Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My etrac is schizo...

jkline

Been using the beast for two years now... $155 in clad, 4 silver dimes and 1 silver quarter to my name. 4 of those I found this week. It's been a long slog using Andy S's program, but also experimenting with 'trashy park' and totally open. I prefer TTF, but do experiment with multi CO.

Today I was hunting in a spot after work I often frequent: I had a solid 10/12 46/47/48, from all directions... a zinc penny. I would have bet my soul it was silver. A short while later, I got a 1 32 hit and then it gave me an 8 36 from a perpendicular direction ... I almost passed it up-- was rewarded with a tarnished 1919 Merc.

I hear how people 'cherry pick'-- not sure how that works, as for my tiny hoard of silver, none rang up in the CO 40's. The quarter I found last week: 2 39. the soil: soft earth that is frequently watered and fertilized. I'm wondering if I should move on to the ctx, as I'm so tired of corroded pennies and my readings seem opposite of what they should be.

I guess my question is... is this normal, that zinc pennies can have a higher CO reading than silver dimes in the same soil?

Thanks,

j,

I've had that happen before, got a signal that had me expecting silver but dug a zincoln instead. This typically happens in ground that is often flooded or watered, often the zinc cents come out of the ground with a very reddish tint. Not sure what the chemistry involved is, but at these sites almost every zinc penny sounded good. Not much you can do... I know the XS does the same, may have to take my CTX, and NOX 800 to one of these areas and see if there is a difference. Doubt it.

So yes it can happen. I'll often cherry pick some sites, but as much for depth than silver/copper. Thirty years ago it was much easier to do so.

Chris(SoCenWI)

Thanks Chris. Cool, it isn't just me! Yes, this is ground that is frequently watered-- a school. I imagine it gets fertilized every year-- the Merc I found looks like it was barely in circulation, sadly it 1/2 of obverse/reverse surfaces have a brownish/greenish stain that appears to be permanent. This ground is hard on nickles too: found a few V nickles and a 1913 buffalo (the key date/type version) and the patina looks awful.

I regret now swinging my old Garret more often 20 years ago-- all I found was trash, so lost interest pretty fast. I guess I'm getting old: elk hunting and steelhead fishing have been my passions for 40 years-- the thrill of both for me is waning. Picking up a detector gives me some of that excitement that I haven't felt on the river in awhile. Just hate hate hate hate door knocking. That's my undoing. And it is a small town with quite a few guys that have pounded most places over the last 30 years.