Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first real success story with the etrac!!

ot1138

Hey guys,

I'd like to thank those of you who gave me tips in a prior thread about using my new etrac. I was practicing with it today while making a test garden. I went into all metals mode and followed the old advice, "dig everything". In a 10x20 space, I pulled up over 30 nails so far... and based on the signals I'm getting, I think there's at least that many more in there. Mind you, this is after digging and pulling up every good signal with an Ace 350.

Anyway, an interesting thing happened. While scanning, I picked up the usual 35-50 signal (rusty nail). However, in the middle of it was a 12-42. It appeared briefly then switched back to a 35-50. So I dug it. I found two nails a few inches apart. Scanned again and then got a solid 12-42. Dug it up and boom! 1945 wheatie, 6" down and just a few feet from my side door.

Now what's neat is that my house was built just five years ago. The previous house was built in the late 50s. Before that, it was farmland. When they built my house, they dumped construction debris everywhere and just covered it up with dirt (I have nails every few inches in my land). So this was a real impressive find.

Just wanted to say thanks... clearly the etrac is a damn impressive machine.

ot1138 said:
Just wanted to say thanks... clearly the etrac is a damn impressive machine.

Congrats and VERY true statement!

I have dug many coins that would just give me a glimpse of a coin and be overshadowed by iron. Usually when I get the iron out of the hole the coin my ETrac told me was there is in the hole.

A great lesson as to why you should always rescan your hole was taught to me by Andy when I first go my ETrac from him. We were hunting in an older small town nearby (he found a 1721 colonial copper nearby) and I was still learning my ETrac. I dug a hole near a sidewalk, pulled out a rusty nail, and fussed about the iron. I covered the hole and moved on. He came right behind me, swept the hole, and asked me if I had gotten everything. I went back and got a crystal clear signal that turned out to be a Franklin half dollar (my first ever Franklin).

Now I don't ever forget to rescan my hole before I move, especially if I just dug trash where I thought there was a coin.

My first (and only) Indian was dug right after I got my ETrac. Andy and I were marking signals for each ofther to check, and he said he wouldn't have dug the signal I marked (this was in a yard in use since 1170's where he got a Capped Bust half dime), but evidently I got over it at the right angle. He dug it for me and 3 square nails came out of the hole and 8" deep was an 1884 Indian. Another example of the ETrac seeing through the iron.

The ETrac normally doesn't lie about a coin in the hole unless you are trying to make it into something because you are having a bad day with no finds. Normally I dig the most trash when I am not finding anything and try to "make something" out of the halo on a piece of iron.

Happy hunting and enjoy your ETrac. You will never regret buying it.