Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My coin/jewelry hunting method

Hi Jeff,
If you are interested in finding jewelry, in my experience, the majority of the gold rings I have found with my MXT, fall well below the nickel level. They can read as low as 2 to 4 on the VDI. I am by no means an expert, only having found about 13 gold rings, but there is a real possibility of passing up some really good and valuable targets if you starting discriminating at the nickel level. Just my 2 cents. HH
Bill

I will give it a try, and I will keep an eye out for those low numbers and see what happens. However, just about every ring I have found shows a reading in the dime range.

Thanks HH, Jeff

Hi again Jeff,
The rings that you have found, would they happen to be silver? I have about 20 silver rings and some other pieces of silver jewelry and all have read from a penny to a quarter, depending on the size. I would say VDI 60 to about 86. The highest reading I ever got for a gold ring read 22. I know gold can read higher than that though. I would say my average gold reading has been 6 to 14. I will tell you this if you decide to dig the low VDI's, you will get sick of foil. I have dug so much foil, that at times I was ready to give up on the gold and then low and behold, out pops a gold ring. There is nothing like the feeling of seeing gold. Good luck in your hunting.
Bill

Keep in mind that the "true reading on every pass" works only on medium to shallow targets. Targets that are on edge, deeper or with trash nearby will not give the "true reading". The VDI may vary by 20 numbers or more. Dig everything that is 4 inches deep or more and gives a good repeatable beep regardless of the VDI. Yes, I too have the 5 gallon buckets of trash, but you should see the "good" stuff that comes from the depths of Mother Earth. Dig the beep and don't rely so much on the VDI. I'll bet your deep good finds will increase many times over.

All the rings I have found have been silver. I am going to look at those low VDI numbers more closely, don't want miss the gold. I don't mind digging more trash, in order to find more goodies.
Thanks for the input, Jeff