Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first Franklin half dollar!!

Ronstar

Jkline and I teamed up to detect a semi defunct Grange Hall out in the county this morning. Research showed this place was donated by one Grange to another in 1951. There had been an effort by a Boy Scout as an Eagle project to fix up the building and outhouse in the early 60’s. And holiday picnics, gatherings, and events in the 70-80s. Since been not used much.
We split up the basic area around the building and started swinging. Grass was high and the ground was bone dry. Started getting rusty bottle caps and barbed wire pieces but nothing much else. Around the building are a couple old picnic benches which probably would collapse if sat on. Tried to move the one I was at but too heavy for just one to move.
Stuck the coil under the table as best I could and hit several good high tones all in about a 15” diameter circle. Great, bottle cap heaven......pinpointer said 3” deep so reached in with Garrett handheld and verified 3-4” deep by intermittent beeping. Stuck shovel in thru between the top and the seat and dug best I could. Bang! Clad quarter, then another and another and then a couple clad dimes. A couple of copper pennies, all clads were late 60s and early 70s, pennies were early 80s. Finally after $1.22 in the hole I was feeling pretty lucky!
Started to fill hole but thought better sweep on more time, one loud and clear hit showing 93-94 25cent or silver on the F75! Showed it being 7” deep but handheld never sounded off when I was 3-4” down?
Dirt here was extremely dry but it wasnt real compact so shoved trowel down in and twisted to loosen the clods that were there. Reached in with my hand and scooped out the loose dirt and holy moly silver!
I could see the top of ol Ben’s head but not the date! Started to reach for it but brain kicked in and said call jkline over and get pics! Confirmed it was Franklin half dollar!!!! Picked it out and it was 1951D!!
After a bit we decided to move the table and search a second time, I let jkline go at it with his CTX3030 and he hit a quarter signal right where the table leg had been, out came a clad 60s quarter! Then another and one more!!! So total was 7 quarters, 3 dimes, and two pennies.
No idea how long that table has been sitting there but we were told someone else had detected the area before, we did not find but one or two other clads so someone just didnt push getting under the table.

It was jkline’s turn to drive, he bought the coffee and maple bar, and I got all the money. I’d say it was a stellar day for one of us!!!!!!!

Attachments

• F7ED1824-3577-444D-9506-7078CDAEA580.jpeg
    F7ED1824-3577-444D-9506-7078CDAEA580.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 168
  • 4FBCF70E-2113-42C9-841E-840334BB55CD.jpeg
    4FBCF70E-2113-42C9-841E-840334BB55CD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 182
  • 1B7EF047-E2DF-4A7D-8EF0-A4CD77EA2FBA.jpeg
    1B7EF047-E2DF-4A7D-8EF0-A4CD77EA2FBA.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 190
  • 26AD8389-E93D-406A-8CF4-F5FDD35BCD9F.jpeg
    26AD8389-E93D-406A-8CF4-F5FDD35BCD9F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 154
Its a 7.5 acre lot. The building is basically on top of the knob and there are two small grassy lanes leading up to that. Otherwise there are two gravel county roads on two sides and a state highway on the third. Once ground gets wet again I am thinking the lanes should be checked, not sure where they parked cars unless it was considered a one way driveway and they simply parked as is....

