Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My First Silver Thimble!

Explorer.se

Wow I can check off a bucket lister. Now I just need to find a skeleton key. I was very happy to find this. It has the number 2 on the side and the word Sterling. I also found this coin/Token? Its hard to make out anything except a few numbers on the bottom 378 or 878. I do not know if it is silver. Could it have been burned in a house fire? And the other item is it part of a harmonica reed? The house was built in 1910. Thanks for looking. Also there are two holes drilled on the top.

Attachments

• IMG_679165341.JPG
    IMG_679165341.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_679165451.JPG
    IMG_679165451.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_679165473.JPG
    IMG_679165473.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_679165423.JPG
    IMG_679165423.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
Numbers on the bottom strike me as probably a phone number so maybe an advertising token. Silver thimble is a really nice find, on my list as well (so far three metal ones but no shining crown).

Forgot to add... the style of the 7 in particular seems like it might match the 7s on Spanish silver of that era. Finding holed coins from that era is not uncommon, too, - I've found a 1780 1 real that is holed. Don't know where you are, but Spanish silver (often from Mexico City mint) was used in the original 13 colonies/eastern seaboard from 1700's through War of 1812 (and probably even up through early 1830's or so depending on the local supply of US-minted silver coins, maybe even later). I'm sure that range also extended to former Spanish/Mexican colonies/territories near Mexico like TX, FL & CA, and probably some made it westward from the east into early settler sites in the Midwest. Possibility of a house or log cabin on the site that predated the 1910 house?? If this coin is as thin as it appears to be, then that probably fits the specs of a 1/2 or maybe 1 real coin that has been well-worn. As for fire damage, I'm not knowledgeable, but definitely looks like it to me.

Forgot to add... the style of the 7 in particular seems like it might match the 7s on Spanish silver of that era. Finding holed coins from that era is not uncommon, too, - I've found a 1780 1 real that is holed. Don't know where you are, but Spanish silver (often from Mexico City mint) was used in the original 13 colonies/eastern seaboard from 1700's through War of 1812 (and probably even up through early 1830's or so depending on the local supply of US-minted silver coins, maybe even later). I'm sure that range also extended to former Spanish/Mexican colonies/territories near Mexico like TX, FL & CA, and probably some made it westward from the east into early settler sites in the Midwest. Possibility of a house or log cabin on the site that predated the 1910 house?? If this coin is as thin as it appears to be, then that probably fits the specs of a 1/2 or maybe 1 real coin that has been well-worn. As for fire damage, I'm not knowledgeable, but definitely looks like it to me.
Thanks Findinghistory I will check tonight and let you know the thickness. I appreciate it. I would be ecstatic as it would be my oldest coin.

I live in southern california.

Congrats on the bucket lister. I found a silver thimble early on about 40 years ago, but have never found another, only steel and aluminum since then.