Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first cache......

Roland58

Got a weak 12/04 signal on my CTX at the base of a large tree stump......the tree had been cut down a long time ago. I was back in the woods of a public park south of my town. The pinpoint showed 10" and it was every bit of that, maybe 12". These items were clumped together and there were small remnants of what looked like leather in the dirt around them, maybe a pouch or small purse. There is a small child's silver ring, two 1901 Indians and one 1902 Indian, a 1949 Rosie and 1935 Merc, a very nice 1930 Buffalo that washed off beautifully and what looks like a silver beaded child's bracelet. The beads are solid, however, I cannot find .925 on it anywhere.....it is heavy at 23.1 grams, almost an ounce! (0.815 oz.) The lobster claw clasps didn't come into play until the 50's, so, I figure it was a later placement or, maybe, loss.

I almost passed it up with the 12/04 signal, but, at that depth, I was curious. I'm still learning this machine, so, it is a dig it all scenario until I figure it out.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

Thats's a darn good haul there:thumbup:. Good job....!

Way to go! :clap:Keep digging those iffy signals! HH...

Sweet!

Man Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man!:clapping::surprised: Outstanding! You sure have dedicated yourself to this sport, you had this one coming!:please: Congrats buddy, real happy for you!:thumbup:
Mud

Good work. I bet that you will dig more signals like that again. I am happy tht you went after that signal. Nice job... KEN

Roland, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the clasp type on the bracelet suggests it is not sterling. Good find though!! Merry xmas!

It sure looks like silver...hit it with a magnet yet? Maybe look real close at that clasp again...seems to be some sort of barely visible stamp on the lobster claw?:shrug:
I would think if it was some sort of junk metal, it would have flaked or corroded by now...you could take it into the pawn shop and they will test it too...:thumbup:
Mud

Mudd, that bracelet is definitely not of the same period as the coins. It is surely not silver, I handle tons of jewelry and one gets to know certain things by style and event smell. Sounds crazy but true. It is probably less than 5 yrs old.

Sorry man..I meant nothing by that...I'm always hoping for the best!:rofl: Yeah I forgot about the smell test...that works too...I agree its not a period piece in the age of those coins...:please:
Mud

mcb613 said:
Roland, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the clasp type on the bracelet suggests it is not sterling. Good find though!! Merry xmas!

You are probably correct, however, how can you tell by the picture? I thought the same thing when I got it out of the ground, but, with a little research, I found that the lobster claw clasps have been used since the 50's. There is no evidence of corrosion and it came out of the hole clean. The (assumed) leather pouch was completely rotted away, just small, fragile remnants.
The beads are solid and the bracelet quite heavy. Maybe it was a more recent placement, although, I find that odd considering the area in which it was found.....in the middle of some woods away from any trails. There were a number of large iron artifacts, too large to carry out, that looked like parts off of large machinery of some sort.

Oh well, I will bow to your superior knowledge on the subject and add the bracelet to my "shiny things" bag. Maybe someday I will have someone test it.....I assume there is a test for silver?
One thing for sure, it was a fun find and silver or not, this one goes in the memory bank!!!

Great finds - congrats !

I don't know when they started stamping Silver but I read that they didn't start stamping - 10k, 12k, 18k, etc. on Gold jewelry till the very late 1800's or the very early 1900's.
So ... going by the dates on some of the coins you found - you might have a piece of older Sterling Silver that's not stamped ?
Maybe take it to a local Jeweler and see what he thinks.

Good Luck !

Yeah, I did clean them up with some soap and water and a very soft brush. I know, I know, that's not kosher, but, these weren't like 1909 SVBD's or anything like that. The nickel came out clean, I just rinsed it off......odd since the Rosie and the Merc were black and stayed black after a light cleaning. The little bracelet was clean out of the hole, as well. The Indians had a little green on them, but, it washed off easily and the little silver ring came out clean, no tarnish.

This coin cache is from the 1950's The coins and jewelry were removed from a residence in the leather pouch from someones keepsakes. The cache was buried by a tree so the person who placed it there would be able to return. The spread of dates indicates not pocket change but, keepsake. The 1949 merc tells you that your at least in the 1950s coupled with the lobster claw significants. Pretty amazing stuff, great find for you! How close is the nearest house? Good chance it could of come from that residence! George

Ok simple senerio based from the information you have given. I would say this was someone's keepsakes possibly removed from a local residence. The spread on the dates indicates not pocket change. The perpetrator buried the pouch next to the tree, to return later to obtain. The merc dime date and the lobster claw dates this burial time at no earlier than the 1950' I've pulled leather out of the ground in tacked from the 1800's. I am sure based on ground conditions the rotting of the leather pouch could have happened in fifty to sixty years. The leather I pulled was from a river bank and was kept in a continuousness state of moisture.This is a metal detectorists dream and based on your views a post that everyone wants to view. Congratulations on an amazing dig and recovery! George

The find came from a bicycle trail, actually, off the trails and back in the woods of a local park. The bicycle trails are not all that old, maybe 8 or 10 years. The property was donated to the city by a very wealthy land owner many moons ago. I understand his estate used to be on this land, however, I have yet to locate it......that's what I was doing when I hit this target. It was next to the stump of a large tree than had been cut down. I have a lead on where the house used to be and will be returning to do more looking. There were a lot of iron artifacts, most too large to remove.....like parts of old machinery.

I totally agree with the 50's frame of reference, in fact, the first thing I did was look up the first use of the "lobster claw", as I thought it was even of later usage. I'm still amazed at how clean the Buffalo and the bracelet came out of the ground compared to the Rosie and Merc........and the Indians for that matter. This is one of the fascinating things about MD'ng, trying to imagine the circumstances around how some items got in the ground and why. Of course, most are simple drops, but, like this one, some are obviously intentional.

Thank you for your input, gentlemen.

Yeah I often think of different scenarios that could of played out for certain finds. Do you agree this was a keepsake and not pocket change because of the spread in dates? Its always awesome when our finds clean up to look like they did in their early circulation! Enjoy your cache, I' ve found coin spills close to this amount of coins but never a cache. I probably will wait for our spring thaw now to get back out again! We are going to see single digits by Friday. Happy hunting, if you can get back out there enjoy! George