Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My E-Trac gave me a SCARE

AVXVA

Nine days ago, I was out with my E-Trac about 1/2 mile from the truck when it started to sprinkle. I was next to some trees, and there being no thunder or lightning, I just stood under the trees for awhile waiting for the clouds to pass. And for maybe 10-minutes that worked great; the rain wasn't even hitting me or the machine and we were staying dry as could be. Then, it started to rain, and by rain, I mean RAIN, as in an old-fashioned toad strangler kind of rain.

Seeing the screen being hit by drops, I covered the control box with my equipment bag, pulled out the battery, and headed for the truck. I was soaked within 20-feet, drenched in 50-feet, and nearly drowned within a 100-feet--and I had a half mile to go. Anyway, when I got to the truck, I looked at the control box and although it wasn't wet, it did look damp. So I turned on the defroster and ran it over the box until I got home. I let the E-Trac dry in the house for 7-days. A couple of days ago, I charged the battery, but it in, and nothing. The E-Trac wouldn't turn on.

That's a scary thing to see.

I pulled out the battery and looked at the circular contacts. Both sides were corroded. Once cleaned with 000 steel wool, the E-Trac powered up just fine.

I'm thinking at a minimum I need to be carrying a big zip lock bag and a rubber band with me to cover the control box in a rain emergency.

Bronc

sure can't hurt and glad you got it going again

I always have a large trash bag tightly wadded up just in case of such an emergency. its just part of my gear that I take. im glad your machine is OK.

I pack a small garbage bag about the size for a small bathroom trash can and it folds up very small in a zipper compartment on my finds pouch. Have never needed this with my AT Pro but not going to risk letting my $1150 E Trac get wet!

"Good IDEA Bronc...to carry a Ziplock bag or such.
Years ago I was testing E Trac in the middle of a plowed field and the 'heavens' opened SO QUICK I just rested the ET on my buried spade and ran for the woods...
I just left it ON and made a dive for it!
The woods was scary stuff...like something outa 'Harry Potter' as the tree branches were swinging so violently in the wind it was almost they were trying to grab me!!
When it stopped I walked back to the machine which was still 'humming away' and to this day it still does!"

a gallon size ziploc and rubberband is what i carry with me, works like a charm! I have hunted for hours in rain using it! no harm at all

If I am going to go out in the wet I find a dustbin bag , take the metal stand and arm cup off ,put the dustbin bag over the whole length of the top stem then wind insulation tape round the whole length , plug in the headphones and put a cut bottom end of a plastic bottle over the end of the stem , then put the arm cup back on , control box cover back on then hit the field or beach.

When I detected in heavy rain in England I used Glad's Press N Seal wrap. I took off the arm cuff and wrapped the battery compartment section up. Then re-installed the arm cuff over the wrap without a problem. Not a drop of water got in. The wrap clings like glue and comes off easy. Great stuff!

Glad to see your machine came out ok :thumbup: