Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Best V3i Find Is Now Certified Genuine!

I got my coin back from NGC today. As is the case with 99.9% of dug coins it is marked "damaged". You would really need to use a high powered loupe to see anything wrong with this coin, but I was expecting it to be details only. I was hoping for AU, but it came back XF, which is still awesome! It was also certified to be the rare LM-3 variety. If not for the damage, this coin lists in the price guide at $5800.

n/t

Hey Neil, Glad your coin came back and as genuine.....never a question by anyone around here! I sell a lot of Early American Coinage and as time goes on, supply gets put in long term holdings, more people concentrate on these types of coins, and demand is forcing prices up on attractive coins that have compromises of this sort. Bet you will see this be a good coin for you long term. It may not have the same pricing of it's "problem free" brethren.... but it will still increase in value proportionately to them.

Nice coin Neil :thumbup:

As I recall you were adamant about NOT submitting your treasure for authentication and grading. I'm glad that you reconsidered and sent it to NGC (as I'm sure you are too).

GREAT find, GREAT coin and it's accurately graded.

It may be difficult to top that find but if anyone can, YOU can!!

Happy Hunting,
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel said:
As I recall you were adamant about NOT submitting your treasure for authentication and grading. I'm glad that you reconsidered and sent it to NGC (as I'm sure you are too).

GREAT find, GREAT coin and it's accurately graded.

It may be difficult to top that find but if anyone can, YOU can!!

Happy Hunting,
Blind Squirrel

To be honest, I am considering selling it, so I felt it was a necessity!

As NW1886 has implied, the market is strong for coins of this nature. If you are registered with Heritage Auctions you will be able to view past auction results of similarly graded specimens. However you decide to sell it I'm sure that your coin will garner considerable interest. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting,
Blind Squirrel

Glad you had it graded. Well worth it!! Beautiful.
Capt Ron

Wow..that is really an awesome find... keeps us all going looking for that one little bit of excitement in the hole.

Wow Neil. It's nice to keep some special coins, but I'd sell that too and enjoy the money on some detector and other stuff.

Congrats and really incredible,
EMS

Damaged..... Yeah sure over 200 years old and lightly circulated is what it should say. How do they get damaged from the darkened toning? Maybe you should have removed some of the toning with lemon juice or something...:clsoedeyes:

This has got to be by far the best coin I have seen recovered with a metal detector.

mgtmadness said:
Nice coin.
What do they charge too grade coins?

A lot of the questions that were asked can be answered by clicking on the link under "Grading" here. http://www.ngccoin.com/index.aspx

I've personally only seen two other dug flowing hair half dimes since I started detecting in 1986. I have also held the only Higley copper that was proven to be dug. That was found by a friend and club member who search approximate 18 years for it by researching Higley and theareas he farmed.
I'd never sell that until I were to liquidate all my collectible holdings at an advanced age, in declining health. At least having it slabbed it becomes more of a liquid asset should you decide to do so.
A big fat congrats! Sure would like some of that karma to rub off this way. I'm happy for ya.

Ytcoinshooter said:
I've personally only seen two other dug flowing hair half dimes since I started detecting in 1986. I have also held the only Higley copper that was proven to be dug. That was found by a friend and club member who search approximate 18 years for it by researching Higley and theareas he farmed.
I'd never sell that until I were to liquidate all my collectible holdings at an advanced age, in declining health. At least having it slabbed it becomes more of a liquid asset should you decide to do so.
A big fat congrats! Sure would like some of that karma to rub off this way. I'm happy for ya.

Thanks, YT! Your friend's Higley find is impressive! I have been researching a similar coin, Mark Newby's St. Patrick Halfpenney. It was the first legal tender in the colonies, and it has been said it was once a common coin... even into the 1800's! I have disputed the popularity of the coin's use in the colonies, as I only know of ONE being dug, and that was more than 10 years back. Mark Newby brought hundreds of thousands to New Jersey in the 1680's. His estate was only a few miles from my home. If these coins ever made it into circulation I will find one!

Neil

Fantastic Find and the Grading from NGC too!

TC-NM

Niel, the St. Patrick half penny is another holy Grail. Good luck, I've been into early American numismatics for as long as I can remember. I'll elaborate on that higley saying my friend researched all the land holdings and leases Higley held. My
Quite a bit has remained farmland.