Jkline and I teamed up to detect a semi defunct Grange Hall out in the county this morning. Research showed this place was donated by one Grange to another in 1951. There had been an effort by a Boy Scout as an Eagle project to fix up the building and outhouse in the early 60’s. And holiday picnics, gatherings, and events in the 70-80s. Since been not used much.
We split up the basic area around the building and started swinging. Grass was high and the ground was bone dry. Started getting rusty bottle caps and barbed wire pieces but nothing much else. Around the building are a couple old picnic benches which probably would collapse if sat on. Tried to move the one I was at but too heavy for just one to move.
Stuck the coil under the table as best I could and hit several good high tones all in about a 15” diameter circle. Great, bottle cap heaven......pinpointer said 3” deep so reached in with Garrett handheld and verified 3-4” deep by intermittent beeping. Stuck shovel in thru between the top and the seat and dug best I could. Bang! Clad quarter, then another and another and then a couple clad dimes. A couple of copper pennies, all clads were late 60s and early 70s, pennies were early 80s. Finally after $1.22 in the hole I was feeling pretty lucky!
Started to fill hole but thought better sweep on more time, one loud and clear hit showing 93-94 25cent or silver on the F75! Showed it being 7” deep but handheld never sounded off when I was 3-4” down?
Dirt here was extremely dry but it wasnt real compact so shoved trowel down in and twisted to loosen the clods that were there. Reached in with my hand and scooped out the loose dirt and holy moly silver!
I could see the top of ol Ben’s head but not the date! Started to reach for it but brain kicked in and said call jkline over and get pics! Confirmed it was Franklin half dollar!!!! Picked it out and it was 1951D!!
After a bit we decided to move the table and search a second time, I let jkline go at it with his CTX3030 and he hit a quarter signal right where the table leg had been, out came a clad 60s quarter! Then another and one more!!! So total was 7 quarters, 3 dimes, and two pennies.
No idea how long that table has been sitting there but we were told someone else had detected the area before, we did not find but one or two other clads so someone just didnt push getting under the table.

It was jkline’s turn to drive, he bought the coffee and maple bar, and I got all the money. I’d say it was a stellar day for one of us!!!!!!!
GREAT JOB
CARVER

Nice piece of big silver.. they are rare finds where I detect.. only found one in 14 years.
Looks like a great site and very scenic too!!
That picnic table was a coin magnet for sure for you.. amazing the other other person did not detect around it.
I have found lots of coins under picnic tables over the years.

Last edited:
Nice!
Fishers like big silver...this proves it.

We can barely wait to get back to this spot. No way one big silver is there by itself and I doubt the other guy found it all but Ben. Heading to the Hysterical Society to see if there are any old pics in the files!!!!

too bad the vegetation is so high. I feel you are right. No way is there only one shiny piece of silver...there’s more waiting for you. Good luck in your treasure hunt !

We can barely wait to get back to this spot. No way one big silver is there by itself and I doubt the other guy found it all but Ben. Heading to the Hysterical Society to see if there are any old pics in the files!!!!

Its a 7.5 acre lot. The building is basically on top of the knob and there are two small grassy lanes leading up to that. Otherwise there are two gravel county roads on two sides and a state highway on the third. Once ground gets wet again I am thinking the lanes should be checked, not sure where they parked cars unless it was considered a one way driveway and they simply parked as is....

This is a most promising site...Best of Luck on future hunts.

Nice piece of big silver.. they are rare finds where I detect.. only found one in 14 years.
Looks like a great site and very scenic too!!
That picnic table was a coin magnet for sure for you.. amazing the other other person did not detect around it.
I have found lots of coins under picnic tables over the years.

Could have been a lady like me or a teenager who couldn't move the table by themselves or get under it by crawling; so just detected around it & went on! Crawl spaces weren't my cup of tea or favorite places to detect getting up & down was a big issue for me! Congrats to those who can & do to dig those harder to find goodies! Ma Betty

Could have been a lady like me or a teenager who couldn't move the table by themselves or get under it by crawling; so just detected around it & went on! Crawl spaces weren't my cup of tea or favorite places to detect getting up & down was a big issue for me! Congrats to those who can & do to dig those harder to find goodies! Ma Betty

Good point!!!!
I usually don’t move them either, but just try to reach around under it the best I can.
Figure if I do not find any coins at all, someone else beat me to it.

Not yet, but when I do, I will take a selfie and send it to you. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :rofl:

Good point!!!!
I usually don’t move them either, but just try to reach around under it the best I can.
Figure if I do not find any coins at all, someone else beat me to it.