Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first hunt with the CTX

GpSnoopy

My CTX 3030 arrived Monday so I rushed home and took it back to work where I charged the batteries and put her together between meetings and calls.

BTW; Kudos to my dealer, who is a sponsor on a Canadian Forum I'm a member of. He kept me in the loop as to availability and delivery of the CTX, and as a bonus, enclosed a Spiral Bound Printed manual which he himself made up as it is supplied only on the CD from Minelab.

My first impressions putting it together is that it is a well built machine, solid, and though it seemed heavy holding it by its shaft, once you hold it properly, it is indeed a well balance detector.

I zipped home after work and quickly loaded my first mode, fairly open pattern with only the bottom 34&35 FE lines blocked out from 1-25 CO. I ran Combined Audio, Auto Sens +3, Fast on, Deep off, Target Trace (Ground-Coin) and Target Trace Pinpoint, set to Sizing. I hooked my Rats to the Wireless Headphone module and set off to a nearby school grounds for a couple of hours of testing. There are no old coins or silver there.

I have never before used a Minelab Explorer or E-trac and will admit to being a little bit overwhelmed with all the musical tones and display information being thrown at me. I've hunted this particular spot often with my MXT but it is nowhere near cleaned out and produces a lot of clad from the 70's and up. By the end of 2 hours, I had picked up 54 coins, 2 buttons, nailclipper, hotwheels car, 2 junk rings, and other assorted bits. Also by the end, I was beginning to figure out where some targets were ID'ing, like pennies 12-43/44. I dug hardly any bottlecaps though, which was nice as there are 3 baseball diamonds here and littered with bottlecaps which my MXT loves. The only ones I dug were strange signals, 01-25 to 35, and all of them were fairly new and all were crown down in the ground.

Well balanced
Easy Menu Navigation
WM-10 Wireless module and being able to use my favorite Rats headphones. (no more pulling the cord)
Very, very easy to pinpoint. Pinpoint sizing helps immensely by giving you a narrow signal on coin sized objects
Lots of information on the screen (once I get to know it better) Target trace helped a couple of times zeroing in on a coin that was next to a probable iron target.
Minimal interference with my ProPointer, mostly just a flutter in the threshold.
Ability to adjust tones to match my hearing.

Dislikes: Nothing major yet, still learning the beast.

Pinpoint button is a little high up on the grip for my liking. A bit awkward to keep it squeezed down.

Learning Curve: Think it'll be a couple dozen hours till I get the hang of it all. I only dug one steelcore Canadian coin and still not certain how to tell them apart from all the other iron signals I was getting. I dug a few of them up, but they were the typical rusty screw, a nut, washer, etc. Also, there was probably double the amount of iron signals as compared to when I use the MXt, but many of them were showing 8-12 inches, so perhaps the CTX is more sensitive to small bits, or there is a lot of iron loaded soil deeper down than I imagined that the MXT didn't see. I easily learned where nickels, pennies, pulltabs, and foil registered so its just a matter of time until I get the hang of the other targets.

All in all, I'm happy and impressed with the CTX.

Sorry for the poor picture, was taken indoors with just a flash.

[attachment 234729 06041220Parkside.jpg]

Great job Snoopy!
With results like that you will be a pro in no time.
From what I have heard, ML will be posting a Canadian Coin program for download to deal with the crappy steel slugs we use as money these days.
Can't wait for that.
HH
MM

A picture is worth a thousand words and is certainly worthy of bragging rights in my book! Good job on the hunt and info on the CTX.

Good stuff! For never having used the Explorer or E-TRAC, looks to me like you caught on very quickly. I'd hate to be a coin hiding in your neighborhood! HH Randy

2nd hunt with the CTX. I went out for an hour inbetween rain showers tonight. Nice not having to worry about putting the detector down on wet ground and grass. Also not having to worry about a light shower or 2. I had the WM-10 module tucked away in an inside jacket pocket to keep it dry.

Made 2 little changes. Decreased sensitivity from Auto +3 down to 0 and that quietened down all the deep Iron signals I was getting. The Sens still was averaging 23-26, so thinking my ground is pretty mild, switched Separation from Ground-Coin to Ferrous-Coin. I noticed the target sounds seemed to be more distinct after that. Spent the rest of the hour with a very stable, quiet detector. Ended up with another 27 assorted coins, 1 button, and a small charm bead. And only 7 pieces of trash!!!!!! The only strange signal I had was an iron one, 30-40 that wrap around to 4-40 occassionaly. I thought it might be one of our Steelcore clad coins, but instead dug up a 1973 mountie quarter (99.9% nickel composition), 6" deep ??????

Successful hunt in my books and am learning something new everytime I use the CTX.

Cheers,

Ralph (Alberta)