Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Equinox 800 rod mod

Hi all...

I decided to try out my Equinox on an old Fisher CZ70 S rod as a spare rod. I don't have any problem with the twist and the straight rod isn't that uncomfortable but I thought I'd put the CZ70 rod to good use especially useful for travelling. A few drill mods and this is the result. Note that the head unit fit perfectly to the upper rod. I did have to drill out the a hole for it to fit and drill out the lower shaft to fit the coil but other than that, an easy mod.

[attachment 361227 EquinoxCZ70mod1a.jpg]

[attachment 361228 EquinoxCZ70mod2a.jpg]

Looks rather sweet with the gold rod and can't wait to swing it this weekend. In time to check out the new update, too.

Wonder why I did this, eh? I like the S rod and the longest rod length is only 53-54cm so it will fit into carry-on luggage much easier than the Equinox 800 rod (longest piece is a lengthy 62cm...I only found one carry-on at the shops that it would barely fit where as the broken down CZ70 rod fits all of my carry-ons as well as several of my backpacks with plenty of room for accessories. I'll save that money for some waterproof headphones.:thumbup: ) I'll post a photo when I break it down to pack in my carry-on tho the balance of it might have me keeping it on for quite awhile.

btw....a note to Minelab....please better design your rods for travel. The lower shaft is 62cm on the EQ800 rod and this barely fits in very few carry-ons. I tried quite a few at my local luggage superstores and only 1 carry-on fit this longest rod comfortably without stretching the fabric too much (would not be good to tear when you are travelling or have to put the carry-on into the hold).

cheers....Keith

Great looking mod Keith.----How is the balance & the feel on the swing with the Fisher rod?-----Any "wiggle" in the lower shaft with this set up?

Balance appears to be pretty good but I'll need to get some time in the field to know for sure. There is definitely no wiggle in the lower shaft which is only about 49cm as compared to the EQs which is 62cm. I think the EQ problem is that the lower shaftt is proportionately too long compared to the other shafts and since it is plastic, it will always be an issue especially as the clamp connection wears with use.

The CZ70 rod is built to last and looks great to boot. It feels solid as and because of this, I have kept it aside since drowning the CZ70 to re-purpose and the EQ and the CZ70 rod seems to be a perfect pairing for me at least.

brissietex said:
Balance appears to be pretty good but I'll need to get some time in the field to know for sure. There is definitely no wiggle in the lower shaft which is only about 49cm as compared to the EQs which is 62cm. I think the EQ problem is that the lower shaftt is proportionately too long compared to the other shafts and since it is plastic, it will always be an issue especially as the clamp connection wears with use.

The CZ70 rod is built to last and looks great to boot. It feels solid as and because of this, I have kept it aside since drowning the CZ70 to re-purpose and the EQ and the CZ70 rod seems to be a perfect pairing for me at least.

Definitely looks good. I too am a fan of s-rods and modified my original Sovereign with a CZ70 rod (difference like night & day). I was thinking about doing the same thing with my Equinox, you beat me to it :thumbup:hand

Looking to hear what you think the swing/balance is like. I think the CZ70 rod is a little heavier (haven't weighed it) than the Equinox rod: but I would think, well worth the mod for the sturdiness, stability & portability.

HH

In their respective default setups, the CZ-70 weighed about 4lbs (1.8kg) and the Eq800 weighs in at about 3lbs (1.4kg). Coils and headsets both seem to be about the same weight so I think the weight difference is about around 1lb (500gms). Given that carry-ons are limited to 7kg on alot of the flights I take, a decent carry-on weighing around 2kg gives me a few kilos to load in some TSA acceptable stuff into my carry-on especially on long haul international flights..

I'll let you know how it handles on the first go this weekend. Looking at it now...I am definitely loving having the gold rod put back into action.

brissietex said:
Hi all...

I decided to try out my Equinox on an old Fisher CZ70 S rod as a spare rod. I don't have any problem with the twist and the straight rod isn't that uncomfortable but I thought I'd put the CZ70 rod to good use especially useful for travelling. A few drill mods and this is the result. Note that the head unit fit perfectly to the upper rod. I did have to drill out the a hole for it to fit and drill out the lower shaft to fit the coil but other than that, an easy mod.

Looks rather sweet with the gold rod and can't wait to swing it this weekend. In time to check out the new update, too.

Wonder why I did this, eh? I like the S rod and the longest rod length is only 53-54cm so it will fit into carry-on luggage much easier than the Equinox 800 rod (longest piece is a lengthy 62cm...I only found one carry-on at the shops that it would barely fit where as the broken down CZ70 rod fits all of my carry-ons as well as several of my backpacks with plenty of room for accessories. I'll save that money for some waterproof headphones.:thumbup: ) I'll post a photo when I break it down to pack in my carry-on tho the balance of it might have me keeping it on for quite awhile.

btw....a note to Minelab....please better design your rods for travel. The lower shaft is 62cm on the EQ800 rod and this barely fits in very few carry-ons. I tried quite a few at my local luggage superstores and only 1 carry-on fit this longest rod comfortably without stretching the fabric too much (would not be good to tear when you are travelling or have to put the carry-on into the hold).

cheers....Keith

Umm, nice, but i'll stick to stock.

Matt