Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first good beach find!

Place not open on Monday so tomorrow. We got to looking at this after I cleaned up the pendant more, there is a very small diamond mounted in it (probably fake). We think the pendant is some type of cast metal so hoping the gold color is gold but applied. Still chewing fingernails….😂

Attachments

• 8230C9B7-D71E-4B40-B0EB-AC1739F535F9.jpeg
    8230C9B7-D71E-4B40-B0EB-AC1739F535F9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • D7DC7CB4-AC8F-4344-AFCC-16B45D67CE87.jpeg
    D7DC7CB4-AC8F-4344-AFCC-16B45D67CE87.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
Went in to check on the prize today. The young man behind the counter told me he had done the acid test this morning and it was gold, so thats good news. But, he was unable to get an exact karat reading. The owner is out for a few days so no one there “qualified” to test further for now. Meanwhile the consensus within the employees was that they believe this may be a low assay grade Alaskan nugget which is popular with home jewelry makers. There are no marking on the piece itself so leads them to think homemade from scrap or kits. There is also a mini diamond sunk in one of the cavities that tested negative.

I asked him what he meant about exact karat reading. He said both 10and 14 were negative which indicates to him possibly 9 or 12k. The owner has the proper acids and knowledge to provide me with and exact ID. If he thinks its not real, their policy is no charge. So I either pay $7.50 for knowledge or nothing for nothing.

Stay tuned……….

Beaches are stuff because of the salt. Multifrequency detectors like the Nox works on the beach. The manual is correct though lower sensitivity works better than over driving the detector. I used the have an MX Sport and would have to go as low as 3-4 in the surf, even in beach mode. One way to set the sensitivity is to increase it until the detector starts to give false tones then back it down a couple of numbers. Look for shells piled up or cuts in the sand also. Way to go on a great save!

Just got the call from the gem/mineral/ jewelry store. Nugget was acid tested from 8 thru 24k and tested negative. Therefore it is pure gold. There was a very small diamond looking stone set in it as well, not a diamond but either a white topaz or a white sapphire.
He cleaned it up and it looks a whole lot different than when I found it!!!! Next step is to determine assay (if thats correct terminology) so will post as that comes to be.

Attachments

• C4ECB22B-DD95-4820-BDF2-3AF93585B7BB.jpeg
    C4ECB22B-DD95-4820-BDF2-3AF93585B7BB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
Last update: Actually spoke with the owner of the store about the nugget. It is NOT a real nugget, rather it is a cast with gold applied. The actual specific acid tests were 10 and 18 and its his professional opinion its above 18 k. He does not have the instruments to accurately test for specific karat or assay. The stone tested negative for diamond, thus most likely white sapphire or white topaz. It was expertly placed and secured into the cast.
I told him what his employee had told me and his response was simply the guy does not know what was done and should not have answered any direct questions. Owner said he would pay $50 for it I offered to sell. No deal.