Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My midas machine

robinb

I was out at a local beach on friday morning.

Found a spot where lots of stuff was coming up, all old.

[attachment 314420 DSCF4271copy.jpg]

All silver so I thought. (SS in middle )

Put it in the tumbler overnight to shine up and had a pleasant surprise in the morning.

[attachment 314422 DSCF4275copy.jpg]

The cross and chain had turned into gold.

cross was 18k and chain 9k

I must put more stuff in my midas machine :clapping:

You have very good hunting spot to come up with that much jewelry. ...congrats on the cool finds... how much you charge to convert stainless and silver to gold..lol..

bootyhoundpa said:
You have very good hunting spot to come up with that much jewelry. ...congrats on the cool finds... how much you charge to convert stainless and silver to gold..lol..

Thanks, I found another 2 very old silver rings in the same spot today. Lots of old coins, strange as its only 2 or 3 meters off the shore line which I do all the time but obviously the sand has been eroded just there. Though not visibly.

I must have several hundred grams of stainless steel rings....

Maybe I should put them in my machine to see....:crazy:

Good silver count there, you really look like your having a good year, on all!

robinb said:
All silver so I thought ... Put it in the tumbler overnight to shine up ... The cross and chain had turned into gold.

I need to get a new tumbler! Mine has failed to do that in some 10 years of use! :rofl:

Congrats on the loot! Never know what the local beaches will turn up.
Cheers,
tvr

OldBeechnut said:
Good silver count there, you really look like your having a good year, on all!

Thanks Joe, yes since may it has picked up a lot, but its all old stuff. Some gold as well.:wiggle:

Finally as of this weekend the depositors have arrived on the beaches, but so far still old bits. But soon ....

dobbratacus said:
Excellent finds. You have piqued my interest. Please tell us more about your cleaning technique. Thanks.
I use a lortone tumbler, water, stainless steel balls, washing up liquid and sometimes some polishing powder.
The chain in this case was badly coated with black as it had been in the sea for so long, so i put coarse grit to remove, took overnight as the standard clean I do was not shifting it.
It worked its magic.

Tumbler did the job for you! Going the have to go down to Harbor Freight and pick a tumbler up myself. You hit a great find spot, keep hitting it before it sands back in.
Matt

I went back and found 2 more silver rings to add to the collection in the same spot.

Again very old and been there a long time.

Still treasure!!

I'd put the elephant back into the tumbler and finish turning it to all to gold. (I love that type of ring!)
If that works, try a few lead sinkers. If that works, please let me barrow your tumbler.
I have used several but have had no luck, yet. Maybe it is the media or solution you are using.
I have turned several nickels to copper by tumbling them with copper pennies. Maybe I just need
a bit more practice...Keep up the great finds and thread.

WaterWalker said:
I'd put the elephant back into the tumbler and finish turning it to all to gold. (I love that type of ring!)
If that works, try a few lead sinkers. If that works, please let me barrow your tumbler.
I have used several but have had no luck, yet. Maybe it is the media or solution you are using.
I have turned several nickels to copper by tumbling them with copper pennies. Maybe I just need
a bit more practice...Keep up the great finds and thread.

The nickels are already 75% copper so maybe that has something to with it?

-pete