Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first, real hunt with CTX

Today, thanks to unseasonably warm weather, for the first time, I took the CTX for a real hunt. Just over an hour short hunt but, steel, a real one - for the first time, I was swinging CTX to find stuff.
I'd say that I'm happy. I'm convinced that with my old detector, I would be hung up on iron. As it was, I could easily tell and avoid most of the junk. I got fooled by one steel, rusty, round hose clamp. I also dug out, (more out of morbid curiosity than anything else) a rusty bottle cap that was showing scattered on the target trace so, I knew it's not a really good target.
One pull tab and couple aluminium bottle caps did sound nice and in the possible silver range. Not to bad (for me) and I know that no machine is perfect and I'm even less perfect. Still, the key was the ratio of junk vs. good targets. For the very first time, I was digging more good stuff than bad and that really made my day. The old machine frustrated me so often. So many times I was giving up on an area because I was overwhelmed with junk and good signals just would not come through the iron. Same area. Same man. Different machine and suddenly, within the junk, I could hear and see on the screen good returns even that CTX is still very new to me. Within an hour, I got rewarded with few coins including 1919 silver, several old shells and miscellaneous copper and brass junk. Now, I can sleep well knowing that CTX was money well spent - it elevated my hunting to the next, much more enjoyable level.

Crow bar, the CTX is nothing more than an expensive crow bar Andrew. :beers:

Andrew:

Lay some good advice on a nooby with the CTX. I have never used a minelab before. My CTX will be here Wednesday. I have been detecting for
about 2.5 years. Rarely find silver in my area. (So. Cal Desert) What area of the country are you in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Was out today with the AT Pro, got $8 in clad and a few old dog tags and various junk.

1919 thats a nice find. Are you hitting a lot of clad and junk also?

I find that I dig some junk targets out of the same morbid curiosity as you said. I have been great with mine so far.

Great story... Now get started on some videos... :)

G..

sparkster said:
Andrew:

Lay some good advice on a nooby with the CTX. I have never used a minelab before. My CTX will be here Wednesday. I have been detecting for
about 2.5 years. Rarely find silver in my area. (So. Cal Desert) What area of the country are you in?

Was out today with the AT Pro, got $8 in clad and a few old dog tags and various junk.

I'll let you in a a big secret. Hardly anybody ever talks about it but... no matter what detector you use, you can not find what is not there...
OK, joking aside. I'm in Ontario, Canada. I did enough map and historical research to find places people were going to (and obviously sometimes loosing stuff) for 100+ years BUT you don't need 100+ years to find silver coins. Any "people place" (a park / swimming hole / picnic area) that has been in use since before time our governments stopped to mint circulation coins out of silver may be a productive area. Ask elders, where did they go for a Sunday picnic? Where was a lovers lane? Even in a desert, there must be places which in some time in history were people magnets. Looks for a place like that and swing your coil there.
Yes, I'm hitting clad and junk. Clad, I don't mind. Junk, looks like CTX is helping to skip over lots of it but, no machine is perfect. If you are looking for silver, you will be digging some aluminium as well.

Guvner said:
Great story... Now get started on some videos... :)

G..

Thanks Guvner. I was actually going to start and than realized that the one I'm planning to make first will be showing some co-ordinates and I didn't want to disclose that spot so, when unexpectedly the snow melted away and weather became detectable for a day, my dilemma was: was I to spend time making video or, to see if I really can make the CTX sing in a place where other machine could only whine.... I just had to hear the song. The upside; now I know geohunt/ findpoint / waypoint routine very well.

Andrew.. I know you'll get one off to us... I have high hopes.. Can't believe it took this long to get you detecting... :D

G..

sparkster said:
Andrew:

Mine will be here too on Weds. but I didn't take my AT Pro out this year yet..So excited!