Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My ET with the X-1 Running Through the Shaft

grumpyolman

EddieB asked for this and maybe somebody else would like to see it also. I thought ML did a nice thing running the coil wire down the inside of the tube instead of a bunch of twists, like on my Excal, around the shaft. When I put on the X-1 that option was gone...or was it. I did read somewhere on one of these forums where a guy cut a slot in his upper rod so you could route the coil cable through the upper and lower shaft as originally done and also have the X-1 on board. I decided to give it a shot. I have a picture of how the whole things looks and then a close up of the hole. The hole has to be 3/4" wide somewhere as the threaded lock ring is that diameter. I do have the probe coil attached at a different place than most. I use a Swingy Thingy so the extra weight out on the shaft doesn't bother me...but the convenience of having the probe.the X-1 switch, and the detector controls right by my side when digging far outweigh where the weight is attached. Might be that Sun Ray could do a much nicer job of making that slot and perhaps could offer it as a buyer option when ordering one. Regards...Jim

Hey Jim, Thanks for the pics. I do like the idea of the cable being back inside the shafts. In the pic, do you have the upper shaft all the way up in the upper shaft as far as it can go? Hey Jim, I'm sending you a pic of a sheath that I made for the X1 probe. It take the probe weight off of the detector. For us older gents we need all the help we can get. It is a 1" cpvc coupling with a piece of that velcro webbing that I glued and wrapped with electrical tape. I wear it on my pouch belt on the oppisite side of the pouch bag. The probe cable is plently long enough to allow you to freely swing the detector. Thanks EddieB

I don't change the coil that often when hunting a park, but when I get into a relic area, I may change the coil repeatedly depending on the amount of junk. That is where the cord on the outside of the lower rod is handy. 30 seconds and I have a new coil on a ready to go.

But your mod does give a nice clean look.

Ron

Good Day Jim, It was probably my post you are referring to, There does not seem to be any problems with the reliability of the shaft, I've had mine done for 2 years and use the coil to excavate the sand at the beach when looking for shallow coins. I don't have a problem with changing coils, I run a 15" WOT all the time, never take it off, so i have taped the hole and the coil wire up. I have been using a hipstick with the SE and now with the ET and have my probe mounted the same as yours, makes it easy to access. For those that are interested, the slot needs to be 3/4" wide x 1" long. 3" down from the switchbox to allow for connection of the coilwire. HH. Bob