Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first Minelab detector

JEF

troll
I just purchased a new Minelab Equinox 800. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. This will be my first ever Minelab detector. I just had to try one to see if it is as good as some people say it is. I hope that it is. I am still keeping my MXT Pro and my Tesoros. I will never part with them. I have been reading the equinox manual and watching some videos about it, and it seems like it is pretty simple to operate.

Good luck with it. My 1st Minelab was a Safari. Only had 2 other detectors before the Safari. After using the Safari I would
never buy anything but Minelab. Currently have the Nox 800 & my good finds have gone up, finding alot more silver, Going over old hunting grounds
finding stuff the others missed. The Safari is a great machine, but the recovery speed of the Nox is where it beats out the Safari.
recently pulled 4 nails from a hole before finding the wheat cent that the Nox said was in there, that impressed me

Hi Welcome JEF I had a few minelabs and a Deus all gone now I only have the 800 and I've done very well with it!
It's a great detector not perfect but no detector is but with the two gold rings I found within a week of each other this month I'm very happy..

Great choice JEF! With wireless, fast recovery, and light weight ETC... you should be in for a good time. It hunt really well out of the box so I wouldn't get to carried away with settings at first.
Best of luck
HH Jeff

Jeff, the Equinox is a high gain detector and uses multi frequencies as you already know. Or you can switch to a single frequency.
It will find coins on edge or standing straight up that other detectors have missed.
You need to swing a little slower even though you can increase the recovery speed but that’s a personal choice.
The manual is good and I copied some pages to take into the field to help me learn certain things.
Some folks download it to their phones to use as a reference.
It goes deep so be prepared to believe it. Use a pinpointer and if it sounds good and the TID is close or good keep digging.

Tony N.J.

ust recently bought one myself,although i do have many other detector of different brands,one of my buying criteria's is that anything including detector must be out for a 12 month period minimum mainly to see if any major design flaws or other issues appear,so after this period i went ahead and purchased one,including the full selection of coils ie 6'',stock and the 15'' coil,thus far have not regretted it.

My main attraction was the detector is light as i do have problems with my swinging arm after a couple of accidents from the 70s and 80s,also it being a multi freq machine but with that 6'' coil i feel could be a deadly combination on some of my roman/saxon sites which can be either trashy,high mineral content or both,so hence the interest in the small 6'' coil,and although most of my detecting permission/s are still in crop it will be used almost exclusively ongoing which includes stubble busting.

The option of using the large 15'' coil in 5khz mode on pasture sites is also very appealing,so the Equinox does tick alot of my detecting criteria.

I too had several MXT and Tesoro units. IMO the MXT is whites best go getter hands down. Now I know the V3i and Vx3 are good if you want to take the time to figure one out. However, the best thing IMO about the equinox is how light weight it is. I have the 600. It does great and you can swing it all day long. I find I have the best luck in Field 1 setting using single frequency 10khz with recovery of 3 which would be 6 on your 800. It will pick non ferrous out of high iron very good and also it will not false as much on iron halos using the single frequency as it does in multi frequency in my experience. It is fairly easy to set up and I believe you will find yourself using it more than the others you have. I like mine. Good luck!!

I plan on getting the 6” coil later on, but I probably will never get the 15” coil. The detector just arrived a little while ago and I am charging it up now.