Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first Barber dime in an unlikely place.

Ronstar

Jkline and myself decided to meet up and spend the morning still learning our new machines. After the you decide, no you decide game it was decided the soccer field near the Middle School and more specifically behind the Youth Center was our target for the day. We split up and occasionally I think we both would sneak a peek over a shoulder to see if the other was down on their knees or walking upright. No competition, just a leisurely day on the field. (Fisher vs Minelab).
Well for me 3:45 minutes went by with nothing more than $3 plus in tow. I was working a triangle type pattern from the edge of the soccer field line back towards where the portable bleachers sat. Honestly, I was getting a bit tired and figured once I finished this grid I would start the ol legs heading towards the truck. Not even five minutes later I hit a high dime signal so cut the plug and dropped down to check the hole.
Saw silver! Ok, most likely an Eisenhower but still maybe a Merc. Carefully used the end of my fingertip to swipe the dirt off and saw the figure on the front looking (to my) right and not left. Date visible, 1897. WHAT??? Not even thinking plucked it out and flipped it over, One Dime. JEFFFFFF!
He turned as I was half jogging towards him and once he looked confirmed it was a Barber!!! After the obligatory hight fives and handshakes we went back over and thoroughly swept an area surrounding but nothing more.
Have since learned there was an old homestead in that flat that most likely was torn down in the 40s or early 50s. Could it have been from there? The town was formed in 1887 so maybe, or did it come in with the fill dirt to establish the soccer fields back in the 60s early 70s? Good thing I belong to the local Historical Society because now curiosity has taken hold.
One more off the bucket list!! Its an 1897S in fairly good condition, soaking in water and Dawn soap so will use Red Book to roughly grade later.

Attachments

• 96BC48B6-2F95-4D93-AF97-F73D047BF89C.jpeg
    96BC48B6-2F95-4D93-AF97-F73D047BF89C.jpeg
    873 KB · Views: 119
  • 57447B50-00D0-4519-BD51-95FD90B4F9A3.jpeg
    57447B50-00D0-4519-BD51-95FD90B4F9A3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
Congrats, you never know with this hobby. WTG

Very nice find.... may never know how it got there, but who cares.... it was there... may be more there...at least now you know there is a possibility of older coins being there.

What a fun day! Ron literally got poked with the needle in the haystack!

I wonder if this area was an early dumpsite... large iron everywhere, in and under a concrete-like layer of clay and gravel 4" below topsoil. I found what might have been a model t u joint. Left it in the ground... wasn't going to carry that around all day.

That's all it takes to send us silver junkies into orbit, one nice shiny coin.
Really nice find Ronstar, sounds like on this day Fisher won.

congrats on a beauty !!

You just never know where the next super find is going to come from.

Hey Jeff, didnt think about it til now but last time I was there I dug a Schrader valve. Some type of a air check valve on tires. You might be on to something!!!!

Jkline and myself decided to meet up and spend the morning still learning our new machines. After the you decide, no you decide game it was decided the soccer field near the Middle School and more specifically behind the Youth Center was our target for the day. We split up and occasionally I think we both would sneak a peek over a shoulder to see if the other was down on their knees or walking upright. No competition, just a leisurely day on the field. (Fisher vs Minelab).
Well for me 3:45 minutes went by with nothing more than $3 plus in tow. I was working a triangle type pattern from the edge of the soccer field line back towards where the portable bleachers sat. Honestly, I was getting a bit tired and figured once I finished this grid I would start the ol legs heading towards the truck. Not even five minutes later I hit a high dime signal so cut the plug and dropped down to check the hole.
Saw silver! Ok, most likely an Eisenhower but still maybe a Merc. Carefully used the end of my fingertip to swipe the dirt off and saw the figure on the front looking (to my) right and not left. Date visible, 1897. WHAT??? Not even thinking plucked it out and flipped it over, One Dime. JEFFFFFF!
He turned as I was half jogging towards him and once he looked confirmed it was a Barber!!! After the obligatory hight fives and handshakes we went back over and thoroughly swept an area surrounding but nothing more.
Have since learned there was an old homestead in that flat that most likely was torn down in the 40s or early 50s. Could it have been from there? The town was formed in 1887 so maybe, or did it come in with the fill dirt to establish the soccer fields back in the 60s early 70s? Good thing I belong to the local Historical Society because now curiosity has taken hold.
One more off the bucket list!! Its an 1897S in fairly good condition, soaking in water and Dawn soap so will use Red Book to roughly grade later.

Congrats on the oldie--It is a great find ! May you be blessed to find many more --whiile on knees did you pray, oh Lord let this be a coin & a good one? Prayers do help! :angel: Ma Betty

You never know what the most "unlikely" place will show. Well done! The guy who lost it might have reached in his pocket, came up empty, and walked around looking for it. A dime was a big deal in those days.

Geezer story: When I was a very young kid (1939), I was walking down a sidewalk and found a nickel on the ground. It had a buffalo on it. I went to the corner soda counter and bought a hamburger with it. Dill pickle was free. All for 5c.

Cheers,

Joe

Lot of different possibility on this dime, if found where kids hang out at like the school one could have brought it to school to show others and then lost it. Some may have took it from their dad collection to buy something and lost it. Then there is the possibly that the dirt that was brought in come from a older area is why it is there. There maybe more if this dirt was brought in as fill when it was made into a soccer field. Every once in a while we see something like this and get us wondering the whole story how it got there.
Barber is always a great find as they are a beautiful coin if you can find one with the liberty strong you will have a great one. My first silver dollar came from a grassy area beside a new apartment building.
Hope you can prove there is more there by finding more.

Good luck Rick

Update: while cleaning the coins up (hot water and Dawn and an old toothbrush) I discovered one penny was a 1954 wheatie! I also dug a penny near the Barber that was encrusted in a blackish corrosion. I know its a copper penny because pre 83 show as high 60s digital in dime range. Now, because the Barber was there is there a possibility this thing might be an Indian? Anybody have any similar corrosion on copper? Not touching in case it is old ......

Forgot to post. 70s on right.....

Attachments

• 6019BC2D-0EA1-462A-9DFC-2E19B46407FB.jpeg
    6019BC2D-0EA1-462A-9DFC-2E19B46407FB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
Nice find an S mint to I had a park I hunted old park here in Ct big to well one hillside I could see was old and not disturbed well I pulled 4 barber dimes from one spot one was a key date O mint 600,000’minted so you never know .
Mark

Good going on the Barber dime. Always a fun find and having been detecting for approaching 50 years, I still remember my 1st one.

For some reason a Barber dime had alluded me for many years. I had found Seateds and even a couple of Cap Bust dimes,, but not a Barber. My 1st one, a 1904s (800,000 mintage) came from a old fairgrounds in the lake region of Mn. In fact, I found 2 back to back that evening. I gave it to my grandson, now 26 years old, but at the time wasn't yet of school age. And he still has it. Sorry to be carrying on, but your first one triggered a fond memory of my first one. Hope you get a bag full more. HH jim tn