbie with positive thought's re; metal detectorist's and the hobby :thumbup:

Now that was a good video. Great speech.

Thanks for the kind words. With so much new blood getting into detecting I have many concerns about preserving our ability to enjoy it on lands beyond private property. In the long run the most important thing is to show what we do in a positive light. I know many detectorists who have spread the good karma by their skill, some I know personally post up on Finds. Quite a few I personally know have contributed to the public (museums) and archeological community....you know, the academics, some of whom now have a different and positive view of what we can contribute. It is mutually beneficial.
BTW - we did this video purposely in a field where you could "tear it up a bit" when digging. There had been previously been some nice finds there and it is pasture, open space.
HH - Bruce