Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My long term hunting pardner was admitted to HOSPICE today.

John LA

I'm going to be lost. I'll probably scale back some of my hunting. May even sell a detector or two. At 77 I'm just about too old to hunt anyway.

Sorry to hear that. I went through the same thing. Join a club. Maybe you can find a newbie that would benefit from your experience.

It is tough loosing a long time partner of any kind, but if your health is good, don't give up something you seemingly enjoy. Detecting is a healthy past time. Good luck! HH jim tn

John, I'm sorry to hear your hunting pardner is no longer able to enjoy this great hobby with you. Don't stop detecting, it's a hobby you enjoy and he will enjoy sharing your finds with him. Good luck !

but if my Dad can still ride his bike regularly at 91, you're probably young enuff to keep swinging.

It will definitely be a big change 4 you, but keep yourself moving.

Dad's #1 rule is "Don't get old"

Good luck to you and your friend

John, I'm sorry to hear about your partner. If you're in decent physical condition you can hunt for many more years. Last year there was a 77 year old woman on our tour metal detecting in England and who was among the top few in finds. The year before last we had a guy who was 85 that missed last year because of surgery, but is scheduled to be back in September. I hate to detect by myself, too, but don't give up. Maybe joining a metal detecting club is a good idea. Skip

I have watched many people come and go... Be it in mind or soul.... Never once did I hear one say...."Give up your joy and sulk in my pain/passing" They always told me to live life to its fullest and live life like they could. I may only be 36 but i have watched many go sick ...... Family, friend and even ones I hardly knew all have said the same.

Please John....don't give up you metal detecting. If you told your hunting buddy that you are not going to detect any more because of his unfortunate condition, he would not be happy with that decision. Carry on hunting....it will bring back some great memories of the two of you. You are not too old too hunt. Metal detecting will add years to your life and give it more meaning. My prayers are with the both of you.

John LA said:
I'm going to be lost. I'll probably scale back some of my hunting. May even sell a detector or two. At 77 I'm just about too old to hunt anyway.
John------Give yourself a little time on this issue & don't make any decisions one way or the other (about hunt time, selling detectors, etc.).-----Time has a way of taking care of a LOT of things.------I'm 72 yrs. old and my very best friend & hunting pardner is my wife.------If I would loose her, I'm sure I would feel the same way as you are feeling right now.-----It would be very hard for me to continue detecting (maybe impossible), there are so many wonderful memories.-----On the other hand, maybe that is just what I (or you) would need as part of the "healing process" of loosing a dear friend as a hunting pardner.------I'm sure that's what my wife would want for me if I so chose to continue detecting and I'm sure that's what your friend would want for you also if you made that choice.------I hope these words helps you in some way.-----I do know (especially at our age) that detecting is excellent mental AND physical exercise----What-ever your decision, keep active with something.-----------God Bless, Del

Hi John,

My first partner was in his 70s when I met him. I was about 13 - He taught me the ropes and I helped him dig deeper or harder to retrieve targets while he taught me how to hunt, how to dig, where to hunt, etc. It was a great friendship that lasted for about 10 years that I remember to this day, and I am thanking for having met someone who loved the hobby as much as he did.

Very sorry about your friend...

- Muddyshoes

Very sorry to hear that John. May the Lord comfort you both. I doubt your partner would want you to give up what both of you loved doing so much together. Soldier on in their memory, dedicate any future finds to a local museum in their memory - as sad and as tough as it is, try to be as positive as you can. It will help you grieve and heal.

II have an older hunting buddy that I met a couple months ago. Old LJ. It is alot more fun hunting with a friend, than by yourself.
We have hunted most every day for the last two months and a good friendship has been created.

LJ is 80 almost 81 and he is every bit as quick and agile as I am at 66. We hunt 3 to 4 hours at a click and he never lags one bit.
It has been a little warm the last week or so, be we keep after it. Hunting with someone else makes both people learn more. His strengths
As a dectorist make me better. He hunts slower than I do, so that has made me slow down. I'm more methodical and tend to search more
Thorough. That help him do the same.

Together we have found over 600 quarters, 6 rings and loads of other stuff in the last couple of weeks. Fun, fun.

I,m so sorry your buddy has become I'll. All we can do is help others accomplish what they want to do. My prayer go out to you
Both.

CB

I don't know about that. I am 78 and wishing some of the heat would go away so I can get back to water hunting and swinging my AT Pro for coins also. What a detector. Programable water machine and then turn around and it's a great land machine. Been detecting 35 years. Wish I would have had this thing years ago......Jack

We are all saddened. But I think your buddy would want you to keep detecting. It would be a testament to your everlasting friendship. And you might find a whippersnapper to pass your knowledge to. Those that we care deeply for do not want us to stop living if they are no longer present. They are never gone. We just can't see them with our eyes.

dont' give up jhon. i know some people with the detector and they're 85. don t drop the hope. just force yourself to go forward and find someone to share that amazing hobby. u'll be stronger enough!!!

i1jab on this forum is a friend of mine and he is more than 80's...so...push yourself and dont let u go ...

a big hug