Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first hunt with my new White's 6000 XL Pro.................

Kelley (Texas)

Yesterday, I decided to test my new White's XL Pro. I called a friend and asked him if I could hunt an old swimming hole on his ranch. I found out about this location many years ago when we were pushing some cows across a creek just prior to some heavy rain that was headed our way. This was a favorite swimming spot back in the 1940's and early 1950's until his Uncle forbiddened any more swimming there because of a drowning. This is the result of almost four hours of metal detecting. There were no clad coins or pull tabs at this site, but there were bottle caps. None of the coins were more than five inches deep which disappointed me because I was hoping to see if the depth of detection was greater than my Bandido II uMax. One unusual find was a wheat penny that appeared to have been shot with a .22 cal. bullet.

I did notice that the XL Pro seemed to be slower in providing audio upon detection of a target when compared against my Bandido II uMax. The weight of the XL Pro did not bother me, but this is probably because it is well balanced. I must say that I am satisfied with the XL Pro and look forward to many years of using it. In the near future, I will test it again at the site of a beer tavern that burned down around 1900 to 1902. Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 15155 DSC00370.JPG]

Great finds Kelly! The more you use the XL Pro the more your going to like it. Once you learn the little secrets of using the analog meter when searching for deep coins or working in iron it will be hard to put down.

Hi Kelley (Texas),

Only been using my XL Pro since the first of the year. Been out with it 7 times so far. Really like it. The ID is usually dead on.

Most of the sites I work have LOTS of pull tabs and other trash so I have usually used the 6 1/2" coil. All of my finds with the small coil have been at 5" or less.

At one site with less trash I used the 950 coil and got an iffy audio signal. I swept faster over it and got a quarter lock. The pinpoint indicated the target was at 8". Sure enough, it was a quarter (1965) at 8". I then realized that I had not fine tuned the Signal Balance. After fine tuning, I put the quarter back in the hole and got a quarter lock the first time over it moving slower. I think fine tuning and a fairly fast sweep speed gets depth with this detector.

Happy Hunting
Hunt4Fun

Once you get used to the XL Pro, and master getting the Signal Balance aset as high as possible, you'll get stronger, deeper hits and you'll be able to sweep slower.

It's a 4-filter type unit and the "ring time" is going to be longer. It takes a faster sweep and the audio doesn'r reset as quick as does your Bandido II

Hi again Kelley (Texas),

Those look like great finds to me. Nice cross, what is it made of?

Must be wonderful to hunt a sit without pull tabs, but those rusty bottle caps are a pain. By the way, Monte has a method of IDing bottle caps before digging.

Embarrassing to admit, but I have not found a silver coin yet. You took almost 4 hours to gather your finds. I would be happy to spend 8 hours to gather a similar group of finds. In fact I would be happy with one silver coin in 8 hours. Is my envy showing?

Congratulations!!
Hunt4Fun

Silver coins are becoming very difficult to find in city parks and schools...that is why folks are flocking to buy metal detectors that are deep seeking. They are trying to find silver coins that have been missed by detectors without the deep seeking ability.

You must use your imagination and seek out places that are virgin to the metal detector...takes some work, but it will pay off in the long run.

One of the best sites will be old swimming pools and swimming holes. They will not only harbor silver coins, but many rings too. Every city will have old abandoned swimming pools, try to research old maps or newspaper articles that mention them.

Watch for old houses being bull dozed down to make room for some type of development...especially old houses out in the county. Look around the mail box and driveway areas.

If you metal detect an old park or school, try any area that has a hill or slope to it. Around the trees are good too.

Many old churches will have an history of an annual picnic...do some research.

I am an ex-rancher and as such, have access to good sites to metal detect. Some of the sites have been good, but many have not given up any good coins or other relics...you just play the odds. What is important is that you have fun metal detecting...just accept what will be will be.

You say that you have not found any silver coins yet? Well, guess what, each day that you do not find silver coins is just one day closer to finding some. Trust me, you will eventually start finding them as you gain experience.

Please have fun, the day will come when you will be posting a picture of some silver coins. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

metal detector...I do like it. Reflecting back, these metal detectors have come a long ways since I first started in this hobby with a Garrett Master Hunter BFO. I must say, I really like the XL Pro and wish that I had bought one sooner. Kelley (Texas) :)

on your web site has been much appreciated. The unselfish acts of helping others, like what you are doing on your web site, is what makes this hobby enjoyable. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Go to www.firstontop.com click on the XL PRO and you will find Silver.
the XL PRO is one Silver Detector.I love the beast.
I sold my DFX detector.
The XL PRO is still one of the best unit around for silver:clapping:.

Hi clondike clad,

Have been to your site. Great information. Thanks for putting it together and sharing it.

Am learning. Found $7.22 at a school today. Oldest was a '57D wheat, but it was all fun.

Thanks again
Hunt4Fun

Pick up a Super Magnet [will pick up 150 lbs]from Harbor Freight-only cost about $4. It will help on picking up surface iron nails and caps, and will really get the small iron trash that you dig that is so small you have trouble finding it, especially around places that have burned down..

Hey Tex, looks like some great possibilities at this site. To your knowledge, has it ever been worked before? As trash free as this site is...did you try pumping it up a little and go in the all metal mode? There might be another layer of goodies deeeeep. Some hip waders might be a good idea.:thumbup:

located on a ranch off the beaten path...you have to drive about a mile into the ranch. There is only about five or six inches of top soil before you start hitting lime stone. I see no advantage to using the all metal GEB/NORM mode at this site.

I do lots of research prior to hunting some of these ranch sites and just happened to luck out at this site. There are a few camp sites and a water crossing that I want to search first chance that I get. I might add that it helps when you know the folks that own the ranch.

Many folks that buy a metal detector are initially limited to city parks and schools due to lack of experience. After a period of time, they get discouraged and the metal detector ends up in a closet or sold. While it may be becoming more difficult to find good things at those sites, they are excellent "training" sites at which to learn how to operate your metal detector. It is very important that they maintain a positive attitude and not get discouraged. Sooner or later, as they gain experience, they will learn to research the area within a few miles of their homes and their good "finds" will increase. One of the best sources of locating old sites is just talking to some old folks...they will offer you some good leads. Kelley (Texas) :)

For sure, research pays Tex, I have come up with a few ideas myself. On days when my testicles are larger than my brain (that's most days), I go to the absolute meanest side of town in the city. Most white men wouldn't spend ten seconds there in full body armour. You know that rush that you get when you see old silver in the bottom of a hole? Well....you get twice that just getting out of your truck. Those old parks and schools in areas like this never get worked and for good reason. Believe it or not....I actually made it out of there with my life, detector, clothes, wallet and a sack full of coins. My truck even had the wheels on it. I guess nobody had a jack or a gun that day. I do not recommend this to others but it just goes to show what extreme some will go to for virgin ground and a adrenalin rush.:wacko:

that does the same thing. He goes to some "rough" areas to metal detect some of the old parks. He never goes alone, usually goes with several friends...they find some good things. Kelley (Texas) :)